OT: Bode Miller | The Boneyard

OT: Bode Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did anyone see that NBC reporter badger Bode, asking him questions about the younger brother that passed away last year until he broke down and cried? She should be off the air immediately.

NY Times article

I linked the Times article because most of the others published close up pictures of Bode crying even while excoriating the NBC reporter. Buncha vultures.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Did anyone see that NBC reporter badger Bode, asking him questions about the younger brother that passed away last year until he broke down and cried? She should be off the air immediately.

NY Times article

I linked the Times article because most of the others published close up pictures of Bode crying even while excoriating the NBC reporter. Buncha vultures.

100 % agree !! As the reporter kept "digging" and "digging" , I scrambled for my remote control ! Seriously. I didn't turn back to NBC until a few minutes later, when apparently Bode had knelt to the ground because he was so overcome. Cameras had to zero in on that, too.

It was an embarrassing journalistic (non-journalistic?) moment.

Reaction Score

NY Times article

Is that any different from the rest of Olympic coverage? I stopped watching prime time Olympics years ago because it was turned into one big features story. "We will take you to the thrilling finish of slalom next! Bit first, a 15 minute piece on how the skier overcame a stomach ache in the 2nd grade to compete here today."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a side note, the exec producer of the Olympics is Jim Bell, formerly of Branford.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
NBC and the reporter are getting hammered all over the internet.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Bode is every inch a gentleman;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter erupted with criticism for Cooper, with most saying she was too aggressive.

'NBC has NO shame. How many times do they need to make Bode Miller cry for his dead brother to promote their ratings,' one user wrote while another tweeted,'Some announcers just don't know when to stop asking questions-why can't they leave Bodie Miller alone and let him deal with his emotions.'

But Miller chimed in on Twitter, somewhat defending the journalist, who was previously a skier before getting the TV gig.

'I appreciate everyone sticking up for me. Please be gentle w christin cooper, it was crazy emotional and not all her fault. #heatofthemoment' he wrote.

He then added: 'My emotions were very raw, she asked the questions that every interviewer would have, pushing is part of it, she wasn't trying to cause pain.'

Reaction Score
I watched that post ski interview unfold on TV last night and my immediate reaction was that that reporter should be fired immediately.

Reaction Score
They should send her home along with the editor that decided to include it in the coverage. I gave up watching the Olympic coverage years ago because of this type of garbage. I will watch the Olympics on Youtube. Almost everything is put on there at some point.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
No, he isn't.
Actually, Bode is much more mature and balanced today than in his youth. He was something of a wild child but that seems to be past.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
NBC and Cooper should get hammered! No sympathy here.

At what point do you realize a fellow human being struggling with their emotions and let it go? Cooper doesn't seem to know were the line is.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
"We film the operation,
is the head dead yet,
you know the boys in the newsroom got a running bet,
get the widow on the set,
we need dirty laundry..."

Song by Don Henley

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
NBC and Cooper should get hammered! No sympathy here.

At what point do you realize a fellow human being struggling with their emotions and let it go? Cooper doesn't seem to know were the line is.
We really don't know if it was her or the production truck yelling in her ear pushing her on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In this incident he certainly was.

Yes, it was classy the way he let the interviewer off the hook. Not so much the way he took a baby away from it's mother and gave it to his new wife.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, it was classy the way he let the interviewer off the hook. Not so much the way he took a baby away from it's mother and gave it to his new wife.
He didn't take the baby from the child's mother. Miller & Sara McKenna are in the middle of a custody battle but for now, he worked out a deal with McKenna to take the baby to Sochi.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let's at least be accurate.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I agree about the NBC coverage. They seem to want to turn the Olympics into a bad reality show. I don't need to know the athlete's life story (or their stylized version of it) to appreciate the thrill of victory or the agony of defeat.
And they could probably do a better job of explaining the rules and judging criteria of some of these events that most of us watch only once every four years.

But I don't agree about Miller growing up. He's still a creep. He fathers two children out of wedlock, and then just a year ago announces his engagement to a third woman while another woman is still carrying his unborn child.
Classless, and not exactly a role model. And his brother dying doesn't change that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm always impressed at how many people want other people 'fired immediately' for any sort of mistake.

She asked one question too many. (I suspect there was a voice in her earpiece telling her to keep going.) It was awkward and I'm sure she realizes it, but I don't think she needs her career boxed up and thrown out into the snow over it.

Miller's not mad and that's pretty much the end of that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh, well, if someone told her to keep picking at the scabs, I guess that makes it all right. And so was the decision to keep the camera on the weeping Miller. All's good now.

Reaction Score
Oh, well, if someone told her to keep picking at the scabs, I guess that makes it all right.

I doubt she's a journalist. I bet she's an ex-athlete whose main piece of training was "do what your producer tells you." I think expecting her, as an inexperienced interviewer, to have the quick thinking to take in the moment, form a question, AND overrule her producer, is a kind of a lot.

Reaction Score
I am familiar with Bode Miller from Franconia, N.H. Started his downhill skiing on Cannon mountain at which I had participated for many years. It seems in life, unfortunately, Bode has had many issues to deal with. I wish him peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom