OT: Browns releasing Josh Gordon | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Browns releasing Josh Gordon

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Getting Josh Gordon was not a mistake it was a 7th round pick but relying on Gordon with no safety net was the mistake especially with a 41 year old qb. Letting Cooks an Amendola go with no replacements was moronic. Dorsett and Patterson are good 4th-5th string receivers not number 2-3 receivers. The Pats trying to get cheap thinking Brady would continue carrying them, he takes pay cut after pay cut you should build a roster that can carry him a little bit.

Having Amendola would be huge--he was a clutch WR. Edelman hasn't looked like himself and Gronk is obviously on his way out the door. If we could go back in time, maybe would have been better to trade for Golden Tate at the deadline. We're in a pretty scary place once Brady is gone--there really isn't a single true playmaker on this team outside of the QB position. We've shot ourselves in the foot in the draft too often in the last few years

Reaction Score
Gotta get that Mullen QB dude from the Niners. Payback for Garappolo.

Gordon put up nice numbers with the Patriots. Too bad he's done.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If we could go back in time, maybe would have been better to trade for Golden Tate at the deadline.
We were 6-2 with 5 straight wins, 3 wins against what are now division-leading teams, and Gordon appeared to be fitting in nicely. The offense looked quite good, actually.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We were 6-2 with 5 straight wins, 3 wins against what are now division-leading teams, and Gordon appeared to be fitting in nicely. The offense looked quite good, actually.

Well yeah, I agree that Gordon is a better player than Tate, but Tate would still be on the field. Gordon was more of a risk

Reaction Score
So, was this for weed, or what? Never understood what the big deal is with pros smoking weed. It's not like there's a competitive advantage or anything. No one ever said, "Wow, that guy has great hands and he's rocket fast...he must be baked."

Reaction Score
As a Browns fan, I was more than happy to collect the 5th round pick in exchange for the inevitable pleasure of watching BB roast on the spit of organizational arrogance. Gordon is not only an addict; he’s a borderline malicious addict. Those that place trust in him deserve whatever inconveniences follow. We waited five years for this kid to get his snow together.......never even close.

And to think, the Pats also owe us a third for Danny Shelton who I believe will spend his fourth consecutive week on the inactive list.

Reaction Score
So, was this for weed, or what? Never understood what the big deal is with pros smoking weed. It's not like there's a competitive advantage or anything. No one ever said, "Wow, that guy has great hands and he's rocket fast...he must be baked."
He has all sorts of issues.....weed, alcohol, performance anxiety, depression. He was treated for all that stuff while a member of the Browns.

My guess is he blew hot for alcohol which was part of his NFLPA sanctioned reinstatement agreement with Goodell.

Reaction Score

The pats still should have gone after Golden Tate the older Brady gets the more you have to go all out, Pats were thin at WR with Gordon. Its amazing how much more depth you have when you add a WR or how much depth you lack when you lose one.

Reaction Score
On the human side hopefully Gordon can get his life on track drug addiction is a disease. Its crazy hes been kicked out of 2 high schools out of Baylor and 5 times in the NFL hes definitely done with the NFL now.
Seems like your conscience got the better of you. I think we all wish Gordon well and want him to be better from a personal standpoint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My Prediction: Brady will play better without him. He has been forcing too many balls to Gordon and not spreading it around.

Pre Gordon, White was lining up wide frequently. I think we will see more dual RB formations. All three lead backs are good receivers. Pats are 9-0 when White gets 13+ touches this year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He has all sorts of issues.....weed, alcohol, performance anxiety, depression. He was treated for all that stuff while a member of the Browns.

My guess is he blew hot for alcohol which was part of his NFLPA sanctioned reinstatement agreement with Goodell.
You sound like you were spurned. How else would you know this?

Mental health is not like strep throat. You can't take 10 days of amoxicillin and it's cured. Mental health is an ongoing concern. Terry Bradshaw described the stigma to treatment some time ago and it still exists to this day. Athletes have super human physical ability, but they are not immune.

Reaction Score
You sound like you were spurned. How else would you know this?

Mental health is not like strep throat. You can't take 10 days of amoxicillin and it's cured. Mental health is an ongoing concern. Terry Bradshaw described the stigma to treatment some time ago and it still exists to this day. Athletes have super human physical ability, but they are not immune.
You don’t need to lecture me on mental health. I’ve had my fair share of encounters with those suffering the vagaries of mental illness, and I understand the frustrations and feelings of helplessness. It’s a difficult beast to tame in all its forms.

Josh Gordon is a lot more in control of his situation than most. He basically greased the skids out of Cleveland by showing up late for or outright skipping practices, not being in shape, making zero effort to familiarize himself with game plans etc. while at the same time broadcasting his ‘problems’ through every media outlet that would give him the time of day. He also found the time to father two kids by different mothers, refused to pay court ordered child support in both cases and only consented under threat of arrest and incarceration.

It’s not spurned so much as regret for having stuck with that slimeball as long as we did. The Patriots are better off without him.

Reaction Score
I think calling him a slimeball is an overstatement and I also think you might be underestimating the level of trauma Gordon dealt with growing up and how much it still impacts him today.

That said, people have been very gentle in extending him a benefit of the doubt that others have not gotten, and in doing so I think they've illustrated how pedantic our approach to mental health is, and why that's problematic. It's become something that people cite on a whim to exonerate themselves from anti-social behavior and any ensuing implications, which is fine until it begins to feel like a penalty for people who aren't using that justification.

The Gordon thing is the perfect example because the public response is at least slightly different if he had never invoked his mental health in the first place. We're setting a dangerous precedent when we describe one guy who's late to workouts as a sympathetic figure and another as a lazy waste of talent. I know I'm dating myself a decade and things have changed a lot, but check out the things people still say about JaMarcus Russell. Check out the things they say about Kwame Brown. I know neither of these guys were ever remotely as good as Josh Gordon, but our method of determining who fits the punchline label and who doesn't is still very selective at best. I'm not saying there's never a reason to distinguish between grey, but what I think people should understand is that mental health is directly responsible for the performance of every athlete. Anyone who has underachieved, in any part of life, can trace their failures back to mental health.

I don't agree with the notion that a person can never be guilted into improving their mental health. Guilting is very different than shaming because feelings of guilt often derive from a desire to reward the people who have invested the most in you. If Josh Gordon's emotional state has deteriorated to the point that no longer matters, then you can't really blame him. If his situation was still redeemable, then it's worth asking why he couldn't perform to the same standard as his teammates, who presumably will feel his loss immensely. In either scenario, what's clear is that football didn't matter that much to Josh Gordon. He could be suicidal, for all we know, and that statement would still ring true. That's not a judgement so much as it is a fact. If football did matter to him, if his teammates did matter to him, then he would not have failed the drug test. Part of mental health is restoring people to a place where they do feel guilt and they do feel a responsibility towards others.

And, full disclosure, I really rooted for Josh Gordon, and I still am. He was one of the few Patriots I have ever rooted for in recent times. Whether or not he resurfaces in the NFL, I wish him the best. He sounds like a likable guy.

On the other hand, I think some of the righteousness can be filed away for another time. If you're a Patriots fan who cares more about the Patriots than Josh Gordon, that would be kind of natural since you don't know Josh Gordon. I mean, obviously, in a vacuum, a human life is more important than football. The thing is, though, that you have zero control over either. There are thousands if not millions of people like Josh Gordon who suffer from problems that are equivalent or worse every day. The fact that he lasted as long as he did in New England is something of a victory. Let's just not get things confused - we want him to play football, because that's his value to us. The fact that he's not playing football signifies him being on a completely different page than the rest of us, not because he's a bad person, but because we are not good enough for him. And that should sting. If it didn't, what would be the point of wishing him well in recovery?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom