OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions | The Boneyard

OT:Brenda/Terps Say This May be Their Year to be Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
bulletinboardbest.jpg

"So the Maryland coach thinks you guys are weak..."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, there is this to consider Brenda while your mouth is running in its inimitable fashion:

"Ultimately, a loss to the Huskies did end their season. But not those Huskies. Maryland was uncommonly inefficient in an opening-round NCAA tournament win over Iona at Xfinity Center, and faced a shorthanded Washington team in the second round. For the first time in three seasons, the No. 2 seed Terps didn't make it to the Final Four, or even out of College Park. The seventh-seeded Huskies won, 74-65."

What's that old saying about chickens and counting?

So many see the sun setting on UConn; I see it as the dawn of a new, bright future for our Huskies. Some do confuse sunset and dawn:

2 sunrise.jpg

It's dawn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I love it that these coaches (Muffet , Tara, Brenda) are backing themselves into a corner by mouthing off about UCONN having a "down/weak/ parity" kind of year.
This "might" be true but have they forgotten how wide the gap was to begin with?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Brenda and her players forget that UConn takes it to a whole other place come March. Washington Huskies did that to the Terps last year as well. You have to be able to run with the Big Dogs for 40 minutes. Our women, I expect to lose 3-5 regular season games, so Brenda's Turtles may be one of them and, if so, expect them to celebrate like they just won the Nat'l Championship. Wasn't it Maryland that practiced winning the championship a couple of seasons ago?

Reaction Score
This is coming from a coach who was humiliated in the final four by Notre Dame by 26. Notre Dame was without Natalie Achonwa.

Then Brenda throws her staff under the bus. Maryland WBB is a big happy family.

Last edited:

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
UConn still has a talented team, and with the guidance and leadership of Geno Auriemma; Chris Daley; Shae Ralph and Marisa Moseley, UConn is going to be an amazing team this season. Have your celebration now, because soon it will be over. The sad thing about all these teams are, instead of trying to reach UConn's level...they would rather UConn come down to their level. I have news for these teams, it's not going to happen, and you will continue to lose to UConn. #UConnnumber1fanforever!!!!

CL82

Reaction Score
I love it that these coaches (Muffet , Tara, Brenda) are backing themselves into a corner by mouthing off about UCONN having a "down/weak/ parity" kind of year.
This "might" be true but have they forgotten how wide the gap was to begin with?
Isn't the answer just to say something like:

"Connecticut is very strong program with terrific athletes and a wonderful history. They are always tough to beat but I feel very good about our players this year so we look forward to testing ourselves against the best in our sport, as we do every year."

That way you avoid the bulliten board material. Privately, you can tell your team that it is a down year for Connecticut and that you'll beat them. But it is a no win proposition to say that the bar is lower this year.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The Maryland game last year from start to finish was the most competitive game they had all year. Maryland was the ONLY TEAM UConn didn't have atleast a 15 point lead on at some point in the game... mind you most teams including Notre Dame & South Carolina were losing by 20 or more at some point in the game vs UConn. Brionna Jones turned into Liz Cambage Jr. for a good 20 minutes.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Many of these teams see the coming season and or seasons as a brave new world where their squad has such talent in it. But winning takes more than talent. It's winning when you don't play your best; when the other team plays out of their minds; where your team gets out coached; where the refs give the other team the calls; when every night you get the other teams best. Most hard is winning every night when you're expected to win, and win big against other fine teams. Championships aren't necessarily won on the recruiting trail, it's won on the court in practice and game time. Championships are won from the inside out: Inside the coaches offices, inside the practice court, inside the players minds, inside the players hearts. Most of these teams and coaches, good coaches, have no real idea what it really takes to win a championship. Most of these teams will fall short, and I for one will enjoy watching these highly touted and talented teams fall because of their own shortcomings.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Many of these teams see the coming season and or seasons as a brave new world where their squad has such talent in it. But winning takes more than talent. It's winning when you don't play your best; when the other team plays out of their minds; where your team gets out coached; where the refs give the other team the calls; when every night you get the other teams best. Most hard is winning every night when you're expected to win, and win big against other fine teams. Championships aren't necessarily won on the recruiting trail, it's won on the court in practice and game time. Championships are won from the inside out: Inside the coaches offices, inside the practice court, inside the players minds, inside the players hearts. Most of these teams and coaches, good coaches, have no real idea what it really takes to win a championship. Most of these teams will fall short, and I for one will enjoy watching these highly touted and talented teams fall because of their own shortcomings.

Would you have any respect for MUFFET OR BRENDA OR DAWN ---if they did not tell their kids--this is YOUR year.. But in terms of being prepare--everything you say is correct--

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
"There's hope for more teams now. And just because there's hope, there's a chance for everybody based on what happened last year. The fact that there's no great, great, great teams now …. Like, no one's sitting here going if that team doesn't win a national championship then something happened. The talent is being spread out to the point where nobody's that good to the point where they can just mail it in. That's a good thing. That's a good thing for everybody."

Better crucify this coach for that sentiment, right? :rolleyes:

(Or, maybe not. Geno said it.)

Reaction Score
The Maryland game last year from start to finish was the most competitive game they had all year. Maryland was the ONLY TEAM UConn didn't have atleast a 15 point lead on at some point in the game... mind you most teams including Notre Dame & South Carolina were losing by 20 or more at some point in the game vs UConn. Brionna Jones turned into Liz Cambage Jr. for a good 20 minutes.

Jones used her big strong, not tall, body to muscle into the paint--like Adams of A&M--under rated, under appreciated. But i think Butler is capable of handling that match up.

Reaction Score
Brenda and her players forget that UConn takes it to a whole other place come March. Washington Huskies did that to the Terps last year as well. You have to be able to run with the Big Dogs for 40 minutes. Our women, I expect to lose 3-5 regular season games, so Brenda's Turtles may be one of them and, if so, expect them to celebrate like they just won the Nat'l Championship. Wasn't it Maryland that practiced winning the championship a couple of seasons ago?

Rocky---I doubt many Top 10 coaches are dissing uconn or throwing them under the bus. That only motivates Christine and she in turn motivates the team.
Still--it is the job of any coach to instill confidence and to make their team think ---'this is their year'
As long as they don't insult Geno or his team--everything else is correct.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Though they played us well last year, they couldn't beat a team with double-digit losses at home in the NCAA tourney.

CL82

Reaction Score
.. winning takes more than talent. It's winning when you don't play your best; when the other team plays out of their minds; where your team gets out coached; where the refs give the other team the calls; when every night you get the other teams best. Most hard is winning every night when you're expected to win, and win big against other fine teams. Championships aren't necessarily won on the recruiting trail, it's won on the court in practice and game time. Championships are won from the inside out: Inside the coaches offices, inside the practice court, inside the players minds, inside the players hearts.
Why do I hear this in John Facenda's voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom