OT: Buying a Kayak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Buying a Kayak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you haven't already try googling "best fishing kayak" and choose the "onthewater.com" link. This has lots of good info and suggested boats.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Any suggestions on where best to buy a kayak?

Also - suggestions for what to buy? One person kayak, for fishing in freshwater.

You want to be able to stand and cast? I use one down here in the marshes, but with no tides, I get a nice 10 foot sit on top. You'll move very well in lakes on that. For ocean, you want something longer that will track well.

I have a Feelfree Lure 11.5. Not that nimble, but I can stand, paddle, and cast.

Reaction Score
Hobie kayaks are great. You can peddle them easily and they go just as fast as paddling, leaves your hands free for fishing. If you're looking for something cheaper and lighter, Costco sells a nice kayak for about $400 which you can carry easily and its comfortable to sit in, can take a lot of abuse.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I had one once. Sold it the day after I first used it. Let's just say that kayak fishing was not for me. Or vice versa.

Be that as it may, lots of my fishing buddies have yaks. Most of them have Hobies with the pedals. They are not for white water, but these guys do everything from secluded and tranquil bass ponds to stripers and blues in the Sound. There are a ton of them that fish the tidal Housy all winter long. If I was to ever consider trying a yak again, (I'm not) I would go the Hobie route.

Plus, you can definitely get away faster in a pedal powered yak.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
maxresdefault.jpg

No. Sitting.

If you'll be sitting most of the time, I'd look for something that at least has a seat that goes up/down. You want to give yourself a little bit of that angle so your line isn't in the water and you can present the bait correctly.

If fishing is just ancillary for you, just get a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 10 or 12 and call it a day. Dick's may have a knock of version of that same hull design for $400, whereas the WS kayaks are $700.

Here is what I've got, notice the seat is up, but can be set all the way down as well:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
fishing is just ancillary for you, just get a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 10 or 12 and call it a day.

^^ This.

I wasn't interested in the pedal option until I saw the video I posted yesterday. My biggest priority is comfort and weight.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
They even them with small coolers. My daughter and her family are into it. Just saw a news clip this morning on a guy and his daughter fishing in Louisiana. Hooked a huge alligator.
I wish you much fun, jsut don't go to LA for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom