OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I agree with your last sentence. However, they call it a Final 4 for a reason. And when UConn are set for one of those spots you basically have only three spots left. Stanford's been very good. Notre Dame has been very good. Baylor had Griner for 4 years. So going to a Final 4 isn't automatic no mater how much talent you have. At least we're not Duke or Tennessee.

Low blow.... but guess I should expect that coming from a turtle :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Notre Dame did not get worn out by UConn; they just weren't anywhere near as good a team as UConn was. A week earlier they had lost Brianna Turner, so they were very thin and less talented up front, whereas UConn had the best front court in the nation. Muffet devised a strategy of trying to win with small ball and considering that ND was out-manned, her strategy worked surprisingly well. UConn won the first half by 2 and the second half by 8. That's not a big difference and I do not think it was due to Notre Dame being poorly conditioned, as you suggest. ND shot 49% for the game, whereas UConn shot 52%. Because of ND's lack of size, they shot from the perimeter, and they shot very well from 3. Of course UConn shot the ball from closer to the basket, and thus had a huge advantage at the FT line (24 FT attempts to ND's 10 FT attempts).

Bballnut is a Tennessee fan, not a South Carolina fan.

I didn't say that ND was poorly conditioned or even suggest it---i don't mix words--I said uconn won the second half because they were Conditioned---and they were--no secret here --that's what Geno does he conditions them.
Did you get this direct from muffet or did you have mental telepathy??? FINALLY an ND fan that admits Uconn was/is the better team. Didn't turner play in that game/??? Smart move by Muffet to sit her down and watch Stewie in action--save her for the NCAA's --oh, she lost there too--and NOT to UConn.

I thought that Muffy was among the top coaches---after your posting about that game--i'm losing all respect for her. But we always have GEnO..

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I didn't say that ND was poorly conditioned or even suggest it---i don't mix words--I said uconn won the second half because they were Conditioned---and they were--no secret here --that's what Geno does he conditions them.
Did you get this direct from muffet or did you have mental telepathy??? FINALLY an ND fan that admits Uconn was/is the better team. Didn't turner play in that game/??? Smart move by Muffet to sit her down and watch Stewie in action--save her for the NCAA's --oh, she lost there too--and NOT to UConn.

I thought that Muffy was among the top coaches---after your posting about that game--i'm losing all respect for her. But we always have GEnO..
You said that UConn played better than ND and DePaul in the second half because they were better conditioned. Isn't that the same thing as saying that ND lacked proper conditioning, i.e., it was at a lower level than UConn's and that hurt the Irish? I assumed that was what you were suggesting. So what were you suggesting then?

What quote/thought did I attribute to Muffet? ND didn't have their center (Turner). Their backup post played only 13 minutes, acquiring 4 fouls. So ND's team was small and they played small ball. I thought that was obvious. Did you see the game?

No, Turner didn't play in the game. As I stated the in post that you quoted, Turner was lost a week before the game. The UConn game was the third game she missed in a 6-game absence due to a shoulder injury.

What in my post led you to lose all respect for Muffet?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched that game and was stunned at the lifelessness shown by her players. She wasn't even going crazy. By the beginning of the 4th it seemed MD either knew they were going to lose or knew they were going to come back and steal the game because they showed no pulse.
Yeah, it was surreal how lethargic everyone associated with the Terps seemed until very late in the game.

Reaction Score
I was wondering if Jeff Walz played a major role in MD's NC. I sort of recall this opinion.

Reaction Score
I was wondering if Jeff Walz played a major role in MD's NC. I sort of recall this opinion.

As far as I've seen this opinion is derived from 2 sources:
1) Folks don't like Frese. Ergo, let's give someone else credit.
2) Walz drew up the play that sent the game to OT. Since Geno draws up his own plays, thus it must be that he-who-draws-up-plays is the 100% brains behind any operation. Some might say that it's a sign of good leadership to give some key tasks to a coaching team member to help him/her develop, but again, see point #1.

This line of argument would carry more weight, imho, had Frese not taken 2 other teams to the final 4 and had a perennial top 10 team without Walz.

Reaction Score
This wacky "rehash" thread, and the parallel one addressing speculation over pre-season rankings, are both indicative of the fact that the off-season has gone on too long, and that it's time for questions about the relative strengths of the top teams to be decided between the lines. I have no problem with Brenda's comments...she's a good coach with a good team, same for Dawn, Muffett, Jeff and Kim. Let's see what each of them can produce in what allegedly promises to be a new era of expanded parity (which I would welcome). Any of these teams can be ranked #1 at this point in the season, or during the season, without complaint from me. The only poll that means anything, as always, is the one we'll see in the second week of April.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I listened to Coach Geno's show last night. FSU Coach was a guess on Geno's show (call-in). The question of "Parity" came up, and I admire what Coach Sue response was. Coach Sue said "it's not UConn fault, and it's not Geno fault".....it's the other coaches. The other coaches have to make their teams better.

UConn will not lower it's standard, so that teams can take home a trophy.

Notre Dame- Until Muffet McGraw learn how to spell Team, the Irish will not win another Championship. Geno told her after the 2014 Championship, you can't depend on one or two players to win a Championship.

Maryland- Brenda Frese need to understand, you have to coach your team. You can not stand on the sidelines and complain the whole game, and you can't rely on your team to be bullies. The Terps will not win another Championship, until Brenda Frese improve her coaching skills.

Reaction Score
I listened to Coach Geno's show last night. FSU Coach was a guess on Geno's show (call-in). The question of "Parity" came up, and I admire what Coach Sue response was. Coach Sue said "it's not UConn fault, and it's not Geno fault".....it's the other coaches. The other coaches have to make their teams better.

UConn will not lower it's standard, so that teams can take home a trophy.

Notre Dame- Geno told her after the 2014 Championship, you can't depend on one or two players to win a Championship.
I don't see why Notre Dame can't win it this season. They have had teams that went to the championship game with less talent than this years team.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I don't see why Notre Dame can't win it this season. They have had teams that went to the championship game with less talent than this years team.
Notre Dame will not win another Championship depending on one or two players. Muffet McGraw only Championship was with Ruth Riley, and she was lucky with Ruth. Notre Dame loss the semi-final game in 2013 depending on Skylar Diggins, they loss the Championship 2014 depending on Jewel Lloyd and they loss the Championship 2015 depending on Lindsey Allen and Brianna Turner.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame will not win another Championship depending on one or two players. Muffet McGraw only Championship was with Ruth Riley, and she was lucky with Ruth. Notre Dame loss the semi-final game in 2013 depending on Skylar Diggins, they loss the Championship 2014 depending on Jewel Lloyd and they loss the Championship 2015 depending on Lindsey Allen and Brianna Turner.
I'm sure Mabrey, Ogunbuwale, Boley and Young will be more than enough to assist. Especially in March and April.

I do agree with you on Brenda. She is more of a rah, rah coach and just average on Xs and Os. But she might have enough talent this season that it may not make a difference. Her top 10 players if healthy might be as good as any in the country. Especially when you talk about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th players.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I'm sure Mabrey, Ogunbuwale, Boley and Young will be more than enough to assist. Especially in March and April.

I do agree with you on Brenda. She is more of a rah, rah coach and just average on Xs and Os. But she might have enough talent this season that it may not make a difference. Her top 10 players if healthy might be as good as any in the country. Especially when you talk about the 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th players.
Notre Dame in 2013 had Skylar Diggins; Kayla McBride; Natalie Achonwa and Jewel Lloyd, but Muffet McGraw relied on Skylar Diggins. The 2014 Championship, Notre Dame had Jewel Lloyd; Kayla McBride; M. Mabrey; Madison Cable; Reimer; Lindsey Allen and others, but again she relied on Jewel Lloyd. The 2015 Championship, Notre Dame had Lindsey Allen; Reimer; Madison Cable; Brianna Turner; M. Mabrey and others, but she relied on Lindsey Allen and Brianna Turner.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame in 2013 had Skylar Diggins; Kayla McBride; Natalie Achonwa and Jewel Lloyd, but Muffet McGraw relied on Skylar Diggins. The 2014 Championship, Notre Dame had Jewel Lloyd; Kayla McBride; M. Mabrey; Madison Cable; Reimer; Lindsey Allen and others, but again she relied on Jewel Lloyd. The 2015 Championship, Notre Dame had Lindsey Allen; Reimer; Madison Cable; Brianna Turner; M. Mabrey and others, but she relied on Lindsey Allen and Brianna Turner.
Loyd played in 2015 in her Jr. year. She went to the WNBA that year to be the No. 1 pick.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Loyd played in 2015 in her Jr. year. She went to the WNBA that year to be the No. 1 pick.
Lloyd didn't return to Notre Dame for 2014/2015 season. Jewel Lloyd turned pro 2014, and she was the number 1 draft pick. KML graduated 2014, and she was suppose to be the number 1 draft pick, but Lloyd entered the draft.

Reaction Score
Lloyd didn't return to Notre Dame for 2014/2015 season. Jewel Lloyd turned pro 2014, and she was the number 1 draft pick. KML graduated 2014, and she was suppose to be the number 1 draft pick, but Lloyd entered the draft.
Sorry to tell you but everything you just said is wrong.Hartley and Dolson graduated in 2014 in the only year Uconn was 40-0. It was the 2nd NC for them. KML was injured against Stanford and had Mono and missed alot of time. When she came back from the injured elbow she had 7 3s against Duke. 2014 was only year 2 teams in Div. 1 men or women played for NC with undefeated records. Uconn won 79-58 for the 2014 NC and in the rematch for the 2015 NC the Huskies won 63-53 for a 3rd straight NC with KML leading the way with 15 pts! Diggins 2013, Mcbride 2014 and Loyd 2015.

WestCoastPup

Eclipse
Reaction Score
Jones ran into a player she could not bully or move out of her way and would not back down. Also, she could go to the perimeter and shoot. Jones could not check her out there.

Would really love to re-watch this game (WA - Maryland). Any ideas on where to find?
I check on youtube, but came up empty...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Would really love to re-watch this game (WA - Maryland). Any ideas on where to find?
I check on youtube, but came up empty...
No. I have searched, however I could not find it anywhere. You may be able to find highlights.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Notre Dame/Muffet not getting more respect. Prior to Stewie, they had several years of positive results versus UConn. With 1 more great player, there are likely 10+ teams that could pull a "Baylor" and come out of the pack and win it all. We sometimes forget teams like Texas A&M, a few years before Baylor, won it all as well. Doubt the top teams are not focused on UConn but working to get better in all areas. Geno has proven this approach works. He never underestimates competition.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not sure why Notre Dame/Muffet not getting more respect. Prior to Stewie, they had several years of positive results versus UConn. With 1 more great player, there are likely 10+ teams that could pull a "Baylor" and come out of the pack and win it all. We sometimes forget teams like Texas A&M, a few years before Baylor, won it all as well. Doubt the top teams are not focused on UConn but working to get better in all areas. Geno has proven this approach works. He never underestimates competition.
Muffet McGraw need to stop talking so much, and learn how to spell Team. Instead of talking negative about UConn, and celebrating that UConn loss Stewie; Mo and Morgan, she need to coach her team, and stop relying on one or two players. Until Muffet McGraw fix that issue, Notre Dame, will not win another Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom