OT: Bo Ryan Retiring Immediately | The Boneyard

OT: Bo Ryan Retiring Immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My immediate reaction to the ESPN alert was "whoa." Bummer it's so sudden. Great coach. Always thought it was funny he looks like their mascot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Did he have an assistant that he wanted as HC? I know nothing about their program, I guess I'm asking if he pulled a JC.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Did he have an assistant that he wanted as HC? I know nothing about their program, I guess I'm asking if he pulled a JC.

Greg Gard. Initially named him coach-in-waiting this summer, but backed off (probably at Barry Alvarez's insistence).

Reaction Score
4. Losses to Western Illinois, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and a freshman-laden Marquette team.

I mean, they were in the final four last year. Doubt he was shown the door.

Reaction Score
That press conference seeemed odd. He barely acknowledged Alvarez and said if you have questios for "them" go ahead and ask. This doesn't seem like a happy decision to me.

Totally bizarre. He hasn't even told everyone on the staff?? Really? Why Not? WTF!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ok, guesses up:

1. Health
2. Scandal
3. Diamond Stone

1. Very wealthy
2. Kinda old
3. Doesn't need this s--- any more

It's been pretty apparent that he wasn't completely engaged in coaching - he's retired in some fashion twice before and the job is so hard that if you're not into it, it's probably crushing.

Bo Ryan probably wakes up a new man tomorrow.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This sounds like the prologue to a bigger story.

Reaction Score
To me pulling a Calhoun is an express you use when a coach takes a small time program and turns it into a powerhouse.

Or maybe if you dress down a reporter and it's kind of rude, even though everyone agrees he deserved it in the first place

Reaction Score
According to the ESPN article he would have done it sooner but Gard's father who had cancer was cited as a factor. He lost a lot of talent and they are losing and who needs the aggravation? Nuff said.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"This was a decision months in the making," Ryan said. "I brought this up to Barry back in April. He advised me to take some time to think it over, and I appreciated that. But in recent weeks, I have come to the conclusion that now is the right time for me to retire and for Greg Gard to have the opportunity to coach the team for the remainder of the season.

Thought about it for months, and decided that the press conference following a late cupcake game right before the semester exams and holiday break for the team, without telling the team or his staff prior to the game, was the exact right moment to step down.

Sounds legit.

How about - built a great team, and last chance for a title slipped out of his grasp last year. Too old to try to build another team of that quality and likely have his heart broken again, anyway.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Or maybe if you dress down a reporter and it's kind of rude, even though everyone agrees he deserved it in the first place

THAT is what stands out to you as the defining element of JC's career? Three people on the planet give a crap about that any more. Krayeske, his mother, and evidently, you.

Reaction Score
Seemed like losing to Duke last year really knocked the wind out of his sails. He was not going to assemble another team like that. Wish he could've pulled it off.

Reaction Score
That press conference seeemed odd. He barely acknowledged Alvarez and said if you have questios for "them" go ahead and ask. This doesn't seem like a happy decision to me.
Maybe he and Alvarez don't have a great relationship, hard to know. Maybe he is pulling a JC. Ryan has been coaching too long to have a bad early start be the reason especially 1 year removed from a final 4. The more I think about the more I think he is pulling a JC.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
THAT is what stands out to you as the defining element of JC's career? Three people on the planet give a crap about that any more. Krayeske, his mother, and evidently, you.

You forgot Jeff Jacobs who will probably write a column about it and the Gomes press conference this week since there's nothing else going on. :D

Reaction Score
Totally bizarre. He hasn't even told everyone on the staff?? Really? Why Not? WTF!

That was the oddest part of an already odd story. "I have had a chance to tell everyone on my staff". Did he decide to retire during a third quarter commercial stoppage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom