OT Bruegger's Bagels coming to Storrs Center | The Boneyard

OT Bruegger's Bagels coming to Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://www.storrscenter.com/news/brueggers-bagels-and-jamba-juice-coming-to-storrs-center/

This place has thrived across from campus. I can't imagine it's too long before another one of these type centers could be in the planning stages. The area still needs a Wal-Mart/Target type store and more apartments. Maybe the new one could include some new bars too. Storrs is really getting a face lift and it's pretty cool to see the changes that are taking place.

Ideally if we would build a new hockey/basketball arena on campus we would surround it with high end apartments that we would lease out to alumni/donors, sort of like what South Carolina did around Williams-Brice Stadium. I really think in 20 years people are going to be stunned at the growth of the Storrs area.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
http://www.storrscenter.com/news/brueggers-bagels-and-jamba-juice-coming-to-storrs-center/

This place has thrived across from campus. I can't imagine it's too long before another one of these type centers could be in the planning stages. The area still needs a Wal-Mart/Target type store and more apartments. Maybe the new one could include some new bars too. Storrs is really getting a face lift and it's pretty cool to see the changes that are taking place.

Ideally if we would build a new hockey/basketball arena on campus we would surround it with high end apartments that we would lease out to alumni/donors, sort of like what South Carolina did around Williams-Brice Stadium. I really think in 20 years people are going to be stunned at the growth of the Storrs area.

I didn't read the article but based on your post I can only assume we've moved Storrs Center to Cincinnati or New Brunswick.

That's an issue with me.

Drew

Reaction Score
I didn't read the article but based on your post I can only assume we've moved Storrs Center to Cincinnati or New Brunswick.

That's an issue with me.

Don't know why you think a Wal-Mart or a Target is a bad thing, everyone I know on campus right now drives the 20 minutes to the Manchester Wal-Mart to buy most of what they need. Would make a killing.

Reaction Score
A Wal-Mart couldn't really fit into the Storrs Center... it requires too much space, and not the vertical mixed-use kind that has been built so far. But with the Grand Union being gone, the school probably does at least need some kind of grocery store or market.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where --- would you put a WalMart in Storrs Center?! And if you had the room, how the heck does that fit in with what they're trying to do with the town center?

This guy generates more bad ideas per post than Nelson.

Drew

Reaction Score
Where --- would you put a WalMart in Storrs Center?! And if you had the room, how the heck does that fit in with what they're trying to do with the town center?

Don't put words in my mouth, all I said was there needs to be a Wal-Mart or Target type store and I had talked about developing a second set of shops and I very clearly indicated that that type of store could/should be in a new set of shops if there was one made.

And the evidence is there by students driving 20 minutes on a regular basis to these types of stores in Manchester. I don't know how often you interact with the current student body but myself being a current student you would think that I would at least have a basic understanding of student needs. Nobody wants to go to the coop and get ripped off for their ridiculous prices for commonly used goods and the supply that they do offer is very underwhelming.

Reaction Score
A Wal-Mart couldn't really fit into the Storrs Center... it requires too much space, and not the vertical mixed-use kind that has been built so far. But with the Grand Union being gone, the school probably does at least need some kind of grocery store or market.
There is a grocery store going into the storrs center I believe it's in the next building going up. While I think most students would appreciate a walmart closer to campus it does not belong in storrs center

Drew

Reaction Score
Also that Fairfield Inn should've happened. It was all set and Nathan Hale Inn realized they would steal their customers and lobbied hard against it being placed there.

Reaction Score

Wal-mart.??? in Storrs Center. ????next great idea, maybe Baskin Robbins next to the Dairy Bar????

Reaction Score
Price Chopper

The Schenectady based grocer has done exceptionally well in College towns. Look around at Upstate NY & NE towns ... and they targeted them.

The Original Storrs Center plan did not go for Brueggers & Jamba Juice. It was always supposed to be select solid local restaurants. A mix maybe. What you have is the usual suspects. I do think you will see more apartments. The State-of-the-Art of College Student residence is a high end. Article I just read is that internet use is pushing infrastructure. Girls all want their own bathroom. Stuff like that. Won't be kids like me ... who had to share a room at home with two brothers. Spoiled idiots at Storrs.

Reaction Score
Going to be tough with the Mansfield/Coventry NIMBY crowd. These folks don't want a city nearby. Not sayin' they're right or wrong, but I think many of them intentionally live in a rural area.

Reaction Score
Price Chopper

The Schenectady based grocer has done exceptionally well in College towns. Look around at Upstate NY & NE towns ... and they targeted them.

The Original Storrs Center plan did not go for Brueggers & Jamba Juice. It was always supposed to be select solid local restaurants. A mix maybe. What you have is the usual suspects. I do think you will see more apartments. The State-of-the-Art of College Student residence is a high end. Article I just read is that internet use is pushing infrastructure. Girls all want their own bathroom. Stuff like that. Won't be kids like me ... who had to share a room at home with two brothers. Spoiled idiots at Storrs.

LOL...We all shared a bathroom with 20 guys on the floor and (whatever ladies stayed over) ...nobody had a problem and that includes after a rough Thursday/Friday/Saturday night.-probably because we were sleeping it off.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bruegger's was a Sunday (late) morning ritual for me in college. As a result, all other bagels are second class. I will still travel a ways to get one if I need a fix.

I recommend the bagel sandwiches.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think a modest sized Target (ie not a Super Target) would work well on 195 as you approach 44. Either close to the gas station on the corner, or the restaurant/bar that I can't remember the name of but it's been abandoned/dilapidated for years. Was it a country line dance kind of place back around 2000? I forget.

Of course, if the townies would ever allow it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Going to be tough with the Mansfield/Coventry NIMBY crowd. These folks don't want a city nearby. Not sayin' they're right or wrong, but I think many of them intentionally live in a rural area.

The University zone stopped being rural the minute UCONN became a full fledged State U instead of a cow college.

Reaction Score
The University zone stopped being rural the minute UCONN became a full fledged State U instead of a cow college.

Not saying you're wrong. But at some point you're gonna come toe to toe with zoning boards of Mansfield folks and things can get dicey. Sometimes the best change is the feasible, incremental one.

Reaction Score
I think a modest sized Target (ie not a Super Target) would work well on 195 as you approach 44. Either close to the gas station on the corner, or the restaurant/bar that I can't remember the name of but it's been abandoned/dilapidated for years. Was it a country line dance kind of place back around 2000? I forget.

Of course, if the townies would ever allow it.
Are you thinking of Kathy John's? That building has been razed and a huge Cumberland Farms has been put up.

Reaction Score
Didn't the grocery store on 44 close? Convert that to target or Walmart.
That was the Grand Union, and yes it is closed. But it would be difficult to simply "convert it" because there are other things in that plaza... Off the top of my head, I certainly remember the Villa liquor store.

Reaction Score

When I was in Portland this summer, I saw a Target downtown that had three stories and with much less floor space. It worked. It could work in Storrs in theory.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Are you thinking of Kathy John's? That building has been razed and a huge Cumberland Farms has been put up.
Nah... My memory is fuzzy but I remember Kathy Johns. :) It may have been called Big Daddy's or something like that? Probably a lot of names through the years. I'm thinking of the half mile stretch on 195 on the right leading up to the intersection with 44, as you head towards campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom