OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours | The Boneyard

OT: Big CT High School game in a few hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New Canaan-St Josephs

New Canaan is ranked #2 in the state behind Ansonia, although a lot of people think the Rams would beat Ansonia.

St Joes is ranked #3

I've seen New Canaan play and I think they are the best team the Rams have fielded since the record setting 1969-1971 New Canaan teams that had Kurt Horton and Pete Demmerlee, who both went on to play for Ara Parseghian at ND. Certainly the best team Lou Marinelli ever had.

I think they will beat St Joes, but by how much?

Houston Nutt at the game? LOL!

Reaction Score
Anyone know if this game will be streamed on line in any way?

Reaction Score
Other games of note tonight - Xavier at Hand, and Farmington (7-0) at Middletown (7-0)

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Easy for Quick to say NC would romp since they will never meet this year and he can't be proven wrong.

Common opponent - Ansonia beat Danbury by slightly larger margin than NC. People underestimate Ansonia because of size of school. Mistake.

I hear ya, but I also saw NC play twice this year and as I said above they are the best NC team since the great 1969-1970 NC teams that went 35-0. Are they as good as the 1969-70 teams? No, that was one of the best teams in state history, but they are not that far away. Gotta go with Quick on this one, New Canaan dismantled Staples something like 45-7 last week, and this is the same Staples team that almost beat Xavier earlier in the season when Xavier was ranked #1. Plus Ansonia does not play Danbury this year so not sure what you are referring to. New Canaan did play Danbury and was winning 49-0 at halftime, Marinelli put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers 2nd half. Final was 49-7

BTW I think Lou Marinelli was the CT high school coach that Houston Nutt called about football talent in the state.

Reaction Score
I hear ya, but I also saw NC play twice this year and as I said above they are the best NC team since the great 1969-1970 NC teams that went 35-0. Are they as good as the 1969-70 teams? No, that was one of the best teams in state history, but they are not that far away. Gotta go with Quick on this one, New Canaan dismantled Staples something like 45-7 last week, and this is the same Staples team that almost beat Xavier earlier in the season when Xavier was ranked #1. Plus Ansonia does not play Danbury this year so not sure what you are referring to. New Canaan did play Danbury and was winning 49-0 at halftime, Marinelli put in the 2nd and 3rd stringers 2nd half. Final was 49-7

Crossed wire fliiping back and forth. My bad - it was Torrington I was thinking about... not Danbury. No common opponent.

Unfortunately - we'll never know who would prevail on the field. People can whack Ansonia year after year for playing in the NVL but they consistently put out quality players. (FWI - I'm not a Valley guy)

Reaction Score
My wife's nephew played on the great St Joseph's teams in the early 90's
My younger sister went to St Joes in the 70's
Her son played on their last state Championship team 4 years ago.
So beat NC

Reaction Score
My wife's nephew played on the great St Joseph's teams in the early 90's
My younger sister went to St Joes in the 70's
Her son played on their last state Championship team 4 years ago.
So beat NC
Sorry to disappoint you...New Canaan leads 35-14 going into halftime.

Reaction Score
Screw the rankings. I can't figure them out. Southington was # 4 in both polls prior to the game against Hall another offensive juggernaut. The Knights at beaten Glastonbury on the Tomahawks home field earlier in the season. Hall beats Southington & the next week Glastonbury is now #4 & Southington gets booted out of the State Top-10 altogether. Since then the Knights have rolled. The rankings are wierd.

Reaction Score
Per coachcap; "Screw the rankings. I can't figure them out. Southington was # 4 in both polls prior to the game against Hall another offensive juggernaut. The Knights at beaten Glastonbury on the Tomahawks home field earlier in the season. Hall beats Southington & the next week Glastonbury is now #4 & Southington gets booted out of the State Top-10 altogether. Since then the Knights have rolled. The rankings are wierd."
Another "ranking" story. Greenwich scheduled St. Johns Prep (3 games) and BC High (1 game) late in Mike Ornato's run. Greenwich won 3 of the 4 games; twice rolling up big scores. All three wins came at a time when the opponent was ranked in "USA Today's" national "top twenty." In the following week's ranking (I used to travel a bunch and a free"USA Today" was always outside my door in the AM) there was no mention of Greenwich or the opponent. Not even in the "sectional rankings." New England was gone!

Reaction Score
Rob, any idea why NC was running up the score at the end?

Marinelli is fair, he knows what kind of a team he has this year, one of the best state teams in years. If you check every box score this year, NC is up in almost every game by a ton and is unscored upon going into halftime. At that point Marinelli puts in a lot of 2nd and 3rd stringers, even against Hand in the 1st game of the season, the Rams were up 36-0 at the half, Marinelli put in the subs so Hand could score some points (the final was 50-21). I have several articles already detailing how the starters sit in the 2nd half, that's how good they are. I also watched the game last night, and saw no running up of the score. That one score NC had late in the 4th quarter was a gift from St Joes. So what does he do? Tell his 2nd stringers to take a knee? The St Joes starters were just worn down by late in the 3rd and 4th quarters and let the NC 2nd stringers burn them on some big gains. St Joes is a great team, they were the only team so far this year that scored anything against NC's defensive starters in the 1st half. BTW heard 3rd hand that Warde and Nutt were at the game last night, so he might be our next coach. Links below….

http://www.gametimect.com/msgs-mike-quick-new-canaan-beat-ansonia-three-four-touchdowns/

http://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/...oint-rule-mars-second-half-of-easy-684545.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom