OT- Boxing is a joke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Boxing is a joke

Reaction Score
It apparently has been going on for quite a while. Disclosures by Henry Hill that the mob had fixed all kind of fights including Clay (Ali) - Liston have come to light. Liston (whom I admired as a fighter...had a knockout jab!) was known to be in the tank.
When you think that boxing commissions would allow ex con felons in professional prize fighting you get the picture. My suspected favorite fixes were the Duran (no mas) fight and Marvin Hagler losing to Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard was a media darling (ABC Howard Cossell) who was hyped from his first fight (every one of his fights were televised on national tv). Hagler was a brutal two fisted knockout fighter and a middleweight. A really good fighter. Leonard was mostly a lightweight who became a welter. He packed on more weight to fight Hagler who should have knocked him silly. I finally stopped watching it.
I get nauseous when I hear Leonard commenting on fights.

Wow

Reaction Score
Years ago I wouldn't have missed a boxing match like this. I didn't even watch it on free TV. It's stuff like this that has allowed UFC to rise to where it is today. It's almost impossible for Atlas to have the fight 117-111 for PAC and a judge have the same score for Horn.
This is the biggest thing that sucked about last night. Boxing never manages to shoot itself in the foot. This couldve been a good night for boxing but nope. Same ol bs that keeps turning fans off to the sport.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Years ago I wouldn't have missed a boxing match like this. I didn't even watch it on free TV. It's stuff like this that has allowed UFC to rise to where it is today. It's almost impossible for Atlas to have the fight 117-111 for PAC and a judge have the same score for Horn.

UFC that's it's own fights like this.

Shogun/machida 1 was so one sided it was laughable and yet they still gave it to the champ.

Reaction Score
UFC that's it's own fights like this.

Shogun/machida 1 was so one sided it was laughable and yet they still gave it to the champ.
Yea the UFC drivel thats been shouted on social media and message boards is comical considering they use the same commissions and refs. UFC/MMA has bad decisions all the time, Dana White spends a good deal of time slamming judges for their decisions, hell its the root of his beef with GSP.

Reaction Score
I was laughing when I saw the two judges have it totally backwards.
This is why Tyson was so great. When he was done, there wasn't typically room to debate - he just destroyed the other guy.
Problem with boxing is exactly what the problem is with Mayweather. I saw his last fight. He retreated and slapped at the guy for 12 rounds, or whatever it was, and he wins because he landed more punches, or whatever.

The scoring is ambiguous because the punching power of each punch is ambiguous.

Say what you want about MMA - it's certainly got major flaws - but the younger, less patient viewer likes the certainty of a finish, and there aren't too many WTF decisions.

Also, boxing will never, ever shake the widely held belief that fights are routinely rigged. A well deserved label that will never wash off.
Posts like this is how YDKSAB came into existence.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Yea the UFC drivel thats been shouted on social media and message boards is comical considering they use the same commissions and refs. UFC/MMA has bad decisions all the time, Dana White spends a good deal of time slamming judges for their decisions, hell its the root of his beef with GSP.

Man this one was so bad, they tried to justify it by counting punches to the arm as connections.

Normal people call those blocks.

Reaction Score
Posts like this is how YDKSAB came into existence.
Well, it's good that the few, the proud, the dwindling boxing purists have a place they can go to point out what others don't know, and I'm not even a casual fan. It's been 20 years since I knew more than 3 names in boxing.

So when I say how great Iron Mike was or how bad Mayweather is, it's certainly fair to read that as, "how entertaining/not entertaining."

Mayweather was boring. Don't need to be a boxing fan to know that. I suppose if you are part of the YDKSAB inteligentsia, you probably think Mayweather was wildly entertaining because of his alien counter punching skills. That's fine. For everybody else - that is, the group that holds boxing's fate in it's purse - Mayweather is not entertaining and Tyson was.

Reaction Score
Man there sure are a lot of bitter old "back in my day we walked 7 miles to school!" Dudes in here. Love that a couple people have admitted to not watching or knowing the names of fighters and are continuing to weigh in.

Reaction Score
Well, it's good that the few, the proud, the dwindling boxing purists have a place they can go to point out what others don't know, and I'm not even a casual fan. It's been 20 years since I knew more than 3 names in boxing.

So when I say how great Iron Mike was or how bad Mayweather is, it's certainly fair to read that as, "how entertaining/not entertaining."

Mayweather was boring. Don't need to be a boxing fan to know that. I suppose if you are part of the YDKSAB inteligentsia, you probably think Mayweather was wildly entertaining because of his alien counter punching skills. That's fine. For everybody else - that is, the group that holds boxing's fate in it's purse - Mayweather is not entertaining and Tyson was.
Considering Mayweather's PPV numbers after the DLH rub, I dont think you were deciding the fate of anything lil homie.

Reaction Score
I went from watching every boxing match to just giving up on the sport.

Highlight was catching Ward v Gatti 1 at Mohegan Sun.

Is there any other sport that actively tries to make hardcore fans hate it?

Reaction Score
I went from watching every boxing match to just giving up on the sport.

Highlight was catching Ward v Gatti 1 at Mohegan Sun.

Is there any other sport that actively tries to make hardcore fans hate it?

You're not really a hardcore fan if you don't bother to watch any big fights.

Reaction Score

Most people think mayweather is boring because that's his fighting style. He's a technical fighter and limits getting hit while counter punching and OUT BOXING his opponents. That's his skill. All you are looking for is knockout power instead of pure boxing skill

Reaction Score
Leonard-Hagler was a little suspect but not terrible. Leonard ended strong and had his moments. Hagler's strong rounds weren't very memorable. At least it was very close in scoring too.

This Pac fight was a blowout on the cards and that's just fixed without even trying to hide it.

Reaction Score
You're not really a hardcore fan if you don't bother to watch any big fights.

See sentence one. I used to go to fights big and small while supporting the Hartford P.A.L. Boxing program. No more. I'm not even a fan anymore. I will not support this farce of a product. More power to you for finding some value in the modern product, you would have loved the "back in my day era".

Reaction Score
See sentence one. I used to go to fights big and small while supporting the Hartford P.A.L. Boxing program. No more. I'm not even a fan anymore. I will not support this farce of a product. More power to you for finding some value in the modern product, you would have loved the "back in my day era".

Your entire post was pretty much disqualifying your own credentials. Gatti/Ward wasn't even that long ago either.

Reaction Score
Credentials? Someone is taking the internet too seriously. Have fun attacking people and showing your ignorance - rather than providing a constructive dialog.

Reaction Score
All you are looking for is knockout power instead of pure boxing skill
Not really. I'm looking to be entertained. That's it. Defensive counter-punching boxing with him running from the other guy for 10 rounds is not, to me, entertaining.
Definitely don't need a KO for a great fight - most great fights go the distance or close to it.
The last Mayweather fight I saw the guy literally was moving backwards and away from the other fighter for most of the fight. That behavior should be heavily penalized. Aggression and ring control should count for something, which they don't seem to in boxing.

The argument you're making is the same argument they're making for baseball's terrible pace and soccer's low scoring - that's the way it is, and purists love it.

Okay. Great. But boring. Mayweather is boring. People aren't paying to watch his fights because they're exciting. They're paying to watch because the guy's undefeated and considered one of the greatest ever in a sport with very few recognizable fighters. How are the PPV numbers for every other fight? That's a better question.

If the Chicken Ensalata is 90% of your sales, one way of looking at it is that you have great chicken Ensalata. Another way is that your other food is garbage.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I boxed when I was young and at one time boxing was my favorite spectator sport. I believe the decline of boxing began in the late '80's when ABC and NBC stopped showing live title and ranked contender matches on weekend afternoons. Some of the best fights I saw were those fights. Dwight Qawi, Marvin Johnson, John "The Beast" Mugabi and Donald Curry, and the best of all.....Hartford's own and my all-time favorite, Marlon "Magic Man" Starling knocking Mark Breland out. Boxing lost the casual fan. I'm not paying $75 for a pay for view fight that could be a snooze fest.

Reaction Score
Credentials? Someone is taking the internet too seriously. Have fun attacking people and showing your ignorance - rather than providing a constructive dialog.

And what constructive dialogue am I supposed to engage in with someone who's post is "I don't watch or know anything about boxing, but I hate boxing"?

Reaction Score
I boxed when I was young and at one time boxing was my favorite spectator sport. I believe the decline of boxing began in the late '80's when ABC and NBC stopped showing live title and ranked contender matches on weekend afternoons. Some of the best fights I saw were those fights. Dwight Qawi, Marvin Johnson, John "The Beast" Mugabi and Donald Curry, and the best of all.....Hartford's own and my all-time favorite, Marlon "Magic Man" Starling knocking Mark Breland out. Boxing lost the casual fan. I'm not paying $75 for a pay for view fight that could be a snooze fest.

Boxing is far more friendly to the average fan than the UFC is at this point. There's only a handful of boxing PPVs per year as opposed to UFC churning them out every 3-4 weeks (and hardly ever with the original advertised card). A lot of the bigger boxing fights happen on Showtime/HBO or regular network/cable TV.

Reaction Score
Anyways Manny did get screwed and should have won the fight something like 116-112, but the outrage of the decision is misguided. The real story from the fight is that Manny is pretty much done as a top level guy. I'd be surprised if Arum didn't just use whatever star power Manny has left to give someone like Crawford a rub before Manny unceremoniously retires.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom