OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at Maryland's schedule, the toughest game she has scheduled before playing UConn is Louisville in the B1G/ACC challenge. She also has games with Arizona State and Washington State but the rest of their opponents are not particularly impressive. That approach will allow her freshmen time to acclimate themselves to the college game, but it won't provide much preparation for playing UConn who will be battle tested by the time they play each other. Of, course, this is only my opinion.

I find it interesting that coaches are saying that other schools have a chance at winning the NC this year not because they are improving, but because UConn lost the Big Three. Doesn't necessarily promote the quality of your program and your players when you put it that way. I suppose it is being realistic, though.

Reaction Score
Hay CL82: How about Sam Elliot? RAM...............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Isn't the answer just to say something like:

"Connecticut is very strong program with terrific athletes and a wonderful history. They are always tough to beat but I feel very good about our players this year so we look forward to testing ourselves against the best in our sport, as we do every year."

That way you avoid the bulliten board material. Privately, you can tell your team that it is a down year for Connecticut and that you'll beat them. But it is a no win proposition to say that the bar is lower this year.

I'll get hammered for this, but it seems to me it is a gender thing - the top women coaches in the game are never going to get over their rancorous envy of Geno and what he has accomplished and never acknowledge what he has done to elevate the game(and their salaries).

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Maryland is a team of bullies. If they can't match you, they start throwing themselves at you. If you don't believe me, go back and watch the Final Four game in 2015 and the game at MSG in 2015.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"There's hope for more teams now. And just because there's hope, there's a chance for everybody based on what happened last year. The fact that there's no great, great, great teams now …. Like, no one's sitting here going if that team doesn't win a national championship then something happened. The talent is being spread out to the point where nobody's that good to the point where they can just mail it in. That's a good thing. That's a good thing for everybody."
Better crucify this coach for that sentiment, right? :rolleyes:
(Or, maybe not. Geno said it.)
I don't find the sentiments in the Brenda and Muffet quotes to be the same as this one from Geno.
The difference is a subtle and as large, depending on you POV, as the difference between dry snitching and real snitching.
With dry snitching you speak in such a way so that everyone knows who you are talking about without naming names.
For Example: "The fact that there's no great, great, great teams now"..... is different than saying "UCONN lost the big three therefore they UCONN is weaker".

Reaction Score
I'll get hammered for this, but it seems to me it is a gender thing - the top women coaches in the game are never going to get over their rancorous envy of Geno and what he has accomplished and never acknowledge what he has done to elevate the game(and their salaries).

I would love to see your evidence to support this claim.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And that statement is incorrect because ... ?
Correct as in factual, wrong because it lacks tack, as in:
"Mind your own business! " ( Muffet,Brenda )
"Worry about your own team!" (Muffet, Brenda)
"You didn't graduate any good players? " (Muffet)
"We'll be alright don't worry" (Muffet, Tara, Brenda)
" You didn't want to play us while we had them 3 why you coming around now"? (Kim)

Reaction Score
Correct as in factual, wrong because it lacks tack, as in:
"Mind your own business! " ( Muffet,Brenda )
"Worry about your own team!" (Muffet, Brenda)
"You didn't graduate any good players? " (Muffet)
"We'll be alright don't worry" (Muffet, Tara, Brenda)
" You didn't want to play us while we had them 3 why you coming around now"? (Kim)

1) I have no idea what this has to do with pushpins.
2) Geez, you'd think after 11 championships, folks would be a little less hypersensitive about every imagined or real slight.
3) I also don't think the statement lacks tact.
4) The natural question entering a season is whether UConn is going to continue to steamroll the sports and make it an(other) uncompetitive season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1) I have no idea what this has to do with pushpins.
2) Geez, you'd think after 11 championships, folks would be a little less hypersensitive about every imagined or real slight.
3) I also don't think the statement lacks tact.
4) The natural question entering a season is whether UConn is going to continue to steamroll the sports and make it an(other) uncompetitive season.
1) Good one. :D
2) I'm greedy like that-not speaking for anyone else just me. Yes I can & do imagine a UCONN slight in any statement from ND, Baylor, Duke, Stanford, MD ...... you can thank me later-or not!
3) We'll agree to disagree.
4) I' rather be on top side if steam rolling is inevitable. It's not up to UCONN to create competition.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Rival coaches chirping, everybody with their chests puffed out.. feathers being ruffled.

(See what I did there?)

This is going to be a great season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would love to see your evidence to support this claim.

Just years of anecdotal evidence, is all. Either you were there or you weren't. But you are noted in the PC column on this vowelguy. Have you ever heard Geno on the Grand Dames of WCBB and him: the Grand Dames is his phrase not mine.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They might be champions of the Big 10....but I would bet on Ohio State.

Reaction Score
OBTW: This was a thoughtful article way back when about the glass ceiling for men in WCBB. Plenty of simple stats, but a balanced article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/29/sports/college-basketball-debating-the-male-coach-s-role.html?_r=0
Nice article. Long time ago - I think % of men coaching WBB has increased since then. Always loved this quote from DT - always the troublemaker....

Diana Taurasi of UConn said she wanted to play for a man in college. ''You might respect more what's coming of a man's mouth about basketball,'' she said, adding that having a woman yell at her seemed akin to having her mother admonish her to do the dishes or take out the trash. ''The only woman yelling at me is my mom,'' Taurasi said. ''That's the way I'd like to keep it.''

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Love the confidence ETT. I look forward to the game. It will be a great test of where we are vs. the field.

I will believe that a team can beat UCONN when I see it happen. I certainly hope that it's not FSU as I want Baylor to have the chance to end the winning streak. It will be a TALL order and certainly no easy feat.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nice article. Long time ago - I think % of men coaching WBB has increased since then. Always loved this quote from DT - always the troublemaker....

Diana Taurasi of UConn said she wanted to play for a man in college. ''You might respect more what's coming of a man's mouth about basketball,'' she said, adding that having a woman yell at her seemed akin to having her mother admonish her to do the dishes or take out the trash. ''The only woman yelling at me is my mom,'' Taurasi said. ''That's the way I'd like to keep it.''

That explains Brondello's inability to control DT at times. Her lack of respect for Brondello was often very evident. Do you think for a minute that DT thought that Brondello knew more than she did?

Reaction Score
Though they played us well last year, they couldn't beat a team with double-digit losses at home in the NCAA tourney.
That was a very poorly coached game by Brenda. Unlike the Tennessee/Louisville games two years ago when she was brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom