OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread | Page 86 | The Boneyard

OT: Boneyard "Other Football" World Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ya, things b/w Stoke and Arsenal have heated up a bit the past couple years. The LOVE Ramsey at the Britania.
Yea, they break his leg and then hate him. :mad:

He's come back pretty good though. :D

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Seems unfair to blame the current club for something a bunch of fans did 30 years ago. I really hope we aren't all judged by the worst elements of our fandom. I've seen UConn fans do and say some pretty terrible things but I do not hold the University of Connecticut accountable.

If fans of the University of Connecticut stampeded and killed over 30 fans from an opposing team, I would certainly understand why the rest of their fans might choose to hate us for the rest of their lives. Period.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Having a disaster happen to fans that had created a previous disaster doesn't make the first disaster any better...
True, but just saying they've done their penance.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
True, but just saying they've done their penance.

Doing their penance would not be suffering a tragedy. That's a strange definition of "penance". Doing their penance would have been something like asking for forgiveness from the families that lost their loved ones, perhaps even going so far as to send financial aid to any children that lost their bread-winners to that tragedy. No, that was not doing their penance...

Oh, and by the way....SCREW LIVERPOOL!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. Johannsson was hurt before he joined the US team for the World Cup and had to have ankle surgery this week.

Only taking the fittest guys though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Doing their penance would not be suffering a tragedy. That's a strange definition of "penance". Doing their penance would have been something like asking for forgiveness from the families that lost their loved ones, perhaps even going so far as to send financial aid to any children that lost their bread-winners to that tragedy. No, that was not doing their penance...

Ok, penance probably wasn't the correct word. (I'm not Catholic anyway) They've paid their price, they've done their time, karma has been a bitch.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/heysel

Reaction Score

I mean, in a sense, isn't slavery your fault? Shouldn't you pay the children which were affected for hundreds of years?

Of course not. No more than most Liverpool supporters should be blamed for the actions of a very small minority of fans 3 decades ago.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I mean, in a sense, isn't slavery your fault? Shouldn't you pay the children which were affected for hundreds of years?

Of course not. No more than most Liverpool supporters should be blamed for the actions of a very small minority of fans 3 decades ago.

Oh! Oh my God! Loop, you're so right! I should support Liverpool now, because of your brilliant slavery analogy! How did I not see that before!!! :eek:

If I was walking around town in a white pointy hat, I should expect people to associate it with past transgressions, even if I just enjoy dressing up like a ghost. So forgive me if I see a Liverpool jersey and the Liverpool colors, and choose to remember past transgressions...

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before...SCREW LIVERPOOL!!!

Reaction Score
Oh! Oh my God! Loop, you're so right! I should support Liverpool now, because of your brilliant slavery analogy! How did I not see that before!!! :eek:

If I was walking around town in a white pointy hat, I should expect people to associate it with past transgressions, even if I just enjoy dressing up like a ghost. So forgive me if I see a Liverpool jersey and the Liverpool colors, and choose to remember past transgressions...

Oh, and if I didn't mention it before...SCREW LIVERPOOL!!!

Not saying you should root for them, but you didn't have to walk around in a pointy hat to support slavery. It was American law. You're American, right? Therefore, you are associated with slavery. If you ever carry a flag, you must therefore have supported the country which legally supported slavery. Understand? The KKK didn't invent slavery. Not sure how badly you have to fail history to be so thoroughly confused by this straightforward analogy.

Or how about if American soldiers do something terrible now? I mean, surely you're responsible for that, too. You ARE American. You belong to that group.

By your logic, anybody who belongs to a group who has members who did terrible things is terrible. Sorry, dude, stop being so terrible.

Reaction Score
As a FYI, looks like Klinsmann did not leave Wondo in the middle of the barrio for his mulligan against Belgium. Just walked past him and a bunch of other SJ Quake players coming out of the W hotel in Hoboken. The Quakes play the Red Bulls over in Harrison tomorrow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
West Brom spent 10m on a striker. Felt like guaranteed relegation prior to that.

If they can shake Hutton free of Villa might get to 15th.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not to go all #klinsmann but I have to say Besler wanting to stay in Kansas City is a bit disappointing.

I guess he wasn't going to be in play in 2018 anyway... but too bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not saying you should root for them, but you didn't have to walk around in a pointy hat to support slavery. It was American law. You're American, right? Therefore, you are associated with slavery. If you ever carry a flag, you must therefore have supported the country which legally supported slavery. Understand? The KKK didn't invent slavery. Not sure how badly you have to fail history to be so thoroughly confused by this straightforward analogy.

Or how about if American soldiers do something terrible now? I mean, surely you're responsible for that, too. You ARE American. You belong to that group.

By your logic, anybody who belongs to a group who has members who did terrible things is terrible. Sorry, dude, stop being so terrible.

Let's say you are taking a classic version of the SATs.

This isn't Memphis so you can't send someone in your place...

When they throw out:
Manchester United:New York Yankees

A: Spackler:Whaler11
B: Pasqualoni:Saban
C: Irish Loop & Dan 97
D: AAC:SEC

(Spoiler: guess C.)

If it was 95 degrees for 25 straight days I could accept you two fighting. We'd ease into a 100 degree day and UConn would bury Murray State in the second half.

Since it's been reasonable temperatures for a month and we are weeks from the season... there is no reason to be invoking slavery, the KKK or any other sad chapter of human history.

Let's cut down on the friendly fire.

Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Not saying you should root for them, but you didn't have to walk around in a pointy hat to support slavery. It was American law. You're American, right? Therefore, you are associated with slavery. If you ever carry a flag, you must therefore have supported the country which legally supported slavery. Understand? The KKK didn't invent slavery. Not sure how badly you have to fail history to be so thoroughly confused by this straightforward analogy. Or how about if American soldiers do something terrible now? I mean, surely you're responsible for that, too. You ARE American. You belong to that group. By your logic, anybody who belongs to a group who has members who did terrible things is terrible. Sorry, dude, stop being so terrible.

So I'm responsible for everything that comes out of chapwilvaug's mouth? I'm not even sure what language he is speaking!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Let's say you are taking a classic version of the SATs.

This isn't Memphis so you can't send someone in your place...

When they throw out:
Manchester United:New York Yankees

A: Spackler:Whaler11
B: Pasqualoni:Saban
C: Irish Loop & Dan 97
D: AAC:SEC

(Spoiler: guess C.)

If it was 95 degrees for 25 straight days I could accept you two fighting. We'd ease into a 100 degree day and UConn would bury Murray State in the second half.

Since it's been reasonable temperatures for a month and we are weeks from the season... there is no reason to be invoking slavery, the KKK or any other sad chapter of human history.

Let's cut down on the friendly fire.

So....I'm hearing that the answer isn't B??? :eek:

Reaction Score
It makes the decision to replace Altidore with him even more puzzling.

I like Klinsmann, but i think his ego causes some poor decisions.

I saw Landycakes play tonight. Pfffft he wasn't even the best American on the field. Full report later.

You guys NEED to stop living in 2008.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
All the preseason games start this week. Seattle played Tottenham yesterday (3-3).

Wed - Sporting KC vs Manchester City 9:00 ESPN2
Wed - LA Galaxy vs Manchester United 11:00 Fox Sports 1
Wed - Liverpool vs Roma 7:30 NBCSN

Thur - Olympiakos vs AC Milan 7:30 Fox Sports 1

Sat - Manchester United vs Roma 4:00 Fox

Sun - AC Milan vs Manchester City 3:30 Fox Sports 1
Sun - Liverpool vs Olympiakos 6:00 Fox Sports 1

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
All the preseason games start this week. Seattle played Tottenham yesterday (3-3).

Wed - Sporting KC vs Manchester City 9:00 ESPN2
Wed - LA Galaxy vs Manchester United 11:00 Fox Sports 1
Wed - Liverpool vs Roma 7:30 NBCSN

Thur - Olympiakos vs AC Milan 7:30 Fox Sports 1

Sat - Manchester United vs Roma 4:00 Fox

Sun - AC Milan vs Manchester City 3:30 Fox Sports 1
Sun - Liverpool vs Olympiakos 6:00 Fox Sports 1

Thanks for posting this. Time to set the DVR to capture the games that I won't be able to see live. I hope the MLS squads really show up in these types of games, even if the European clubs might not take them with the same intensity. It looks like Seattle got us off to a decent start (I missed the game), and just to stay consistent with my thread comments, I hope Roma SCREWS LIVERPOOL!!! :p

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. Time to set the DVR to capture the games that I won't be able to see live. I hope the MLS squads really show up in these types of games, even if the European clubs might not take them with the same intensity. It looks like Seattle got us off to a decent start (I missed the game), and just to stay consistent with my thread comments, I hope Roma SCREWS LIVERPOOL!!! :p
And of course Arsenal takes on NY Red Bulls on Sat at 5:00. However, I don't think any TV. But that won't matter, cause I'll be there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom