OT: Bruce Pearl is Back as Auburn Coach | The Boneyard

OT: Bruce Pearl is Back as Auburn Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What cultural shift? Getting recruits by any means seems to be exactly what Auburn already does.

Reaction Score
So they just abandon recruiting for the summer? I thought his show cause went through the end of August?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
BC just saw this and fired Steve Donahue....

Reaction Score
Sort of liked him as an analyst , maybe because we didn't have to witness him sweating profusely through his pits . Gross

Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember what he did. Didn't he have recruits and parents over to his house for a backyard barbecue and then ask them not to tell about it? There must have been more.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'm trying to remember what he did. Didn't he have recruits and parents over to his house for a backyard barbecue and then ask them not to tell about it? There must have been more.

The big part was lying to the NCAA about it. Probably would have got a slap on the wrist if it weren't for that.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I wonder what the Tenn fans think about him returning to the SEC coaching against his former school.

Reaction Score
It was wrong but after the NCAA changed the rules on us I despise them. He deserves another chance and he can flat out coach. Their program will rise, watch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That' not all of it. Hist history is a beauty. http://deadspin.com/5898192/bruce-p...world-that-created-a-monster-deadspin-classic

IIRC He also recorded a phone conversation of a recruit trying to get the kid to dump on another schools coach, ostensibly to use for yet another recruit? That one was weird.

Reaction Score
Talk about recruiting wars! Pearl knows he is getting his last shot and he won't blow it. It's easy for things to get out of control in recruiting (Nate Miles) isn't it? In ours (we) were trying to help a kid with a medical situation but it spun out of control.

Reaction Score
Auburn is already considered as dirty as it gets in athletics, why pile on

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Trying to remember a team of that did anything? Sounds like a Mike Jarvis type hiring to me. Yeah, he can be the #3 program in the SEC but what is that really unless AU is buying Cam Newton types for BB.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The show-cause is basically toothless in its expiring days - truly no big deal.

The SEC is pretty bad and Pearl can coach - they'll head up the standings pretty quickly.

Reaction Score
The show-cause is basically toothless in its expiring days - truly no big deal.

The SEC is pretty bad and Pearl can coach - they'll head up the standings pretty quickly.

But if it runs through August 23 I don't understand how Auburn avoids appearing before the infractions committee. Saying "there's only 5 months left on this thing, let's just forget about it" doesn't seem like a compelling argument to me.

Reaction Score
Yes, it was the recruiting of Aaron Craft, of Ohio State. I remember there was some talk of the kid being a rat, but why should he jeopardize his entire college career because the coach to whom he had committed broke the rules?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But if it runs through August 23 I don't understand how Auburn avoids appearing before the infractions committee. Saying "there's only 5 months left on this thing, let's just forget about it" doesn't seem like a compelling argument to me.

They're not worried about impressing you

Auburn has two choices....

1) Accept the penalty and prevent Pearl from recruiting until August 23rd.

2) Let the NCAA know in writing that they intend on showing why the penalty should not be enforced on Auburn. Worst case...Pearl is prevented from recruiting 'til 8/23.

The upside of Pearl way, way outruns the downside. Pearl's name will outrecruit 3/4s of the SEC without him doing anything. (Remember, even if Pearl can't recruit, Auburn's staff certainly can - they will not be unrepresented this summer.)

Fun fact...the lead investigator on the Pearl case, Dave Didion, now works for Auburn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Auburn is already considered as dirty as it gets in athletics, why pile on
We are considered dirty, too. On the bright side, a lot of message board posters here use periods to end their sentences.

Reaction Score
They're not worried about impressing you

Auburn has two choices....

1) Accept the penalty and prevent Pearl from recruiting until August 23rd.

2) Let the NCAA know in writing that they intend on showing why the penalty should not be enforced on Auburn. Worst case...Pearl is prevented from recruiting 'til 8/23.

The upside of Pearl way, way outruns the downside. Pearl's name will outrecruit 3/4s of the SEC without him doing anything. (Remember, even if Pearl can't recruit, Auburn's staff certainly can - they will not be unrepresented this summer.)

Fun fact...the lead investigator on the Pearl case, Dave Didion, now works for Auburn.

When you said "toothless" I assumed you meant it won't be enforced. I have no doubt Pearl is going to win at Auburn. He's got a track record. (And not just the slime he leaves behind him.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm sure it will be enforced, but the impact of such a short term restriction effectively makes it toothless - my guess is that Auburn will not even bother with the show-cause hearing.

What interests me is the response that his hiring got - basically, Auburn received nothing but good press for hiring someone currently under NCAA sanction. I guess the press picks its battles.

Reaction Score
I'm waiting for the "I've gotta be cleaner than everyone else because of the target on my back" speech he's going to give. Maybe he could use the one he gave when he got hired at Tennessee.

Reaction Score
What will be the response if someone signs up Sampson (who is a much better college basketball coach that Pearl)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom