OT Bruegger's Bagels coming to Storrs Center | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Bruegger's Bagels coming to Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
HuskyFan16 said:
That was the Grand Union, and yes it is closed. But it would be difficult to simply "convert it" because there are other things in that plaza... Off the top of my head, I certainly remember the Villa liquor store.

I knew someone was going to pick me apart for my Sim city approach.

There is a laundromat in there too which refused to clean a comforter I vomited on after a rough night.

Good times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Nah... My memory is fuzzy but I remember Kathy Johns. :) It may have been called Big Daddy's or something like that? Probably a lot of names through the years. I'm thinking of the half mile stretch on 195 on the right leading up to the intersection with 44, as you head towards campus.

I believe you're referring to the shut down night club type building right before the gas station/dunkin donuts? That land has been for sale for a while but it would be nice if someone bought it and developed it.

Reaction Score
Nah... My memory is fuzzy but I remember Kathy Johns. :) It may have been called Big Daddy's or something like that? Probably a lot of names through the years. I'm thinking of the half mile stretch on 195 on the right leading up to the intersection with 44, as you head towards campus.

It was called Two Steps when I knew it. And they had a hip hop night on Thursdays.

Reaction Score
Ha, yes! Would be nice to see it developed.
It's a fairly large piece of property, but it looks like there's a pond and wetlands in the back that would probably make any large scale development of the property difficult

Reaction Score
There is a grocery store going into the storrs center I believe it's in the next building going up. While I think most students would appreciate a walmart closer to campus it does not belong in storrs center
I believe it's going to be Price chopper

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Price Chopper... Spoiled idiots at Storrs.

Tell me about it. They ought to bring back Universal Food Store. Sure we weren't thrilled by the green meat, but we ate it anyway. Made us tough.

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
A Wal-Mart couldn't really fit into the Storrs Center... it requires too much space, and not the vertical mixed-use kind that has been built so far. But with the Grand Union being gone, the school probably does at least need some kind of grocery store or market.

What? Grand Union is gone? Where does one buy $12.99 keystone 30s now???

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What? Grand Union is gone? Where does one buy $12.99 keystone 30s now???

Gotta buy them for 16.99 at Holiday or Villa. Might've done that once or twice this past semester.

Reaction Score
Tell me about. They ought to bring back Universal Food Store. Sure we weren't thrilled by the green meat, but we ate it anyway. Made us tough.

Was that the A&P?

Reaction Score
http://www.storrscenter.com/news/brueggers-bagels-and-jamba-juice-coming-to-storrs-center/

This place has thrived across from campus. I can't imagine it's too long before another one of these type centers could be in the planning stages. The area still needs a Wal-Mart/Target type store and more apartments. Maybe the new one could include some new bars too. Storrs is really getting a face lift and it's pretty cool to see the changes that are taking place.

Ideally if we would build a new hockey/basketball arena on campus we would surround it with high end apartments that we would lease out to alumni/donors, sort of like what South Carolina did around Williams-Brice Stadium. I really think in 20 years people are going to be stunned at the growth of the Storrs area.

They need an Electric Blue in Storrs center.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Not saying you're wrong. But at some point you're gonna come toe to toe with zoning boards of Mansfield folks and things can get dicey. Sometimes the best change is the feasible, incremental one.

I have been toe to toe with them and the local wannabe farmers. They see a world class university in their backyard as a negative. Anyone with an interest in the State's future well being should tell them to move to Pomfret or shut up.

Exceptions granted to anyone predating the University.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
CTMike said:

You are thinking of the Four Corners area. Zero chance that location could handle a Target. Now if you upgrade 195 for say an on-campus stadium...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
There is a Walmart right off 195 on 6. But seriously who wants trash like Walmart and Target on campus? Come on.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Gotta buy them for 16.99 at Holiday or Villa. Might've done that once or twice this past semester.

That sucks. Or I'm sure you can head over to Ted's for their jacked up prices.

Reaction Score
There is a Walmart right off 195 on 6. But seriously who wants trash like Walmart and Target on campus? Come on.

Some of my best memories of UConn were going to the Super Walmart at 3 am. There's something... magic... about how weird Walmart is at 3 in the morning when you're young and high.

... or maybe it's just me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Some of my best memories of UConn were going to the Super Walmart at 3 am. There's something... magic... about how weird Walmart is at 3 in the morning when you're young and high.

... or maybe it's just me.

You have an attraction to 300-lb women in halter tops and shorts? Man, I don't ever recall having beer goggles THAT thick.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Bruegger's was a Sunday (late) morning ritual for me in college. As a result, all other bagels are second class. I will still travel a ways to get one if I need a fix.

I recommend the bagel sandwiches.

Gotta be a Sox fan. Can't be from Fairfield County with bagel preferences like that.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
storrsroars said:
Gotta be a Sox fan. Can't be from Fairfield County with bagel preferences like that.

Brueggers is based out of NY, or at least has a serious penetration into upstate NY. For a time it was the only bagel chain I'd ever known. BagelStop and Between Rounds were repulsive to me. Forget DD.

Edit: just looked it up, founded in Troy, NY. HQ now in Burlington, VT. Friggin Hippies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom