OT - Blending shakes and smoothies | The Boneyard

OT - Blending shakes and smoothies

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
anyone here does this... any special recipes?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
anyone here does this... any special recipes?

The one "trick" that works for me in the blender is that I crush the ice in the liquid before I add of the other ingrediants like fruit or oatmeal. When I put everything in at once I ended up with chunks (ice and fruit) no matter how long I let it rip.

My go-to smoothie I drink for breakfast during my commute is:

1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup instant oatmeal
6 ice cubes
1T yogurt
1T peanut butter
1T protien powder
1/2 banana

Fits perfectly into my UConn/DD travel mug I got a few years back.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
2 words: Ninja Blender

The only thing I ever bought because of a infomercial. It works great on most things but it's unbelievable for smoothie and frozen adult beverages. My tailgating margaritas are legendary.

I love fruit and will used any fruit, if frozen you wont need ice, yogurt, skim milk, bananas and sometimes semi sweet chocolate chips. After you make a couple, you'll easily figure out what you like.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I actually have been juicing. Much healthier than any of the smoothies (but not nearly as tasty!!)

You would need to get a juicer, but i big 10 oz glass consists (for me) of Kale, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber, and lots of apples to make it sweeter. It tends to taste "earthy", but with enough apples for sweetness, it tastes good enough. And the pulp left over goes to my dog every day for dinner. He LOVES it...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I actually have been juicing. Much healthier than any of the smoothies (but not nearly as tasty!!)

You would need to get a juicer, but i big 10 oz glass consists (for me) of Kale, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Beets, Spinach, Celery, Cucumber, and lots of apples to make it sweeter. It tends to taste "earthy", but with enough apples for sweetness, it tastes good enough. And the pulp left over goes to my dog every day for dinner. He LOVES it...

All those things in their whole state make for very healthy smoothies, much healthier than juicing........! :)

I throw kale, collard greens, chard and spinach in my green smoothie, plus apple, kiwi and a little bit of pear or plum (water or coconut water for the mix, sometimes crushed ice).

Is it amazingly, fantastically tasty? No. Is it good? Actually, yes.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

The only thing I ever bought because of a infomercial. It works great on most things but it's unbelievable for smoothie and frozen adult beverages. My tailgating margaritas are legendary.

I love fruit and will used any fruit, if frozen you wont need ice, yogurt, skim milk, bananas and sometimes semi sweet chocolate chips. After you make a couple, you'll easily figure out what you like.

I have a Vitamix but have heard some good things about the Ninja as well -

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The one "trick" that works for me in the blender is that I crush the ice in the liquid before I add of the other ingrediants like fruit or oatmeal. When I put everything in at once I ended up with chunks (ice and fruit) no matter how long I let it rip.

My go-to smoothie I drink for breakfast during my commute is:

1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup instant oatmeal
6 ice cubes
1T yogurt
1T peanut butter
1T protien powder
1/2 banana

Fits perfectly into my UConn/DD travel mug I got a few years back.
I did a peanut butter and nuts one recently... amazing

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I agree, it takes time to get it right

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The NutriBullet works very well for healthy smoothies. There is disagreement about juicing vs. blending. Juicing removes the fiber, but yields more concentrated nutrients. Nutribullet keeps everything.

Another school says anything that destroys the natural fiber of fruits and vegetables diminishes their nutrient value. I'd love to hear the three schools of thought argue it out.

In the meantime, whatever gets you to consume more fruits, greens, and other vegetables is great and healthy.

Reaction Score
one banana, five strawberries, half small container blueberries, half small container blackberries, one cup vanilla yourt(low fat), one 14 oz lean vanilla protein shake(GNC), and ice cubes to desired consistency(about eight).

Reaction Score
1 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (Fage or Chobani)
I cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup frozen fruit or fresh, if in season (I mix and match-- love frozen peaches)
A couple of ice cubes, optional
1 tablespoon vegetarian protein powder, not from whey-- optional (there's plenty of protein without it)

Blend and enjoy!

(And, If you're on WW, you can get his to 5 points, I believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom