OT: Cape Cod - What to do/Where to eat | The Boneyard

OT: Cape Cod - What to do/Where to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Starting Saturday, I'll be in West Yarmouth for a family week, ages 2-72. I'm the younger grandmother's significant other, and we're with her daughter, son-in-law, 4 kids, and the other grandparents.

When I was in college, I remember going to the top of a lighthouse in Provincetown and to Race Point beach. 20 years ago, I visited a friend in Wellfleet where we biked the inland path and swam in Truro's fresh water ponds.

And that's pretty much all I know about the Cape, especially the mid-Cape where we'll be.

So, while the post-Chukwu-Abu-Snider-White-Larrier drama of Robinson-Newberry-Colson-Lyle-Kasongo morphs into something else . . . I'm looking for suggestions on what to do, where to go, good sunsets/special beaches, side trips, what to avoid, and what & where to eat.

Could be family activities, dinner for the grown-ps, or suggestions for our just-two-of-us overnight on the Upper Cape on Tuesday.

We'll have bicycles for path-riding & exploring, and we're a pretty active bunch.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
A few suggestions:
Captain Parkers Pub in West Yarmouth, Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch out of Provincetown, Horseleach Pond in Truro (very secluded beach), Go Karts/Mini Golf etc for the kids in South Yarmouth on route 28, Pancake Man in South Yarmouth for breakfast, Cape Cod Baseball Museum on Main Street in Hyannis. All have been good for me and my family over the years. The Whale Watch was fantastic.

Reaction Score
A few suggestions:
Captain Parkers Pub in West Yarmouth, Dolphin Fleet Whale Watch out of Provincetown, Horseleach Pond in Truro (very secluded beach), Go Karts/Mini Golf etc for the kids in South Yarmouth on route 28, Pancake Man in South Yarmouth for breakfast, Cape Cod Baseball Museum on Main Street in Hyannis. All have been good for me and my family over the years. The Whale Watch was fantastic.

Pancake Man in South Yarmouth brings back so many memories. As a kid our family used to eat there on our Cape Cod vacations. Love those Silver Dollar pancakes!!!!!!!! ;)

Enjoy your Cape Cod visit in good health and continued prosperity.

Have fun Hans!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The bayside beaches in Dennis and Brewster are very nice - they're wide, flat and sandy, especially at low tide.

If you want to see seals, head to the beaches at Chatham. If you want to see sharks, head to the beaches at Chatham and swim with a steak in each hand.

Obviously, the rail trail is there for biking. If you're looking for a hike, the Great Island Trail in Wellfleet is a nice hike through dunes, forest and ultimately, the seashore. Nickerson State Park is nice as well.

There is a trampoline park in South Yarmouth for kids.

If you want to eat like a grown-up, Brewster Fish House (Brewster), Academy Grill (Orleans), Wicked Oyster (Wellfleet) and Impudent Oyster (Chatham) are some of our favorites. Personally, the Impudent Oyster is perhaps my favorite restaurants - it's small (make reservations) and it can be a little noisy, but my wife and I really like it.

If you find yourself anywhere near Orleans, go to the Hot Chocolate Sparrow - it's a coffee/dessert place that's open until 11 or so. Very informal, coffee and desserts are great and it has a great crowd from 25-85. (It's right off the rail trail in Orleans.)

My inlaws like the Old Yarmouth Inn in Yarmouth Port - it's good as well.

If you're eating out with kids, they're going to order chicken tenders, so it doesn't much matter where you go.

Reaction Score
The bayside beaches in Dennis and Brewster are very nice - they're wide, flat and sandy, especially at low tide.

If you want to see seals, head to the beaches at Chatham. If you want to see sharks, head to the beaches at Chatham and swim with a steak in each hand.

Obviously, the rail trail is there for biking. If you're looking for a hike, the Great Island Trail in Wellfleet is a nice hike through dunes, forest and ultimately, the seashore. Nickerson State Park is nice as well.

There is a trampoline park in South Yarmouth for kids.

If you want to eat like a grown-up, Brewster Fish House (Brewster), Academy Grill (Orleans), Wicked Oyster (Wellfleet) and Impudent Oyster (Chatham) are some of our favorites. Personally, the Impudent Oyster is perhaps my favorite restaurants - it's small (make reservations) and it can be a little noisy, but my wife and I really like it.

If you find yourself anywhere near Orleans, go to the Hot Chocolate Sparrow - it's a coffee/dessert place that's open until 11 or so. Very informal, coffee and desserts are great and it has a great crowd from 25-85. (It's right off the rail trail in Orleans.)

My inlaws like the Old Yarmouth Inn in Yarmouth Port - it's good as well.

If you're eating out with kids, they're going to order chicken tenders, so it doesn't much matter where you go.

Love Chatham and Old Yarmouth Inn is great with that charming old bookstore across the street. Not sure if that bookstore is still in existence. It has been a while since I ate at the Old Yarmouth Inn. It went through some renovations several years ago but still holds that charm. Great watching the fisherman's boats come in on the Chatham fish pier. Saw 1 great white shark sighting near the pier for the obvious reasons many years ago.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
2 words:

Sam Diego's in Hyannis (they're in Plymouth, too)

Twelve years ago I got a Tshirt there and have power worn that thing and to this day is my fave. The collar is worn to but I don't care. I fully endorse the tee shirt unless they went cheap on it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Parnassus Book Service.

I don't know if it's still open - it was definitely open last fall, but the guy who had owned it for 50+ years passed away since then.

I'm not sure another person would be capable of doing it.

Reaction Score
That's interesting. Just read an article on the deceased owner of PBS. Not to many book stores like that 1 anymore. :(

THC

Reaction Score
Keltic Kitchen in West Yarmouth for breakfast, and Sesuit Harbor Cafe in Dennis for lobster rolls.

Reaction Score
Not sure if Arnold's in Eastham (on Rt 6) will even be opened... but my wife and adult kids like their seafood. Always packed in-season.

Reaction Score
Great bay side beaches in Dennis (Corporation and Mayflower Beach). Both are incredibly kid friendly -- no big surf and large and long sandbars at low tide.

If in the town of Dennis, check out the Wee Packet for breakfast -- small joint, but great.

An absolute must is Sundae School in Dennisport...best home made ice cream ever. I think it may only be open on weekends off season. You won't want to miss it.

Reaction Score
Starting Saturday, I'll be in West Yarmouth for a family week, ages 2-72. I'm the younger grandmother's significant other, and we're with her daughter, son-in-law, 4 kids, and the other grandparents.

When I was in college, I remember going to the top of a lighthouse in Provincetown and to Race Point beach. 20 years ago, I visited a friend in Wellfleet where we biked the inland path and swam in Truro's fresh water ponds.

And that's pretty much all I know about the Cape, especially the mid-Cape where we'll be.

So, while the post-Chukwu-Abu-Snider-White-Larrier drama of Robinson-Newberry-Colson-Lyle-Kasongo morphs into something else . . . I'm looking for suggestions on what to do, where to go, good sunsets/special beaches, side trips, what to avoid, and what & where to eat.

Could be family activities, dinner for the grown-ps, or suggestions for our just-two-of-us overnight on the Upper Cape on Tuesday.

We'll have bicycles for path-riding & exploring, and we're a pretty active bunch.
Thanks in advance.
Great bay side beaches in Dennis (Corporation and Mayflower Beach). Both are incredibly kid friendly -- no big surf and large and long sandbars at low tide.
Alouette in Chatham, the sandwich shop on the corner of Queen Ann's Road and 137 (the Corner Store) is good for coffee, muffins, sandwiches. The Birdwatcher's General Store in Orleans is unusual. The National Seashore has a number of events, check the online schedule. There is a little shopping center on Route 6 in Brewster which has some neat and different shops. Main Street in Chatham
has some interesting shops. Friends Market in Orleans (next to the library) has a good selection of wines at excellent discounts.
If in the town of Dennis, check out the Wee Packet for breakfast -- small joint, but great.

An absolute must is Sundae School in Dennisport...best home made ice cream ever. I think it may only be open on weekends off season. You won't want to miss it.

Reaction Score
Always go to Captain Parkers for their clam chowder. Unfortunately the best place on the cape closes on Labor day. That is the Beachcomber in Wellfleet. It is still nice to take a ride there and check out the 75 ft sand dune. Sam Diegos in Hyannis is good for Mexican. If your biking the rail trail cruise through the national seashore to Coast Guard Beach.

Reaction Score
Grumpy's in Dennis for breakfast. Sundae School in Harwich and Dennis for Ice Cream. Sundowners in Dennis for "cougar patrol" Chatham Bars Inn for quaint cocktails. The Squire for a rowdier time.

Reaction Score
My wife and I go to the Cape almost every year for a few days in October. We always do the Dolphin Fleet whale watch out of Provincetown, and hit the Hot Chocolate Sparrow in Orleans at least once. Favorite restaurants include the Jailhouse Tavern in Orleans, and Van Rensselaer's in Wellfleet.

Reaction Score
this is weird... From Chicago but I am in Orleans for my uncle's wedding as we speak. Might have to check some of these out.

I am at the Orleans Inn right now which is supposedly haunted.....

Reaction Score
this is weird... From Chicago but I am in Orleans for my uncle's wedding as we speak. Might have to check some of these out.

I am at the Orleans Inn right now which is supposedly haunted.....
The Yardarm is close to you and usually pretty good. It is small though.

Reaction Score
HI, I live in Dennisport for the past 37 years. The Oyster Company in Dennisport is a real good restaurant. Brax Landing in Harwichport is right on Saquatucket Harbor on rt. 28. Pate's in Chatham is very good. Grumpy's is the best place for breakfast (rt. 6A Dennis) as mentioned by another poster. If you get to Sandwich, the Dan'l Webster Inn on main street is a good place and Heritage Museum is Sandwich has a Shaker barn full of custom cars among other exhibits. The Ocean House in Dennisport is a great restaurant (reservations required). For Italian food Villa Roma in Harwich (rt. 28) and Alberto's on main street Hyannis are both good. In Provincetown Napi's and the Lobster Pot restaurant and both good.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Thanks in advance.

Live in Truro. A few things to consider, water temps are 60-63 degrees so consider the kettle ponds for swimming. Great Pond off Collins Road in Truro is my favorite, but Gull Pond in Wellfleet is great too. Kayaking into the Pamet River is great to watch migrating birds, be wary of tides. Whale watching is fun. If you want to see the seals that are attracting the sharks to our ocean beaches head out to High Head or Head of the Meadow. Provincetown, climb the Pilgrim Monument great views. Food wise with kids try Moby Dicks on Route 6 or Mac's Shack both in Wellfleet. For adult dinners someone said Wicked Oyster, which is good, but the chef that started it all is now runing THe Blackfish in Truro Center. Truro Winery is great too.
I will think of some more but have to go.

Reaction Score
Since you'll be in the mid Cape area, many good restaurants along Main Street in Hyannis. Alberto's, Roadhouse, Columbo's, Black Cat, Naked Oyster to name a few. Tugboats at the Hyannis Marina should still be open, great view of the harbor. http://www.hyannismainstreet.com/business-directory/food-district/page/1/
Head over to Island's clothing on Main Street to get your Tommy Bahama on.

Craigville Beach in Centerville is a great bathing beach, warm water, no big surf. In West Yarmouth there's always Sea Gull Beach.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
For entertainment, especially if it is too cloudy for the beaches, you can drive around and around in a rotary for a few hours, dodging merging cars. The kids will love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom