OT - Buying a House | Page 12 | The Boneyard

OT - Buying a House

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
It's funny to read this thread in light of all the friends I have that left CT but are low looking to come because it is CHEAP (relative to where they moved after college).

When everyone says sell, maybe it's a good time to buy.

Reaction Score
It's funny to read this thread in light of all the friends I have that left CT but are low looking to come because it is CHEAP (relative to where they moved after college).

When everyone says sell, maybe it's a good time to buy.

Sort of. I left and I look around all the time both online and when I visit. Right now, it is relatively cheap compared to other more prosperous areas, but it isn’t a healthy market and economic factors indicate prices will drop in the relatively near future. It just can’t possibly be rock bottom yet. Give it a couple of years.

However, I wouldn’t fear buying a lower priced home with land and character. I think those will be ok. You might also do well on a large home that was left behind due to corporate relocation. The companies tend to eat losses on those. No way would I go to Simsbury or Avon right now and buy what I’d want to buy. Whaler11 is spot on with his observations of where this is heading.

CT is generally an afterthought to the rest of the country. Right now, people are actually talking about it nationally because of the fiscal situation. When I tell someone I am from CT originally, which is almost every day, they often comment on the situation because they see it in the news. It is not good for perception and perception drives markets.

Reaction Score
Give me 3 reasons why someone would want to return to CT to retire?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
@Deepster

Goal is to stay there for 4-5 years minimum. The hard part is finding a house that needs a little bit of work (floors, paint, roof), but not too much to where they price it outrageously high.

At five years how much principal will have been paid off? Unless you buy a fixer upper and do the work yourself, I don't see how it would be a good move financially.

Reaction Score
Buying a lower priced home in a good neighborhood, and fixing it up is a formula to make money or at least not lose your shirt especially if you can do some of the labor. And when a housing crunch happens which it always does, the lower price points are the first to sell.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Give me 3 reasons why someone would want to return to CT to retire?
Amazing beer.
Great food (read: pizza)
As stated...easy access to sound, ocean, mountains, NYC and Boston.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
or cold damp winters from hell

with 2 foot snow storms.

That's how they stay young. Shoveling that stuff.

Reaction Score
I’d return to CT solely because it is who I am. Deep down, that’s who I’ll always be. I’ve been gone for 19 years and it is still home even though none of my family remains there. I was getting a haircut yesterday and a guy waiting was wearing a “Basketball Capital of the World” T-shirt. I paid, turned to leave and poked him on the shoulder and said, “Go Huskies”. He looks up, and says “You bet your a** brother, we’re back”. That’s something you can only enjoy regularly when you are home. It was a thrill to have that happen 1500 miles away.

Reaction Score
Well, he means the mountains to the north, but trust me, CT has mountains after you’ve lived somewhere with small hills or no hills at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I still long for NE during the fall months when the colors turn, but the other 10 months of the year I will pass on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’d return to CT solely because it is who I am. Deep down, that’s who I’ll always be. I’ve been gone for 19 years and it is still home even though none of my family remains there. I was getting a haircut yesterday and a guy waiting was wearing a “Basketball Capital of the World” T-shirt. I paid, turned to leave and poked him on the shoulder and said, “Go Huskies”. He looks up, and says “You bet your a** brother, we’re back”. That’s something you can only enjoy regularly when you are home. It was a thrill to have that happen 1500 miles away.

That doesn’t happen here.

Nobody would talk with or touch some rando.

If you touched someone and said ‘I’m going to give you a million dollars’ they would respond ‘Did you just touch me?’

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I could see myself buying a summer lake house in an area like Coventry, live there from Memorial Day to Labor Day. No heat, no A/C. Just nice summer days.

But no way for year round residency

Reaction Score
Condo's are ok until some major defect is uncovered and the entire community gets stuck with a huge assestment to make repairs.
Or, potentially after less than savvy condo purchasers or someone with a clue failed to scrutinize a condo community's overall physical condition, prior pattern of financial management, particularly capital reserves, etc. before purchase. Sounds like boog204 had a clue, some luck, or a bit of both ...
Higher than average, a little over $300... However, the HOA covers landscaping, snow removal, trash, recycling, pool, clubhouse, and various other things and it's a nice complex. Even though the HOA fee is on the high, they are always making improvements and putting that $$ to good use. We have new patios, newer decks, siding, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom