OT: Buying a Kayak | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a Kayak

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Any suggestions on where best to buy a kayak?

Also - suggestions for what to buy? One person kayak, for fishing in freshwater.

Reaction Score

Also - suggestions for what to buy? One person kayak, for fishing in freshwater.

My suggestion in watch if you can't sleep tom and worry about buying kayaks between the hours of 7am and 7pm.

Reaction Score
Friends of mine do a lot of kayaking and they swear by a store in Collinsville, CT: Collinsville Canoe and Kayak.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
How much do you want to spend, $400 - $3,000? Sit-in or on-top? Paddle or pedal? The options have exploded recently. Classic case where google is your best friend. Craigslist is a good place to look.

Reaction Score
Agree with Samoo above. Also need to consider how you will transport it to wherever you will be using it (trunk, trailer, roof rack, etc). Kayaking in the ocean, river or lake are all different.

Reaction Score
My wife bought one at Dick's and another at a kayak store somewhere. Last year Marshalls had some pretty decent one's in the spring at their bigger stores.

(can't even write a damn store name?) lol

Last edited by a moderator:

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I have a buddy who is seriously into kayak fishing. He ended up upgrading kayaks repeatedly because the features of the next model up were too enticing.

He tells me the foot pedal/steering lets him troll at any speed while fishing. It gives him almost all the versatility of a bass boat except standing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Friends of mine do a lot of kayaking and they swear by a store in Collinsville, CT: Collinsville Canoe and Kayak.

Yeah, there used to be two places, North Cove in Old Saybrook and Collinsville Canoe in Collinsville. We got ours at North Cove but it has since gone out of business. I believe Collinsville still does what North Cove used to do; i.e., have various times during the year (including at least once in late Spring) when you can go try all of the ones that they sell. That's the best way to decide what you like best.

How much do you want to spend, $400 - $3,000? Sit-in or on-top? Paddle or pedal? The options have exploded recently. Classic case where google is your best friend. Craigslist is a good place to look.
After finding out which one(s) you like best, definitely check Craigslist. A lot of people sell used ones, often in excellent condition.

FWIW, we have two from Wilderness Systems and they have been great, but we use them primarily in salt water, and ours convert from single to tandem, so they are probably a bit more than you're looking for. Both have rudders that are controlled by foot pedals, but again I'm not sure you need that in fresh water.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

If you insist on new this is the best place in the area. I would suggest used if you can. Those things depreciate worse than an old Yugos. Invest any extra money on a lightweight paddle.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

If you want to buy a 1 person fishing kayak there is only one place to go Hobie. The pedal system is great for manuevering the kayak while fishing. Also you want the sit on not sit in type of kayak (think of bringing in an angry bluefish into a small cockpit!). Hobie kayaks are not great for just kayaking as they are not fast due to the fact they are quite wide for stability. If you just want Tyler Phommachanh kayak I have a Wilderness Systems. You want a rudder in the back to help you point the kayak in case of higher winds.
Have fun

Reaction Score
Cheap kayak for putzing around a lake I would go to http://m.dickssportinggoods.com. If you want to do some serious yakking then put in some good research first because it'll be some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

If drinking is involved, get the outrigger model.

Reaction Score
Early last spring I was driving west on route 4 towards Collinsville , cold and windy day, the Farmington River on my right when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a guy whose kayak was lodged against a rock in the middle of the river, he was in the water and hanging on for dear life as the water rushed by, and a friend nearby trying to figure out how to save him. You're talking 40 degree water. No mention of him in the paper the next day so I guess he made it. Nice sport.

Reaction Score
Early last spring I was driving west on route 4 towards Collinsville , cold and windy day, the Farmington River on my right when out of the corner of my eye I noticed a guy whose kayak was lodged against a rock in the middle of the river, he was in the water and hanging on for dear life as the water rushed by, and a friend nearby trying to figure out how to save him. You're talking 40 degree water. No mention of him in the paper the next day so I guess he made it. Nice sport.

You missed your chance to be a hero by just driving by. He wasn't in the paper because they still havnt found the body yet.

Reaction Score
They had wet suits I didn't. Had I tried to do something, it would've been my body that was being recovered. At least on rivers these kayakers seem to always be stressed out when I see them. I like to save my stress for UCONN games.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Ocean State Joblot
Definitely the best call for the cheap sit-on top ones that our kids use. We've gotten a couple of them there.

Reaction Score
They had wet suits I didn't. Had I tried to do something, it would've been my body that was being recovered. At least on rivers these kayakers seem to always be stressed out when I see them. I like to save my stress for UCONN games.

do you own a cell phone?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
do you own a cell phone?
Yeah, and that's another thing it would have gotten my cell phone all wet so I wouldn't have been able to make any.... aw crap, never mind.

Reaction Score
I have a buddy who is seriously into kayak fishing. He ended up upgrading kayaks repeatedly because the features of the next model up were too enticing.

He tells me the foot pedal/steering lets him troll at any speed while fishing. It gives him almost all the versatility of a bass boat except standing.

gotta hang a 200hp Merc outboard off that thing to beat the other guys to the best holes.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ok now "p*r*" is prom? can't win
Weird thing is knowing you I thought prom was a p*r* film you were recommending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom