OT- Boxing is a joke | The Boneyard

OT- Boxing is a joke

Reaction Score
I love the sport but once again they give a fight to a guy who doesn't deserve it. Pac is washed up and can't knock anyone out anymore but that fight wasn't even close. For being a legend in the sport Pac has been done dirty several times by the judges. Now this goofy Australian kid is taking shots at Mayweather, give me a break.

Reaction Score
The ESPN telecast is so funny, I love it , it's like a circus. Can't believe how they are going about this, how embarrassing.

Reaction Score
To put the cherry on top I get to see Stephen A. Smith in the studio analyzing it, lol. Hard to believe.

ESPN wake up, what an embarrassing post analysis.

Reaction Score
That was the most obviously rigged event I've ever seen lol. Unbelievable
And to have Timothy Bradley commentating on it saying how close it is after he also won a fixed fight against Pacquaio is pretty damn ridiculous. Pac hasn't had his heart in it for a while but it's amazing how a legendary fighter continues to get robbed in the ring.

Reaction Score
The telecast is dopey as hell right down to the Rocky storyline but the decision is worse. The fight wasn't even close and yet some guy had it 117-111 the other way. Tired of watching fixed fights but I seem to always watch.

Reaction Score
Boxing has always been fixed for years, not sure why you are surprised, this has been going on since it started.

Reaction Score
That was the most obviously rigged event I've ever seen lol. Unbelievable
I love it, lol, great stuff, always can count on Boxing for a fixed event.

Reaction Score
Years ago I wouldn't have missed a boxing match like this. I didn't even watch it on free TV. It's stuff like this that has allowed UFC to rise to where it is today. It's almost impossible for Atlas to have the fight 117-111 for PAC and a judge have the same score for Horn.

Reaction Score
I love the sport but once again they give a fight to a guy who doesn't deserve it. Pac is washed up and can't knock anyone out anymore but that fight wasn't even close. For being a legend in the sport Pac has been done dirty several times by the judges. Now this goofy Australian kid is taking shots at Mayweather, give me a break.
I thoroughly expect him to beat Mayweather by throwing salt in his eyes and then hitting him over the head with a chair while the refs back is turned

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Boxing has always been fixed for years, not sure why you are surprised, this has been going on since it started.
It apparently has been going on for quite a while. Disclosures by Henry Hill that the mob had fixed all kind of fights including Clay (Ali) - Liston have come to light. Liston (whom I admired as a fighter........had a knockout jab!) was known to be in the tank.
When you think that boxing commissions would allow ex con felons in professional prize fighting you get the picture. My suspected favorite fixes were the Duran (no mas) fight and Marvin Hagler losing to Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard was a media darling (ABC Howard Cossell) who was hyped from his first fight (every one of his fights were televised on national tv). Hagler was a brutal two fisted knockout fighter and a middleweight. A really good fighter. Leonard was mostly a lightweight who became a welter. He packed on more weight to fight Hagler who should have knocked him silly. I finally stopped watching it.
I get nauseous when I hear Leonard commenting on fights.

Reaction Score
I get why people don't like Leonard's persona but he was a thing of beauty in the ring. The Leonard Hearns fight was great fight to watch. The Hearns Hagler fight was an all timer. I haven't watched an entire fight for decades.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
I stopped watching boxing because of people
like Don King and the death of the heavyweight division.
It apparently has been going on for quite a while. Disclosures by Henry Hill that the mob had fixed all kind of fights including Clay (Ali) - Liston have come to light. Liston (whom I admired as a fighter...had a knockout jab!) was known to be in the tank.
When you think that boxing commissions would allow ex con felons in professional prize fighting you get the picture. My suspected favorite fixes were the Duran (no mas) fight and Marvin Hagler losing to Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard was a media darling (ABC Howard Cossell) who was hyped from his first fight (every one of his fights were televised on national tv). Hagler was a brutal two fisted knockout fighter and a middleweight. A really good fighter. Leonard was mostly a lightweight who became a welter. He packed on more weight to fight Hagler who should have knocked him silly. I finally stopped watching it.
I get nauseous when I hear Leonard commenting on fights.

Leonard was great. That Hagler fight was shady. I agree.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know this one was free but I can't believe people pay for this stuff.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I fell asleep a few rounds into the bantamweight fight between the Filipino and Japanese guy. What was the result? I can't stay up to watch these late fights anymore.

Reaction Score
The refs were beyond terrible. Chanel Mosley Ir. also got a gift decision on the undercard.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
The refs were beyond terrible. Chanel Mosley Ir. also got a gift decision on the undercard.
If losing a decision is a gift, then yes, Mosley Jr. got a gift. Maybe the gift is that at 10-2-1 against less than elite fighters, maybe he'll realize that boxing isn't the right career choice.

Reaction Score
If losing a decision is a gift, then yes, Mosley Jr. got a gift. Maybe the gift is that at 10-2-1 against less than elite fighters, maybe he'll realize that boxing isn't the right career choice.

I wasn't clear. He list, but one judge had him winning and two had it close. Not sure what fight they saw.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score

Who's the Marcus of Queensberry guy Atlas is referring to? I think I went to school with Marcus but I don't remember him creating rules for boxing......

Reaction Score
When I was a kid and into my 20's boxing was very popular. Leonard, Hearns, Hagler, Duran, etc. were all time greats. Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holyfield and Tyson in the heavyweight division provided some of the most notable heavyweight fights in the history of the sport. We even had the local kid, Marlon Starling, who had some good success. The U.S. used to dominate the Olympics in boxing. Since then boxing is not very popular. Not sure if it's because of the rise of MMA and UFC or because the sport of boxing became so corrupt that people lost interest. Whatever the reasons it just isn't the same as it was when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
That was highway robbery last night. The only thing you could say is,the kid brought pressure all night and it was in his home country, but he was lucky to be allowed to continue after the 9th.

Terrible decision. As for espn being back in the boxing game with Top Rank fighters, that is huge for boxing. They do some PBC events also.

Reaction Score
I was laughing when I saw the two judges have it totally backwards.
This is why Tyson was so great. When he was done, there wasn't typically room to debate - he just destroyed the other guy.
Problem with boxing is exactly what the problem is with Mayweather. I saw his last fight. He retreated and slapped at the guy for 12 rounds, or whatever it was, and he wins because he landed more punches, or whatever.

The scoring is ambiguous because the punching power of each punch is ambiguous.

Say what you want about MMA - it's certainly got major flaws - but the younger, less patient viewer likes the certainty of a finish, and there aren't too many WTF decisions.

Also, boxing will never, ever shake the widely held belief that fights are routinely rigged. A well deserved label that will never wash off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom