OT - Buying a House | The Boneyard

OT - Buying a House

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
In CT. I want to stay under $250 because I want this to be more of a starter home...taxes scare me.

So far I’ve been looking in Newington, West Hartford, Southington, Farmingtom, and Berlin. Wanna stay close but the market has been dry.

Does anyone live in Wolcott, Plainville, Meriden, or Bristol? What’s it like there I may expand my search by a few more towns.

Reaction Score
In CT. I want to stay under $250 because I want this to be more of a starter home...taxes scare me.

So far I’ve been looking in Newington, West Hartford, Southington, Farmingtom, and Berlin. Wanna stay close but the market has been dry.

Does anyone live in Wolcott, Plainville, Meriden, or Bristol? What’s it like there I may expand my search by a few more towns.

Cross Meriden and Bristol off list.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Newington is probably your best bet. At that pricepoint in Farmington, Southington, WHartford you’re not going to find much that doesn’t need a remodel. How many beds and baths are you looking at? A particular style? Give Wethersfield a look. Some nice capes or ranches to be had at that price.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Newington is probably your best bet. At that pricepoint in Farmington, Southington, WHartford you’re not going to find much that doesn’t need a remodel. How many beds and baths are you looking at? A particular style? Give Wethersfield a look. Some nice capes to be had at that price.
I’m only 25 and financially I hate the concept of renting.

Don’t like capes - they’re cramped. But I’ve been looking in Southington, Farmington, and WeHa and my price range has been forced towards $300 for anything that doesnt need a new kitchen or significant work.

Do you see the value of Bristol and Meriden properties going down?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Let me know if you could use a Realtor in your search process. My team covers the whole state & referral jobs all over the US. Have completed deals with members of the Boneyard. Believe it or not, some are responsible adults.

Reaction Score

Depends where in Meriden still to this day. While it isn't the city it used to be the outskirts can be very nice and "safe". In other words east side closer to Wallingford/Middletown or west side closer to Cheshire/Southington. But there are better areas, I just needed to stick up for my hometown here. Bristol I know little about so I will let husky supporter hammer that town LOL

I know of a good realtor in Meriden if you'd like her name PM me. Good luck

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I have a realtor already - been looking for 3 months with no success.

Wethersfield a lot of houses have water problems in the basement. And if I move away from the Silas Deane Highway I leave my price range.

A lot of the houses I’ve seen are cheap flip jobs that the seller tries to list a lot higher than what it’s worth. Most of them aren’t willing to drop price since an idiot will come along eventually and offer near full price.

Other than that the houses I’ve seen are either overpriced or need a lot of work. A LOT of work.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Wolcott guy here. You can get into a solid starter for that money here. Depending on your work commute you might want to target on side of town or the other. Theres actually a pretty nice one in my neighborhood on the market right now. Im on the waterbury / souhtington / cheshire side. Id guess taxes on $250k would be between $4500 and $5000 a year. Pm if you want to talk further about the town.

Reaction Score

If you want a starter home, how long are you planning to stay there? If you're looking at 4-5 years, I'd target towns where you'll get good resale value and have good framework in place for young families that would be on the market then. Not sure Wolcott, Plainville, Meriden or Bristol fit the bill in that regard.

Parts of Farmington around West Farms can be nice and still hold some of the tax/financial advantages the rest of Farmington affords them. Southington has good schools and sports and is a big family town. Newington/Wethersfield can also be good in that regard, just stay away from the Berlin Tpke/Silas Deane Hwy and be patient there. Also, you're likely getting .25 acres there max in that price range.

And your #1 friend towards resale is redoing the wood floors while you're there.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
@Deepster

Goal is to stay there for 4-5 years minimum. The hard part is finding a house that needs a little bit of work (floors, paint, roof), but not too much to where they price it outrageously high.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If you don't have kids you have a lot of options.

Reaction Score
Where do you work? Hartford? Noticed you aren’t looking east of the river. Commute to Hartford is miserable from any direction.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Plainville is like...

Southington experienced a Rapture and only 30% of the population was left behind.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Newington is probably your best bet. At that pricepoint in Farmington, Southington, WHartford you’re not going to find much that doesn’t need a remodel. How many beds and baths are you looking at? A particular style? Give Wethersfield a look. Some nice capes or ranches to be had at that price.

Don’t like capes - they’re cramped. But I’ve been looking in Southington, Farmington, and WeHa and my price range has been forced towards $300 for anything that doesnt need a new kitchen or significant work.

My now-wife and at the time girlfriend decided somewhat on a whim that spending $1200 a month on our 600 sqft Glastonbury apt and getting no equity was insane so we bought a nice flip in Manchester and our Mortgage is $1300 for twice the space. We looked in those areas with a max of about $220 and found what you’re finding. Have you checked out Cromwell?

Reaction Score
@Deepster

Goal is to stay there for 4-5 years minimum. The hard part is finding a house that needs a little bit of work (floors, paint, roof), but not too much to where they price it outrageously high.

There federal mortgage programs where they give money for repairs/remodeling and that money is then built into your mortgage.

Think its 203k loan @GemParty probably knows better

Reaction Score

I see the value of anything not in Fairfield County going down. But even at zero increase, it still beats renting.

Of the towns you listed, Plainville is the best bet as there is a lot of inventory of houses in that range that are not falling apart. And it's close to stuff, which is more than you can say for Wolcott.

Reaction Score
In Colorado, the market is outrageous. 1500 sq ft, 3 BR 2 Baths in a working lower middle class neighborhood 340 to 375K on standard 120 by 50 lot. Glad I bought when I did. Toughed out the last housing crisis/crash.
Remember you will also need a whole bunch of stuff you would normally need for an apartment. Wall hanging material, curtains and blinds for every window. Tools and a lawn mower a shovel or 2, a rake, things to think about when buying.

Reaction Score
But I’ve been looking in Southington, Farmington, and WeHa and my price range has been forced towards $300 for anything that doesnt need a new kitchen or significant work.
My (very) wealthy sister and banker husband bought and sold several houses during their economic ascension. His theory was this - always buy the crappiest house in the neighborhood. Then fix it up while you are there. When you sell, you get the best value back. Also, by buying the crappiest house in the neighborhood, you end up in the best neighborhood you can afford.
I do a lot of real estate work and I've moved enough to have purchased four houses for myself.
General thoughts:
Neighborhood/school is most important if you have kids. Care less about how pretty your kitchen is or what needs a remodel and care more about who the neighbors are and how good the school is.
Commute to work/school is important, but for me - and it's personal - I'd spend 10 extra minutes in the car each day for a significantly better place. I don't really mind car time, however.
Realtors, with few exceptions, work for the deal, not the client (save your breath BY realtors - I'm impervious to your mind tricks). Remember that. You have to be your own best advocate, for all aspects of the deal, from offer price, to down payment, to negotiations. When I sold a place in DC in 05, my Realtor wanted to start at a price 80k below my price. I insisted on my price. Got two full price offers on the 1st day on the market.
That written, a realtor doesn't cost you anything as the buyer - use them to unlock doors at your whim. Any contract you sign with a realtor you should keep to a minimum duration. Very easy to find another if need be if the 1st doesn't want to re-up.
Use your own independent inspector. They are out there. If you use the one that your Buyer's realtor suggests, you will likely be getting a rubber-stamper that will flag a few minor issues but will not flag anything substantial, because as soon as he gets the reputation as a deal-killer, he gets no more calls.
Put as little down as possible. If the real estate market is hot, you may have to put down more "good faith" money. In reality, standard Realtor contracts are garbage, and easily gotten out of by either side, so there is not much risk, as long as you follow the timelines in the contract for getting out.
Be careful of "liquidated damages" provisions in the contract. Feel free to send me a contract BEFORE you sign - I'll review it for free. That goes for any BY regulars buying a house (except for CL - for him, mostly free).
Keep us updated and good luck.
BTW - lived in Newington and Simsbury. Newington was nice. Down to earth, decent school, regular folk. Good location. Bit cramped. Simsbury was richer, idyllic, good school, with rich kid problems. Bit out of the way. Lived in Newington in the late 90s and in Simsbury in the mid 2000s, so not really current.
Good luck.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Plainville is like...

Southington experienced a Rapture and only 30% of the population was left behind.
I’m from the area so I understand this well.
Where do you work? Hartford? Noticed you aren’t looking east of the river. Commute to Hartford is miserable from any direction.
Middletown or East Hartford.
My (very) wealthy sister and banker husband bought and sold several houses during their economic ascension. His theory was this - always buy the crappiest house in the neighborhood. Then fix it up while you are there. When you sell, you get the best value back. Also, by buying the crappiest house in the neighborhood, you end up in the best neighborhood you can afford.
I do a lot of real estate work and I've moved enough to have purchased four houses for myself.
General thoughts:
Neighborhood/school is most important if you have kids. Care less about how pretty your kitchen is or what needs a remodel and care more about who the neighbors are and how good the school is.
Commute to work/school is important, but for me - and it's personal - I'd spend 10 extra minutes in the car each day for a significantly better place. I don't really mind car time, however.
Realtors, with few exceptions, work for the deal, not the client (save your breath BY realtors - I'm impervious to your mind tricks). Remember that. You have to be your own best advocate, for all aspects of the deal, from offer price, to down payment, to negotiations. When I sold a place in DC in 05, my Realtor wanted to start at a price 80k below my price. I insisted on my price. Got two full price offers on the 1st day on the market.
That written, a realtor doesn't cost you anything as the buyer - use them to unlock doors at your whim. Any contract you sign with a realtor you should keep to a minimum duration. Very easy to find another if need be if the 1st doesn't want to re-up.
Use your own independent inspector. They are out there. If you use the one that your Buyer's realtor suggests, you will likely be getting a rubber-stamper that will flag a few minor issues but will not flag anything substantial, because as soon as he gets the reputation as a deal-killer, he gets no more calls.
Put as little down as possible. If the real estate market is hot, you may have to put down more "good faith" money. In reality, standard Realtor contracts are garbage, and easily gotten out of by either side, so there is not much risk, as long as you follow the timelines in the contract for getting out.
Be careful of "liquidated damages" provisions in the contract. Feel free to send me a contract BEFORE you sign - I'll review it for free. That goes for any BY regulars buying a house (except for CL - for him, mostly free).
Keep us updated and good luck.
BTW - lived in Newington and Simsbury. Newington was nice. Down to earth, decent school, regular folk. Good location. Bit cramped. Simsbury was richer, idyllic, good school, with rich kid problems. Bit out of the way. Lived in Newington in the late 90s and in Simsbury in the mid 2000s, so not really current.
Good luck.
I’ve been looking for the least expensive house in the neighborhood - I refuse to buy the most expensive house in a cheap neighborhood. That’s bad practice.

Why put as little down as possible? Waiving PMI is a good thing, but it’s not a back breaker?

I’ve heard bad things about Newington - how it’s the second coming of New Britain and all that. A transient sort of town.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have you looked into Rocky Hill? Moved here four years ago and have no complaints.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom