OT: Buy Me Some Peanuts and Cracker Jacks* | The Boneyard

OT: Buy Me Some Peanuts and Cracker Jacks*

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when peanuts turned into plutonium? It seems like now they are a death sentence for kids who get within 25 yards of them. Now before the nut nazi's hop on with a story of how some kid they know saw a picture of nut in a magazine and was instantly vaporized, I get it. It's a real thing. But I just don't know how the ubiquitous snack foods of my youth suddenly went toxic.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Does anyone know when peanuts turned into plutonium? It seems like now they are a death sentence for kids who get within 25 yards of them. Now before the nut nazi's hop on with a story of how some kid they know saw a picture of nut in a magazine and was instantly vaporized, I get it. It's a real thing. But I just don't know how the ubiquitous snack foods of my youth suddenly went toxic.
I have no information or knowledge, but I'm inclined (and not joking) toward some dark answer that would be better bandied about on the Cesspool. It just seems too strange for anything else. Then again, I led by proclaiming my ignorance, and would welcome a legit informed answer.

Poe

Reaction Score
Peanuts haven’t changed, but kids and allergies have. Nobody knows why, but you’ll hear a bunch of different theories, from blaming vaccines, to pesticides, to pharma companies, to soap, to cell phones, to....

Reaction Score
I have no information or knowledge, but I'm inclined (and not joking) toward some dark answer that would be better bandied about on the Cesspool. It just seems too strange for anything else. Then again, I led by proclaiming my ignorance, and would welcome a legit informed answer.
My little understanding of it is our kids immune systems stink because of their parents. Kids are less and less exposed to germs because helicopter parents are terrified of everything. There seems to be a correlation between the more well off a kid is the greater chance his/her immune system is susceptible to allergies.

Reaction Score
My little understanding of it is our kids immune systems stink because of their parents. Kids are less and less exposed to germs because helicopter parents are terrified of everything. There seems to be a correlation between the more well off a kid is the greater chance his/her immune system is susceptible to allergies.
A lot of doctors in the 80s and 90s told pregnant women to avoid peanuts. Come to find out it wasn't a very good idea

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
While my favorite ballpark pastime is eating an entire bag of peanuts, acting like this is a huge deal and the level of criticism I've seen seems disproportionate. They made a public health decision. Whether you think it's dumb or not, they found it warranted for some reason. Does it affect your life that much?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
As someone who is severely allergic to all nuts including peanuts. It's like anything evolutionary, people have just become hyper sensitive because you can go your entire life and not encounter nuts. From but free tables in elementary school, to being able to get an airline to not serve peanuts you can avoid nuts throughout the majority of your life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Such a lame old guy take with the whole “no one was allergic to peanuts when I was a kid!” bit.

Read an article. It ain’t that complex.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
peanuts are part of baseball, but no one wants kids to get sick. I do think that parent should have children try different things as they can build up a tolerance to some of these allergies.
I will add that my brother in law is allergic to many things but has taken receiving needles to combat it with tiny amounts of what he is allergic too. So far he is must better and almost all of the allergies have gone away.

There is more than enough nuts on these boards for anyone's fill :)

Reaction Score
Once sat through a seminar back in my masters about how allergies are far more prevalent in developed countries, the speaker was making the argument that since developed nation's are exposed to far fewer parasites, the cells that normally respond to those antigens now inappropriately respond to other things (like peanuts). While fewer allergies would be cool, having parasites from a young age usually means stunted growth, malnutrition, among other things.

As long as no one starts claiming they're allergic to bears...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom