OT - Buying a House | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Buying a House

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh , Ive already made up my mind. Im going to New Haven.

She just doesnt like that im narrowing my search to Fair Haven and the Hill (between Howard ave and Davenport) neighborhoods . I want to stretch my housing dollars for a bit.

That’s a brutal work commute. Thoughts and prayers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Train, brah. The train.

I didn’t know they extended Thomas the Tank to both New Haven and East Haddam.

East Haddam - now that’s a scene. You’ve got the theatre people AND high density Eastern CT hillbillies.

Love La Vita.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I didn’t know they extended Thomas the Tank to both New Haven and East Haddam.

Shoreline east ride between New Haven and Westbrook puts me 3 miles from work

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Shoreline east ride between New Haven and Westbrook puts me 3 miles from work

I thought you worked by the bridge in East Haddam. Westbrook is nice place to be Labor Day - Memorial Day.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I thought you worked by the bridge in East Haddam. Westbrook is nice place to be Labor Day - Memorial Day.

Nope I work in Essex.

I can throw a rock and hit that stupid Thomas the tank engine from my office.

it was running last weekend. Got caught in traffic again. What a beat down.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
And only 75 minutes from any place of employment.
I 1/2 wonder (The other half does give a sheete) if he was trying to be 1/2 pithy, based on the name of the town. The funny thing in that case is Hampton would be west of East Hampton.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
East Haddam - now that’s a scene. You’ve got the theatre people AND high density Eastern CT hillbillies.

East Haddam is actually one of my favorite towns that side of the River, ALONG the river is my caveat though. Some absolutely stunning pieces of property in that town.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I joined the board that runs Old Home Days just to have your band unplugged during your set.

thats fine dude. I get paid either way. We have a gig immediately after our old home days set in downtown Norwich, so the sooner you unplug us the easier you make it on us.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
thats fine dude. I get paid either way. We have a gig immediately after our old home days set in downtown Norwich, so the sooner you unplug us the easier you make it on us.

You didn’t get Friday night? Consider a motion raised at the next board meeting.

Reaction Score
Lol, so I'm reading through this thinking this is pretty good stuff, until I got to this. Really Frank? Really? And here I thought that I take it pretty easy on you.

Thanks for the laugh.
Dude! I didn't mean you! I meant the other guy, but I screwed up his handle. It's the guy with the flowery profile of a head looking to the left, as I recall.
A while back I posted I often did "mostly pro bono" work and he busted my butt for the "mostly" part.
I was trying for him when I posted this.
Sorry! Lol. I'll look at any contract you have for a house.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why put as little down as possible? Waiving PMI is a good thing, but it’s not a back breaker?
Put as little down on the offer to buy with the Seller when you present the Contract (agreement) offer to the Seller.
When you go to finance the house, the amount of the down payment you should put down depends on multiple factors. If you can axe PMI with a larger down payment, that works.
In today's economy, however, cash is king - I'd put down as little as possible on the loan after the PMI drops off, unless you have scads of money. You can always pay off your loan early - tougher to get the money back out after you've made the payment. Particularly true of cars and such.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A friend recently was talking to me about the idea of being "house poor", where essentially all of your money goes into the mortgage, taxes, utilities, insurance and upkeep. But, obviously the trade off is equity in a home.

I've read a line of thought that advocates to renting and put the difference in expenditures (between home owning costs and rent) straight into the market and that at the end of the day the market return would be comparable to what your houses value would end up being. I haven't ran all the numbers, but I intend to take a look into this.

While I completely understand the idea of home ownership, I think the idea that you are completely wasting money renting isn't entirely true; if you're making sound decisions with your cash.

Any thoughts?

This is an increasingly accepted view. Similar to what I posted earlier. My parents house appreciated 1000% in 30 years, it was worth 10x what they paid. It was an investment that paid for every car they ever owned and expensive college educations for two kids plus a good chunk of their retirement. I've been in my current house for 15 years and it is worth about 5% more than I paid for it. It is the biggest difference in financial terms between baby boomers and everyone else. Unless your area becomes the next hot market, your primary home is not going to be a good investment in terms of return. It may end up being cheaper than renting if you are there long enough but not if you are moving. Put it this way, the interest on a 300k mortgage at 4% is $515K over 30 years. Your rent would need to be triple your mortgage payment if you exclude appreciation. If you include appreciation of 3%/yr, after 30 years your house will be "worth" 728K - the 515K you paid in interest nets 213K or $591/month in rent equivalent after 30 years. Is your rent going to be $600 more than your mortgage P&I + taxes + PMI + maintenance?

Hard to see on a starter home and even worse for one you plan to spend 5 years in. Homes just aren't the investments they once were.

Build your emergency fund, fund your retirement accounts as much as possible, for the love of God take full advantage of your companies 401K match.

Meet or beat the 50/30/20 rule; Spend no more than 50% of your earnings on stuff you need (housing/food/transportation), 30% on stuff you want (everything else), and 20% on your savings/retirement fund. The last number is the most important if you ever want to be financially independent.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude! I didn't mean you! I meant the other guy, but I screwed up his handle. It's the guy with the flowery profile of a head looking to the left, as I recall.
A while back I posted I often did "mostly pro bono" work and he busted my butt for the "mostly" part.
I was trying for him when I posted this.
Sorry! Lol. I'll look at any contract you have for a house.

@8893

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You didn’t get Friday night? Consider a motion raised at the next board meeting.
Saturday late afternoon 430 -6 or something. Worked perfect for us. Double pay day. . My friends are playing Friday night though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is an increasingly accepted view. Similar to what I posted earlier. My parents house appreciated 1000% in 30 years, it was worth 10x what they paid. It was an investment that paid for every car they ever owned and expensive college educations for two kids plus a good chunk of their retirement. I've been in my current house for 15 years and it is worth about 5% more than I paid for it. It is the biggest difference in financial terms between baby boomers and everyone else. Unless your area becomes the next hot market, your primary home is not going to be a good investment in terms of return. It may end up being cheaper than renting if you are there long enough but not if you are moving. Put it this way, the interest on a 300k mortgage at 4% is $515K over 30 years. Your rent would need to be triple your mortgage payment if you exclude appreciation. If you include appreciation of 3%/yr, after 30 years your house will be "worth" 728K - the 515K you paid in interest nets 213K or $591/month in rent equivalent after 30 years. Is your rent going to be $600 more than your mortgage P&I + taxes + PMI + maintenance?

Hard to see on a starter home and even worse for one you plan to spend 5 years in. Homes just aren't the investments they once were.

Build your emergency fund, fund your retirement accounts as much as possible, for the love of God take full advantage of your companies 401K match.

Meet or beat the 50/30/20 rule; Spend no more than 50% of your earnings on stuff you need (housing/food/transportation), 30% on stuff you want (everything else), and 20% on your savings/retirement fund. The last number is the most important if you ever want to be financially independent.

You even skipped the 5-6% you lose in the sale.

Essentially like many businesses people spend way too much time worrying about the expense side and not the revenue side.

You are much better off investing your time and efforts to grow your top line rather than minimizing expenses.

If you are young, you are much better off spending your time investing in your career than mowing your lawn or raking leaves.

Live in a condo and throw yourself into your job - the top line growth is virtually unlimited - what you can save mowing your own lawn is pennies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
East Haddam is actually one of my favorite towns that side of the River, ALONG the river is my caveat though. Some absolutely stunning pieces of property in that town.

It's no Hebron. That's for sure.

Reaction Score
Not sure why no one else has mentioned this, but why not Manchester?
I lived in Manchester for 11 months in one of the Mills back in 1995 for 22 months. Ditched the lease early, with penalty, to GTFUDGEOUT.
Thought the place was a hole. Went there on a whim because it was rated highly in CT magazine and was between UConn and Hartford, where we studied and worked, respectively.
The day I wanted out was when I walked into a convenience store near the Mills and there were adult videos, with explicit cover scenes, by the front door on ready display.
That was the place where I bought my first handgun and started carrying it. Thought the schools were poor.
Long time ago and we really didn't spend much time out and about, so, granted, limited exposure, but I'd strongly recommend against - PM me if you want more details that would get this post deleted.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom