OT: Best Vending Machine Snack | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best Vending Machine Snack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that ice cream sandwich sponsored by google or something?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Is that ice cream sandwich sponsored by google or something?
It's a San Francisco tradition since 1928 (or so goes the marketing) so they pre-date Google. But yes, Google buys them for their people in Chelsea, and apparently gets branding on the wrapper. You don't easily find them beyond California's border.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Little Betty's chocolate covered peanut butter wafer bars
Also called Nutty Bars
Addictive

A Snickers is the second choice.
I slap my mother if her fridge is void of these Nutty Bars. Godly.

As for the vending machine...I just go for the Twizzlers or a Whachamacallit

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Waiting for @8893 's five-paragraph analysis of the best quick snacks.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@CallMeBruce As someone who once collected cans around north on spring weekend to earn half a rack of keystone light, this sounds like you hit the lottery. I would have taken that change straight to the packy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
One thing we can all agree upon is that Greek Capp Fries can't hold a candle to Italian Capp Fries.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Somewhat related, but those of you who went to UConn in the recent-ish past should get a kick out of this. My first two years, I lived in Alsop (The International Dorm!), and because I was a fatty fatty fat fat, I would go down to the vending machine in the study lounge to get candy pretty regularly. Because someone is deranged, a Snickers bar was $1.10. However, a Twix was only $.75, so if I only had a single, that's what I'd go with. That was the case on this fateful day, so I went down I put my dollar in, and I selected the Twix bar. But then something weird happened. Right as I hit the button for the Twix, it rejected my dollar, but still delivered the Twix.

Bonus, I thought. Free candy. But that's not where our story ends.

I looked at the little screen, and it said "Credit: $50.00." Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I thought I knew what that meant. So my first instinct (remember: fatty fatty fat fat) was to now try for the Snickers. Denied. It said to use exact change. My plans were foiled, and there was nothing left for me to do. On a lark, I hit the coin return button.

Holy crap.

The machine immediately went insane, and started spitting out money. Initially, it was those gold dollar coins, and when it ran out of those, it was quarters, then dimes, and finally nickels. When it ran out of nickels, I could still hear the mechanism spinning in there, trying to dump more money on the floor. Because I was 19 and had no morals, I began stuffing coins in my pocket as fast as I could, and then I ran the hell out of there, $72 richer (which I know is weird, since it said $50 credit, but I don't know what to tell you about that).

Anyway, that paid for candy snacks for the rest of the semester, which I suppose was a fitting punishment.

Had a kid in college who was caught plugging the coin return on a couple dozen machines with cotton. He'd make his rounds once a day to collect his loot.

He said he had been making $100/day until caught.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Sometimes you forget to bring food, sometimes going out to lunch gets canx'd at the last minute. Sometimes you're just hungry. Sometimes you're loaded and have loose change.

And for all of those occasions we have vending machines.

Non-refrigerated is the Big Texan cinnamon bun.
Refrigerated is Pepperoni Hot Pocket or salted caramel Klondike bar.

Cinnamon buns are awesome, and a pretty good deal for the price.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I got nuthin'. My vending machine visits are rare and my selections are pretty random and common.

If pressed I'd cop to Cheetos if I want savory; Kit Kats for sweet; Snickers for in between; and Swedish Fish for when I'm really feeling crazy.

Bottled water purchased at 1-3 a.m. from the vending machines in the New Haven train station probably outpaces all of then combined by 3 to 1.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Bottled water purchased at 1-3 a.m. from the vending machines in the New Haven train station probably outpaces all of then combined by 3 to 1.
Whoa...Slow down.;)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Little Debbie's

Little Debbie's had a vanilla cake thing that was a little bigger than a deck of cards, but weighed close to a pound. Those little vanilla things are the reason I am now diabetic.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
beervending.jpg

Beer is a snack in some parts of Europe.

I forgot to take a photo of the vending machine the blonde came from. But she was only 50 euros.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Somewhat related, but those of you who went to UConn in the recent-ish past should get a kick out of this. My first two years, I lived in Alsop (The International Dorm!), and because I was a fatty fatty fat fat, I would go down to the vending machine in the study lounge to get candy pretty regularly. Because someone is deranged, a Snickers bar was $1.10. However, a Twix was only $.75, so if I only had a single, that's what I'd go with. That was the case on this fateful day, so I went down I put my dollar in, and I selected the Twix bar. But then something weird happened. Right as I hit the button for the Twix, it rejected my dollar, but still delivered the Twix.

Bonus, I thought. Free candy. But that's not where our story ends.

I looked at the little screen, and it said "Credit: $50.00." Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I thought I knew what that meant. So my first instinct (remember: fatty fatty fat fat) was to now try for the Snickers. Denied. It said to use exact change. My plans were foiled, and there was nothing left for me to do. On a lark, I hit the coin return button.

Holy crap.

The machine immediately went insane, and started spitting out money. Initially, it was those gold dollar coins, and when it ran out of those, it was quarters, then dimes, and finally nickels. When it ran out of nickels, I could still hear the mechanism spinning in there, trying to dump more money on the floor. Because I was 19 and had no morals, I began stuffing coins in my pocket as fast as I could, and then I ran the hell out of there, $72 richer (which I know is weird, since it said $50 credit, but I don't know what to tell you about that).

Anyway, that paid for candy snacks for the rest of the semester, which I suppose was a fitting punishment.

You hit the slots!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Swiss creme sandwich cookies

On another note, I never tried a Bar None candy bar. The whole time they existed I kept telling myself I'd get one to try it out and by the time I finally was going to do it, they were discontinued. Did anyone ever try one? What was in them and how were they?

Reaction Score
Little Debbie's
Of course , I haven't used a vending machine much since I retired , in 2007,
Actually it was 1999 the year I lived in KY. That I was indroduced to these gems
I'm not sure if Little Debby products were Sold in CT. At that time.
I was working 13 hour days ,so the vending machine was a must , the only trouble was I was on an expense account ,and vending machines don't give receipts. /s
When I was given that assignment our. GM called me in his office and Explained that I would be required to spend the majority of the next year away from home.
My only comment was "I don't know how my wife's going to take this"
He
replied "Do you have direct deposit?"
I answered "yes of course"
He came back with " trust me she won't mind at all"
He was a wise man , may he Rest in Peace

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, we have a few vending machines in break rooms/lounges for guests. The staff self-funds a snack bar out of one of the break rooms. All profits go to the end of year Christmas party so it gets supported heavily.

Nutty Buddy's get a huge boost for the simple reason that the Nutty Buddy's and Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme's are the only two snacks in the cabinets that cost a quarter. Most of the cheese/cracker combos and traditional candy bars are 75 cents. So, you can go in there and grab three Nutty Buddy's or one Snicker's or M&M Peanuts. Easy choice when you just want something in the stomach.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Going on a bit of tangent, we have good Samaritans who will occasionally spring for a couple dozen donuts and put them in the coffee break room.

There are two local joints and one Dunkin Donuts.

When we see donuts in the break room first thing in the morning we flip the lids open and start taking bets about which donuts will make it to 2pm. Without fail, coconut is always the last one to be eaten. Other ones to make it past lunch include anything with pink icing and the plain cake donut.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Going on a bit of tangent, we have good Samaritans who will occasionally spring for a couple dozen donuts and put them in the coffee break room.

There are two local joints and one Dunkin Donuts.

When we see donuts in the break room first thing in the morning we flip the lids open and start taking bets about which donuts will make it to 2pm. Without fail, coconut is always the last one to be eaten. Other ones to make it past lunch include anything with pink icing and the plain cake donut.

My most hated doughnut has always been Boston cream. I love just about any other kind but I couldn't eat a Boston cream doughnut if my life depended on it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My most hated doughnut has always been Boston cream. I love just about any other kind but I couldn't eat a Boston cream doughnut if my life depended on it.

Wow! I hope you are never in that situation. It would be such a waste.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Where are Little Debbie's in vending machines? Granted I am not an officianado of said machines. bSnickers and then Doritos ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom