OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry, not a St. Joe's guy....so no sour grapes here. I'm an Ansonia guy and I think NC is probably the best all-around team in the state. Just pointing out that it was a move. So what if St. Joe's scores again? There's no way in hell, they're scoring 35 points in 3-minutes to win that game. Hell, they barely had 21 in the first 45 minutes. It was 2nd and goal from the 6. Run the ball two more times. You take another minute plus off the clock. You either run it into the endzone with your backup QB under center, turn it over on downs, or kneel on it twice and make St. Joe's go 94 yards. Let them score on the JV's, so what? Of course, St. Joe's kept their starters in. Why wouldn't they? They were getting their asses kicked, and NC still had their starting QB under center. I'll give you an example of how it should be handled. Ansonia played Masuk a few weeks ago. Newsome scored with 7:00 left in the 3Q to make it 49-14. He never returned to the field. The entire starting offense never returned to the field. The starting defense exited for good with 3:00 remaining in the 3Q after turning Masuk over on downs at the Ansonia 26. Ansonia's JV's RAN the ball every snap covering 74-yards, culminating in a 1-yard TD run. Masuk's starting offense then drove 69-yards for a score on Ansonia's JV defense with 8:00 left in the 4Q, 56-21. Masuk's next drive took them inside the Ansonia 10 with 5:00 remaining, before turning it over on downs to the JV's. Ansonia's 4th-string RB broke a long run down to the Masuk 20. Ansonia ran 4 times and gave the ball back to Masuk. Masuk then drove to the Ansonia 5, and again turned it over with 4:00 remaining. Ansonia covered 30 yards, in the final 4:00 to run out the clock. Now before you go crazy, I know Masuk is not St. Joe's. The point is....well.... you should get the point.

I'll tell you another thing about how classy NC is. I have watched them twice now on MSGVarsity Live. I'm all for kids getting excited on a great play, but I can't stand seeing Marinelli's players scoring a TD and pretending to rip their shirt open or the throat slashing after a good hit or turnover. I've seen that b.s. in both games. Quite frankly, it's disrespectful and that starts and ends with the coaches. You can say what you want about Ansonia; the academics, their schedule, their league, etc. But, you will never see a kid celebrate in that fashion. Watch Newsome when he scores, he tosses the ball to the referee, hugs his linemen, and jogs off the field. There is no b.s. celebration. Respect the game and it will reward you.

There has always been a snobby air about the lower Fairfield County schools, going back to the 1940's when my dad played. He played for Ludlowe and back then Fairfield was a mostly blue collar town, and when they played Greenwich, New Canaan, or Staples, a win by Ludlowe over the "millionaires" was especially sweet. Ludlowe has sent several players to UCONN over the years. Back then, UCONN was an agricultural school, and yes there was a disdain by Greenwich and the rest to going to UCONN even with great Walt Dropo and his brothers tearing up the gridiron. Some of that snobbery remains even today, though much, much less since UCONN upgraded to D1, but that was only 10 years ago, so give it time and a new coach who can recruit and make friends down in lower Fairfield County and recruiting the top players in the FCIAC will go much easier. Also, nowadays UCONN is a much more highly rated academically than it was 20 years ago.

Reaction Score

Oops, brain fart. Mean't to say that OL kid from Fairfield Prep, Kabongo who went to Maryland and thumbed his nose at UCONN, I don't think the Prep coach liked Edsall. There was also another OL prospect from Staples that I think signed with Northwestern, Illinois or Indiana instead of UCONN and Edsall. Couldn't remember his name. Sorry Sean

Reaction Score
Hanratty was never offered by edsall. So I don't know how many of Marinellis kids turned their nose at uconn, since nobody else has played D1.
Yes, new Canaan would probably beat ansonia, but their kids don't play with the same class as them. Though I like Marinelli more than dellavecchia.

Reaction Score
Hanratty was never offered by edsall. So I don't know how many of Marinellis kids turned their nose at uconn, since nobody else has played D1.
Yes, new Canaan would probably beat ansonia, but their kids don't play with the same class as them. Though I like Marinelli more than dellavecchia.

Was talking about Staples, Greenwich and Prep….Kabongo of Prep, Sedlacek of Staples, Bisanzo of Greenwich was another one that FHCRE offered but got a "thanks but no thanks". Did Edsall ever recruit Meyers?

Reaction Score
Oops, brain fart. Mean't to say that OL kid from Fairfield Prep, Kabongo who went to Maryland and thumbed his nose at UCONN, I don't think the Prep coach liked Edsall. There was also another OL prospect from Staples that I think signed with Northwestern, Illinois or Indiana instead of UCONN and Edsall. Couldn't remember his name. Sorry Sean

Do you have a relative who is a retired Firefighter in CT?

Reaction Score
Bisanzo went Ivy I believe. Don't know about Meyers being recruited. He went Ivy an ended up playing lacrosse in college.

Reaction Score
Bisanzo went Ivy I believe. Don't know about Meyers being recruited. He went Ivy an ended up playing lacrosse in college.

Meyers was recruited for football by Urban Meyer at Florida, but decided on lacrosse. I was wondering if Edsall ever had chance with him, my guess is no.

Reaction Score
Meyers was recruited for football by Urban Meyer at Florida, but decided on lacrosse. I was wondering if Edsall ever had chance with him, my guess is no.

We recruited Meyers but no we never had a chance. The only school he considered for Football was UF. His father played at UF I believe. He ultimately chose the Ivy league. This is a problem with kids from Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Staples and other schools in FC. Long standing traditions of attending the Ivy league and other private institutions. I grew up in Fairfield County and most of the people I graduated with chose private universities. That is the culture in that area unlike upstate where many choose a state education. This is the major difference between CT and the rest of the country. I live in the midwest where kids dream of going to Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana etc. The schools are well respected because the best and brightest in their states choose to attend the state schools. UConn clearly brings in bright kids but inside of the state the school has a difficult culture to contend with. The good news is that I've found that people outside of New England believe UConn is a very strong school...and rightfully so. UConn just needs to keep improving. The school has some very strong programs but it will take some time for the boating population of FC to believe it.

Reaction Score
We recruited Meyers but no we never had a chance. The only school he considered for Football was UF. His father played at UF I believe. He ultimately chose the Ivy league. This is a problem with kids from Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien, Staples and other schools in FC. Long standing traditions of attending the Ivy league and other private institutions. I grew up in Fairfield County and most of the people I graduated with chose private universities. That is the culture in that area unlike upstate where many choose a state education. This is the major difference between CT and the rest of the country. I live in the midwest where kids dream of going to Ohio State, Michigan, Indiana etc. The schools are well respected because the best and brightest in their states choose to attend the state schools. UConn clearly brings in bright kids but inside of the state the school has a difficult culture to contend with. The good news is that I've found that people outside of New England believe UConn is a very strong school...and rightfully so. UConn just needs to keep improving. The school has some very strong programs but it will take some time for the boating population of FC to believe it.

It's happening. As mentioned before, UCONN has been the number-1 college destination for Greenwich High Srs. for the last three years. People in FF County understand value. Presently, UCONN provides the same/better value than the "publics" like Michigan, UNC, UVA, Colorado (Skiers), etc. that I and my Greenwich cohorts (who couldn't get an Ivy League sniff) used to attend.

Reaction Score

Right. NC is always a great team, but have no D1 talent. Hanratty was the only D1 guy they may have had in the last 15-20 years and he was set to go to ND since birth as a legacy. Martinelli has no negative feelings toward UConn, just has no kids to send there. In fact he was very friendly with Edsall with Edsall visting NC several times.

Reaction Score

Bisanzo went to Georgetown. Had one brother go to BC and another go to Colgate. His sister went to UConn. That's the Fairfield County demographic in a nutshell, 3 private schools and UConn.

Reaction Score
Screw the rankings. I can't figure them out. Southington was # 4 in both polls prior to the game against Hall another offensive juggernaut. The Knights at beaten Glastonbury on the Tomahawks home field earlier in the season. Hall beats Southington & the next week Glastonbury is now #4 & Southington gets booted out of the State Top-10 altogether. Since then the Knights have rolled. The rankings are wierd.

G'bury and the Knights are both LL. It'll work itself out in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
How's is the East Hartford Hornets doing this year?? I miss the days when EHHS/GJ Penny Thanksgiving Day games (If Penny was still open, think about them at the Rent...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom