OT: Bulletproof coffee? | The Boneyard

OT: Bulletproof coffee?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Any users here? Results/impressions?

A colleague mentioned it to me the other day because he just started using it and suggested that I check it out because he knows that I like good caffeinated beverages and am interested in health/fitness stuff.

I googled it and it looks like there is a lot of stuff out there on it; looks like a fad to me, which I don't need.

Curious whether any Yarders have checked it out and, if so, what you think of it.

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Tastes good, expensive and no real benefits. As one could imagine, the people watching outside the Venice Beach outlet is incredible

Reaction Score
My understanding is it's high in cholesterol because it is unfiltered coffee and the paper filter is usually what removes the cholesterol from coffee beans. A café in my town serves bulletproof coffee which is a recipe not a brand and it's good (I mean, you're putting butter in coffee), but can't say I noticed any difference in physical or cognitive performance compared to that of a cup from the coffee shop down the street.

Reaction Score
Don't use "butter" use ghee, add MCT oil. Will help satisfy cravings if you're intermittent fasting. Make it at home it's not that expensive but you'll need an immersion blender.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Don't use "butter" use ghee, add MCT oil. Will help satisfy cravings if you're intermittent fasting. Make it at home it's not that expensive but you'll need an immersion blender.
Thanks. Sounds like it's not a thing for me. I don't do fasting stuff. I was curious about the mental focus and energy claims.

I drink two cups of good coffee every morning and then I drink tea for the rest of the day, usually Oolong and/or green tea.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

If you're intrigued by bulletproof coffee, just drink your coffee like you always have, then eat a couple pats of butter or a raw egg on the side. No need to ruin the taste of a perfectly decent cup of coffee. It probably would improve the taste of Folger's though...

As far as cholesterol goes, yes, use a paper filter if you're concerned. And if you're concerned, why are you thinking of adding butter or eggs to it anyway?

Add adherents of this stuff to the "dupes" category.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If you're intrigued by bulletproof coffee, just drink your coffee like you always have, then eat a couple pats of butter or a raw egg on the side. No need to ruin the taste of a perfectly decent cup of coffee. It probably would improve the taste of Folger's though...

As far as cholesterol goes, yes, use a paper filter if you're concerned. And if you're concerned, why are you thinking of adding butter or eggs to it anyway?

Add adherents of this stuff to the "dupes" category.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

Reaction Score
Thanks. Sounds like it's not a thing for me. I don't do fasting stuff. I was curious about the mental focus and energy claims.

I drink two cups of good coffee every morning and then I drink tea for the rest of the day, usually Oolong and/or green tea.
I don't like black coffee, and I cut out sugar, the ghee is not just "butter" (and for some people it's far easier to digest than eggs), and it makes the coffee rich and creamy. You can add cream, and not ghee, but the flavor isn't the same.

The MCT definitely helps me focus, but results are not the same for everyone

If you want the mental focus, just put MCT oil (or fish oil) in your coffee. Skip the ghee. Start with a little and then slowly introduce more as it can give you the scalitos.

Everyone is (obviously) different. The "energy" claims for me are very real, but it's not "just" the coffee. It's the elimination of complex carbs.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
upload_2018-1-25_11-14-35.jpeg

Reaction Score
I've tried it several times and I think its hype. I was not not alert enough to appreciate any difference. Its too rich for me as well. And the guy behind the brand seemed like a snake oil salesman when I heard him interviewed.

Reaction Score
The high fat and caffeine energize and satisfy you. You drink it until noon or so and skip eating all together until afternoon. The lack of bad carbs gives many people clarity and the fat and caffeine seem to magnify it.

Its not for everybody, but I’ve done it at times and felt great. I used my own coffee with grass fed butter, coconut oil and stevia. Just put it in a blender and drink it. The MCT oil and special coffee may help, but I found the poor man’s version very effective.

Reaction Score
The high fat and caffeine energize and satisfy you. You drink it until noon or so and skip eating all together until afternoon. The lack of bad carbs gives many people clarity and the fat and caffeine seem to magnify it.

Its not for everybody, but I’ve done it at times and felt great. I used my own coffee with grass fed butter, coconut oil and stevia. Just put it in a blender and drink it. The MCT oil and special coffee may help, but I found the poor man’s version very effective.

I should have mentioned I use the poor man's version with the same effect (and the MCT) I just use K-Cups of my preferred coffee at home.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’ve had it - it was a lot better than I thought it would be. I didn’t notice any extra “clarity” or energy and quite frankly™️, I don’t want any extra clarity. I like the world hazy around the edges.

Now I’m hijacking this thread.

This is the absolute dumbest product that you absolutely need.

“...the best product I’ve tried in 2017.”

Yes, it is an $80 coffee mug. Yes, it has to be recharged. Yes, you need to download an app to use it. No, your wife will not understand why this thing is so great.

I love it. You need one.

ember_ceramic_mug_temperature_control_grey_wide_mobile_2048x.jpg

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hope that product created US jobs, because otherwise, it's useless unless you're drinking crappy coffee to start with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I hope that product created US jobs, because otherwise, it's useless unless you're drinking crappy coffee to start with.

Oh, yeah?

You’re useless.

Go ahead and drink your Malaysian monkey poop coffee in a ceramic mug designed by cavemen and watch as the laws of thermodynamics degrade your coffee experience second by second. Or just save your money and buy the Eight O’ Clock coffee your Luddite self deserves.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh, yeah?

You’re useless.

Go ahead and drink your Malaysian monkey poop coffee in a ceramic mug designed by cavemen and watch as the laws of thermodynamics degrade your coffee experience second by second. Or just save your money and buy the Eight O’ Clock coffee your Luddite self deserves.

The best coffees actually improve with cooling. Has to do with density and integrity of cell structure. Scientific fact.

And poop coffee isn't a "best coffee".

But consumers like what they like, so enjoy your $80 mug.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh.

What’s the best temp? Let me know to the degree what temp these coffee scientists have determined is the scientific best and I will advise my futuristic coffee vessel to cool my coffee to that exact temperature. I will let my coffee hover there in perfection.

What temp do you set your “World’s Best Golfer” mug to?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The biggest issue I see with your usage of that mug @Fishy is that, based on your other posts, you are apparently filling it with coffee from a Keurig, which I don't think gets the water hot enough for the extraction necessary for a great tasting cup to begin with. I'm sure it tastes better if you keep it hotter, but I think @storrsroars 's point is that you are better off starting with a better cup of coffee from the get go, in which case it will actually taste quite fine if it cools a few degrees while you drink it.

Personally, I keep my brewed coffee in an insulated vessel until I drink it; that way it retains the heat without needing to heat it up. But if you are merely heating coffee that wasn't extracted at a high enough temperature, I agree with storrsroars that you are more likely masking the taste of a less-then-great cup to begin with.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a Chemex Six Cup, a Kalita Wave and an AeroPress. We also have Keurig because sometimes we’re in a hurry.

I am better than all of you in every way.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I've tried it several times and I think its hype. I was not not alert enough to appreciate any difference. Its too rich for me as well. And the guy behind the brand seemed like a snake oil salesman when I heard him interviewed.

Yeah, he claims all coffee (other than his, of course) has mold in it. Don't be taken in by this guy, although there may be some merit to his bulletproof executive diet plan, and you can view that for free online. Just use whatever coffee and other ingredients you like if you want to try the fasting thing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44