OT: Bulletproof coffee? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Bulletproof coffee?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I have a Chemex Six Cup, a Kalita Wave and an AeroPress. We also have Keurig because sometimes we’re in a hurry.

I am better than all of you in every way.

Pfft. You really don't want to go there.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have a Chemex Six Cup, a Kalita Wave and an AeroPress. We also have Keurig because sometimes we’re in a hurry.

Yes, those three are all excellent and much better than Keurig. And yes, they take more time.

I use a Behmor Brazen Plus, which does what those do, except automatically, so I can set it up with a timer and have it ready when I want it. In other words, better.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Start with a little and then slowly introduce more as it can give you the scalitos.

absolute gold. after all this time I still guffaw when I see the term "" subbed out in an amusing way. Absolutely perfect.

Big Red @temery is a genius and deserves another day to be honored at the Civic Center. One where we can bring him home a win so his U-C-O-N-N chants get their due.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The biggest issue I see with your usage of that mug @Fishy is that, based on your other posts, you are apparently filling it with coffee from a Keurig, which I don't think gets the water hot enough for the extraction necessary for a great tasting cup to begin with. I'm sure it tastes better if you keep it hotter, but I think @storrsroars 's point is that you are better off starting with a better cup of coffee from the get go, in which case it will actually taste quite fine if it cools a few degrees while you drink it.

Personally, I keep my brewed coffee in an insulated vessel until I drink it; that way it retains the heat without needing to heat it up. But if you are merely heating coffee that wasn't extracted at a high enough temperature, I agree with storrsroars that you are more likely masking the taste of a less-then-great cup to begin with.

I'm so glad I don't care enough about coffee to spend more than the 5 seconds a day I spend pouring myself a cup in the morning at work. This all sounds exhausting.

Yeah, I'm that guy in this thread.

Reaction Score
I'm so glad I don't care enough about coffee to spend more than the 5 seconds a day I spend pouring myself a cup in the morning at work. This all sounds exhausting.

I'm the same. I gave being a coffee snob a legitimate attempt and I failed. I picked up an Aeropress as it was the cheapest coffee maker with rave reviews. I picked up some highly acclaimed coffee which had been roasted within the past week. And it was still meh. Back to caffeine pills.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Yes, those three are all excellent and much better than Keurig. And yes, they take more time.

I use a Behmor Brazen Plus, which does what those do, except automatically, so I can set it up with a timer and have it ready when I want it. In other words, better.

giphy.gif

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Yep, ignorance is bliss. Like many things related to food and drink, I got ruined by experiencing good stuff and I have a hard time going back.

Life's too long to drink crap.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yep, ignorance is bliss. Like many things related to food and drink, I got ruined by experiencing good stuff and I have a hard time going back.

Life's too long to drink crap.

I was out of coffee this morning and ran yesterdays grounds through a paper towel. Tasted fine

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For those with an interest in tinkering with a cheap coffeemaker.

Confession: When I only want to make a cup or two, I'll use a Clever dripper or press pot because I'm too freaking lazy to use any of the myriads of pourover crap and vac pots I have and I can eyeball the weights and volumes, which I can't really do with an Aeropress and get good results as it's too exacting.

But if I'm making a few cups... when the heating element on my $300 Moccamaster finally quit, I replaced it with a $29.99 ($24 with the BB&B coupon) 10-cup Mr. Coffee, tweaked as noted above.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

98% of the time, a Keurig or Starbucks is good enough.

But for the love of God, get yourself a proper futuristic coffee mug with granular temperature controls.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm the same. I gave being a coffee snob a legitimate attempt and I failed. I picked up an Aeropress as it was the cheapest coffee maker with rave reviews. I picked up some highly acclaimed coffee which had been roasted within the past week. And it was still meh. Back to caffeine pills.
Yeah, the manual ones like the Aeropress, Chemex, etc. take a good amount of time and tinkering to get them right, and even then they still take a lot of time, every time.

What I like about the Behmor (and a couple others I have used and considered) is that, once you figure out how to make it the way you like it, you can set it and forget it. I basically sleepwalk my way through it in the morning. It takes me all of a minute to set it up with the timer, and by the time I am back from my run it is waiting for me in the insulated thermal carafe where it stays hot until I drink it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was out of coffee this morning and ran yesterdays grounds through a paper towel. Tasted fine
A guy gave me a cold Bud Light one time at Jazz Fest after I had been in front of the stage in the hot sun for Bruce's set for around three hours without leaving. It was one of the best beers I ever had in my life.

Kind of like the pizza I had at Lynx Creek Pizza in Alaska, after spending a week camping in the back country in Denali.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Kind of like the pizza I had at Lynx Creek Pizza in Alaska, after spending a week camping in the back country in Denali.

Best meal I ever had in my life was at a Carl's Jr. at the Foot of the Sierra Nevada's after hiking the pass of Mt. Whitney. What a miserable time that was. Eating crappy camping food for a few days. Cant even smoke down a Newport because the air is so thin it took a 1/2 hour to burn and it killed your lungs every drag and then having to tie your food up on poles so idiot bears didnt attack your tent.
When I finally convinced the rest of my party to leave 2 days early; I made it to the pass again I literally ran down the trails on the other side to get to my car and I drove into town and had Carls Jr and then came back to pick up my Uncle and the rest of the camping party who walked down and were a couple hours behind me.

Last time I ever went camping. Miserable.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Best meal I ever had in my life was at a Carl's Jr. at the Foot of the Sierra Nevada's after hiking the pass of Mt. Whitney. What a miserable time that was. Eating crappy camping food for a few days. Cant even smoke down a Newport because the air is so thin it took a 1/2 hour to burn and it killed your lungs every drag and then having to tie your food up on poles so idiot bears didnt attack your tent.
When I finally convinced the rest of my party to leave 2 days early; I made it to the pass again I literally ran down the trails on the other side to get to my car and I drove into town and had Carls Jr and then came back to pick up my Uncle and the rest of the camping party who walked down and were a couple hours behind me.

That's because you were out west. Go camping in the Whites or Adirondacks. You come out after a couple of days all disheveled and grimy, head to a bar, you will be a chick magnet.

Well maybe not now, but when you (or I) were younger and better looking...

Reaction Score
Excellent job of turning a fast food meal into a humblebrag! ;)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Excellent job of turning a fast food meal into a humblebrag! ;)

Plus people usually brag about hiking the highest pass in the lower 48 states.

I look at it as shameful. Im embarrassed to having put forth that amount of effort for such a miserable time. Smacks of stupidity.

I want points for that too.

BTW it really was the best meal Ive had. After eating all the freeze dried reconstituted crap for days and smelling my cousins resulting gas in the tent every night had me dreaming of the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger with Onion rings on it that Carls Jr. does so well. It met my expectations.

Reaction Score
Plus people usually brag about hiking the highest pass in the lower 48 states.

I look at it as shameful. Im embarrassed to having put forth that amount of effort for such a miserable time. Smacks of stupidity.

I want points for that too.

BTW it really was the best meal Ive had. After eating all the freeze dried reconstituted crap for days and smelling my cousins resulting gas in the tent every night had me dreaming of the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger with Onion rings on it that Carls Jr. does so well. It met my expectations.
I thought Mt Whitney was a chick you dated :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom