OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why would they do that? Makes no sense @ all.

Maybe Warde wanted to show him some in state football talent? Marinelli was the HS coach that Nutt called last week. Is that possible "husky medic"?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Were Nutt & Warde together or did each just happen to be in attendance?

Reaction Score
Maybe Warde wanted to show him some in state football talent? Marinelli was the HS coach that Nutt called last week. Is that possible "husky medic"?

Anything is possible - maybe there were other coaches lurking in the shadows as well. Show me proof that Marinelli and not Albonizio was the coach Nutt supposedly talked to...

Reaction Score
Were Nutt & Warde together or did each just happen to be in attendance?

Not sure, but I can find out. Might take a day or two, but my guess is not. Anything is possible but my guess is Warde might have had his "scouting a prospect" hat on for TJ. I mean he still is the head coach. Would have been a slap in the face to TJ if Warde sat with Nutt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

While I will freely admit that there is far more talent in Ct (and New England as a whole) than most realize (especially those from more prominent recruiting areas), there is nowhere near enough to build a roster, merely add some nice (on occasion very nice) pieces to an existing roster. If I were a onetime successful, major conference coach looking at UConn I would be more concerned about what recruiting hotbeds are close enough where if I were to establish a foothold I could build the foundation of a legitimate roster.

Reaction Score
With Nutt on tv (I would hope that if he had his agent write into his contract he could leave gor a coaching job at any time with zero penalty/buy out) and looking to get back into coaching...if he was Warde's choice why not just hire him now. We are down 2 coaches, and he would be able to roll his sleeves up jump right in, go to work on fixing this thing.

Reaction Score
Marinelli is fair, he knows what kind of a team he has this year, one of the best state teams in years. If you check every box score this year, NC is up in almost every game by a ton and is unscored upon going into halftime. At that point Marinelli puts in a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers, even against Hand in the 1st game of the season, the Rams were up 36-0 at the half, Marinelli put in the subs so Hand could score some points (the final was 50-21). I have several articles already detailing how the starters sit in the 2nd half, that's how good they are. I also watched the game last night, and saw no running up of the score. That one score NC had late in the 4th quarter was a gift from St Joes. So what does he do? Tell his 2nd stringers to take a knee? The St Joes starters were just worn down by late in the 3rd and 4th quarters and let the NC 2nd stringers burn them on some big gains. St Joes is a great team, they were the only team so far this year that scored anything against NC's defensive starters in the 1st half. BTW heard 3rd hand that Warde and Nutt were at the game last night, so he might be our next coach. Links below….

http://www.gametimect.com/msgs-mike-quick-new-canaan-beat-ansonia-three-four-touchdowns/

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/...oint-rule-mars-second-half-of-easy-684545.php
NC was up 55-21 with 3:14 left in the game. They ran the ball all the way down to the 6 yard line. No need to throw a TD there. They could have handed it off and scored or turned the ball over on downs. St. Joe's wasn't coming back. Marinelli showed no class there. Why was Cascione, the starting QB, still in at that point? That last score was for poll points and padded stats. I have no doubt that was Marinelli trying to make a statement. Fortunately, Cascione didn't get hurt. Let's not forget Marinelli is the ONLY reason the CIAC still uses that stupid 50-point rule. Great coach, but a pompous arshole.

Reaction Score
NC was up 55-21 with 3:14 left in the game. They ran the ball all the way down to the 6 yard line. No need to throw a TD there. They could have handed it off and scored or turned the ball over on downs. St. Joe's wasn't coming back. Marinelli showed no class there. Why was Cascione, the starting QB, still in at that point? That last score was for poll points and padded stats. I have no doubt that was Marinelli trying to make a statement. Fortunately, Cascione didn't get hurt. Let's not forget Marinelli is the ONLY reason the CIAC still uses that stupid 50-point rule. Great coach, but a pompous arshole.
I was REALLY looking forward to Cochran getting Harding gong...and taking them into New Canaan and putting a ROYAL thumping on a Marinelli coached team. Same with Staples. But now..who knows. Also make no mistake about this...Marinelli is a P guy, just like Fillapone and Petroccio. His firmer goss was the one who wrote that letter to SPB that was published in his blog.

Reaction Score
Yes, they RAN the ball in one big run, which was a gift from St Joes, who btw also still had ALL their starters on the field (while NC did not) including Vazzano, who was still trying to score a TD as time ran out. WHY???? What's Marinelli supposed to do, be nice and let Dellavechia's 1st stringers score an extra 20 points in the 4th quarter? Go pound sand. Marinelli kept Cascione in because he didn't want any dumb turn overs and wanted someone in there who knew how to milk the clock. Marinelli has taken his starters out at halftime every game this year, but he keeps his QB in to run the clock out and still stay under the 50 point rule. How did your sour grapes taste? Not good? Tough sh.....t

Reaction Score
Yes, they RAN the ball in one big run, which was a gift from St Joes, who btw also still had ALL their starters on the field (while NC did not) including Vazzano, who was still trying to score a TD as time ran out. WHY???? What's Marinelli supposed to do, be nice and let Dellavechia's 1st stringers score an extra 20 points in the 4th quarter? Go pound sand. Marinelli kept Cascione in because he didn't want any dumb turn overs and wanted someone in there who knew how to milk the clock. Marinelli has taken his starters out at halftime every game this year, but he keeps his QB in to run the clock out and still stay under the 50 point rule. How did your sour grapes taste? Not good? Tough sh.....t
Rob I have a question for you regarding Marinelli since you are a UCONN fan on this board who seems to also be a New Canaan FB fan. Is perception wrong that Marinelli would steer his kids away from going to UCONN any chance he gets..especailly now that Pasqualoni and DeLeone are gone?

Reaction Score
Clearly and he made sure the kids knew it was too! It is what it is...

http://www.gametimect.com/2-new-canaan-routs-3-st-joseph-statement-game/

"This is definitely statement game,” said linebacker Cole Harris,"
Sounded like sour grapes from the St Joes coach to me. His vaunted St Joes just had their ass kicked and all he can say is "They're not bad"??? They've got 3 division one prospects on their defensive line and all he can say is "they're not bad"? What an .

One well known reporter stated the other day that if the FCIAC fielded a team of all-stars they would lose to the Rams, and another FCIAC coach said New Canaan could beat WestConn, he thought they were that good.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob I'm going to take your ignoring my question about Marinelli and UCONN football as a yes answer to it. Not very surprising though as Marinelli has NEVER been a friend of UCONN or UCONN football during his coaching career at New Canaan.

Reaction Score
Marinelli is fair, he knows what kind of a team he has this year, one of the best state teams in years. If you check every box score this year, NC is up in almost every game by a ton and is unscored upon going into halftime. At that point Marinelli puts in a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers, even against Hand in the 1st game of the season, the Rams were up 36-0 at the half, Marinelli put in the subs so Hand could score some points (the final was 50-21). I have several articles already detailing how the starters sit in the 2nd half, that's how good they are. I also watched the game last night, and saw no running up of the score. That one score NC had late in the 4th quarter was a gift from St Joes. So what does he do? Tell his 2nd stringers to take a knee? The St Joes starters were just worn down by late in the 3rd and 4th quarters and let the NC 2nd stringers burn them on some big gains. St Joes is a great team, they were the only team so far this year that scored anything against NC's defensive starters in the 1st half. BTW heard 3rd hand that Warde and Nutt were at the game last night, so he might be our next coach. Links below….

http://www.gametimect.com/msgs-mike-quick-new-canaan-beat-ansonia-three-four-touchdowns/

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/...oint-rule-mars-second-half-of-easy-684545.php

I don't care if they did rub it in, I went to Trumbull HS when St. Joe's refused to play us in any sport. I was just wondering if there was any animosity between the two schools.

Reaction Score
Huskyrob I'm going to take your ignoring my question about Marinelli and UCONN football as a yes answer to it. Not very surprising though as Marinelli has NEVER been a friend of UCONN or UCONN football during his coaching career at New Canaan.
Not ignoring you fellow UCONN fan, will get back to you in a while. Helping the wife set up a birthday party.

Reaction Score
Rob I have a question for you regarding Marinelli since you are a UCONN fan on this board who seems to also be a New Canaan FB fan. Is perception wrong that Marinelli would steer his kids away from going to UCONN any chance he gets..especailly now that Pasqualoni and DeLeone are gone?
I give credit where credit is due. That being said, I am a New Canaan fan but only out of respect since I played against Peter Demmerle (recently passed away from ALS), Kurt Horton, and company many years ago and have grown to respect the great tradition that NC has had over the years. I have also seen the negative bias that the rest of the state has had over the years towards NC's success, I mean give some credit where credit is due. Grew up in Fairfield, played for Warde, my dad also grew up in Fairfield, was captain of the Ludlowe 1947 team, so got dragged to all the Ludlowe games prior to HS.

Where did you hear that Marinelli was a PP guy? If he is this is the first I've heard of it. Enlighten me.

Reaction Score
I give credit where credit is due. That being said, I am a New Canaan fan but only out of respect since I played against Peter Demmerle (recently passed away from ALS), Kurt Horton, and company many years ago and have grown to respect the great tradition that NC has had over the years. I have also seen the negative bias that the rest of the state has had over the years towards NC's success, I mean give some credit where credit is due. Grew up in Fairfield, played for Warde, my dad also grew up in Fairfield, was captain of the Ludlowe 1947 team, so got dragged to all the Ludlowe games prior to HS.

Where did you hear that Marinelli was a PP guy? If he is this is the first I've heard of it. Enlighten me.
I saw his quotes in the piece that Conner wrote back when Edsall called out the CT HS coaches and the piece SPB did after P was fired..along with those other clowns Petroccio and Fillapone (both also VERY good coaches but both also not fans of UCONN football). There was also a letter published in The CT Post HS football blog by former New Canaan AD and P/GDL buddy Vinny Iovino. Lou's quotes seemed to be made by a man who was NOT a fan of UCONN football. Could be an assumption on my part but I can definitely tell you that As of a few years ago UCONN was NOT thought very highly of as a school by Southern Fairfield County towns like Darien and New Canaan.

Reaction Score
I saw his quotes in the piece that Conner wrote back when Edsall called out the CT HS coaches and the piece SPB did after P was fired..along with those other clowns Petroccio and Fillapone (both also VERY good coaches but both also not fans of UCONN football). There was also a letter published in The CT Post HS football blog by former New Canaan AD and P/GDL buddy Vinny Iovino. Lou's quotes seemed to be made by a man who was NOT a fan of UCONN football. Could be an assumption on my part but I can definitely tell you that As of a few years ago UCONN was NOT thought very highly of as a school by Southern Fairfield County towns like Darien and New Canaan.
First of all, Edsall was a lousy recruiter period, still is. Good game coach and a great teacher, but recruiting (so important) is not his strong point. Remember also that UCONN has only been D1 for a few years now and if they had hired a better recruiter than Edsall or PP, maybe the Sean Mulchahy's and other big time prospects would have given us a look. As far as Marinelli and New Canaan go, unfortunately I suppose there might be a slight bias by LM towards UCONN but only because of Storrs being upstate in the same areas that are biased towards Fairfield County football and New Canaan in particular.

Reaction Score
First of all, Edsall was a lousy recruiter period, still is. Good game coach and a great teacher, but recruiting (so important) is not his strong point. Remember also that UCONN has only been D1 for a few years now and if they had hired a better recruiter than Edsall or PP, maybe the Sean Mulchahy's and other big time prospects would have given us a look. As far as Marinelli and New Canaan go, unfortunately I suppose there might be a slight bias by LM towards UCONN but only because of Storrs being upstate in the same areas that are biased towards Fairfield County football and New Canaan in particular.
Having family in the Darien/New Canaan area I can tell you first hand that UCONN was looked at as a sub-par place to go to school. I don't know about now with the recent improvements but as of 3 yrs ago VERY much so. As far as that part of the state amd football...the only school that has played football for as long as Marinelli has been at New Canaan in the immediate Storrs area are Rockville and Windham..E.O. Smith Tolland and Coventry are relatively new programs started in the last 20 yrs. Marinelli may be a good coach...but you know if Cochran put a beating on him like he does to other FCIAC programs he would pitch a HUGE bitch! But outside of Hanratty and the kid ue had who walked on at UGA he seems to consistantly put kids in Ivy to D3 schools.

Reaction Score
Sorry, not a St. Joe's guy....so no sour grapes here. I'm an Ansonia guy and I think NC is probably the best all-around team in the state. Just pointing out that it was a move. So what if St. Joe's scores again? There's no way in hell, they're scoring 35 points in 3-minutes to win that game. Hell, they barely had 21 in the first 45 minutes. It was 2nd and goal from the 6. Run the ball two more times. You take another minute plus off the clock. You either run it into the endzone with your backup QB under center, turn it over on downs, or kneel on it twice and make St. Joe's go 94 yards. Let them score on the JV's, so what? Of course, St. Joe's kept their starters in. Why wouldn't they? They were getting their asses kicked, and NC still had their starting QB under center. I'll give you an example of how it should be handled. Ansonia played Masuk a few weeks ago. Newsome scored with 7:00 left in the 3Q to make it 49-14. He never returned to the field. The entire starting offense never returned to the field. The starting defense exited for good with 3:00 remaining in the 3Q after turning Masuk over on downs at the Ansonia 26. Ansonia's JV's RAN the ball every snap covering 74-yards, culminating in a 1-yard TD run. Masuk's starting offense then drove 69-yards for a score on Ansonia's JV defense with 8:00 left in the 4Q, 56-21. Masuk's next drive took them inside the Ansonia 10 with 5:00 remaining, before turning it over on downs to the JV's. Ansonia's 4th-string RB broke a long run down to the Masuk 20. Ansonia ran 4 times and gave the ball back to Masuk. Masuk then drove to the Ansonia 5, and again turned it over with 4:00 remaining. Ansonia covered 30 yards, in the final 4:00 to run out the clock. Now before you go crazy, I know Masuk is not St. Joe's. The point is....well.... you should get the point.

I'll tell you another thing about how classy NC is. I have watched them twice now on MSGVarsity Live. I'm all for kids getting excited on a great play, but I can't stand seeing Marinelli's players scoring a TD and pretending to rip their shirt open or the throat slashing after a good hit or turnover. I've seen that b.s. in both games. Quite frankly, it's disrespectful and that starts and ends with the coaches. You can say what you want about Ansonia; the academics, their schedule, their league, etc. But, you will never see a kid celebrate in that fashion. Watch Newsome when he scores, he tosses the ball to the referee, hugs his linemen, and jogs off the field. There is no b.s. celebration. Respect the game and it will reward you.

Reaction Score
First of all, Edsall was a lousy recruiter period, still is. Good game coach and a great teacher, but recruiting (so important) is not his strong point. Remember also that UCONN has only been D1 for a few years now and if they had hired a better recruiter than Edsall or PP, maybe the Sean Mulchahy's and other big time prospects would have given us a look.
Huh?
+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member