OT: Best multi-sport male athlete ever? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best multi-sport male athlete ever?

Reaction Score
Wilt Chamberlain is in the Basketball Hall of Fame, and the Volleyball Hall of Fame. So, name another athlete in two different HOF for two different professional sports.

Wilt is in the Volleyball Hall of Fame for his off-court contributions to the sport, not for his on-court ones, which were insignificant. Although he was a super-extraordinary athlete who almost certainly could have been great at multiple sports, basketball is the only one in which he actually produced meaningful accomplishments in national or international competitions.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wilt Chamberlain is in the Basketball Hall of Fame, and the Volleyball Hall of Fame. So, name another athlete in two different HOF for two different professional sports.

Name another athlete who so dominated his sport, several rules changes were made, just because of him:

Rule changes
Chamberlain's impact on the game is also reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes in the NBA, including widening the lane to try to keep him farther away from the hoop, instituting offensive goaltending and revising rules governing inbounding the ball and shooting free throws (such as making it against the rules to inbound the ball over the backboard).[3][143] Chamberlain, who reportedly had a 50-inch vertical leap,[144] was physically capable of converting foul shots via a slam dunk without a running start (beginning his movement at the top of the key).[145] When his dunks practically undermined the difficulty of a foul shot, both the NCAA[146] and the NBA banned his modus operandi.[3][114]

He also put up some great times and distances in track and field while at Kansas.
(I'm in agreement with you on hoops and volleyball...just adding track and field. I've got a post from yesterday on Wilt the Stilt.:cool: )

Reaction Score
He also put up some great times and distances in track and field while at Kansas.
(I'm in agreement with you on hoops and volleyball...just adding track and field. I've got a post from yesterday on Wilt the Stilt.:cool: )

I know! Your post was great: I "liked" it at the time. The track and field stuff is why I chose my words carefully in saying that only in basketball did he "produce meaningful accomplishments in national or international competitions" -- which I do think is the primary measure of success in a sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jim brown is considered the best football and Lacrosse player ever. Ainge was a solid nba player not a hall of famer, and nothing of a mlb player. I believe Scott Burrell was all state quarterback and he was the 1st athlete ever to be a 1st round pick in both baseball and the NBA. Great athlete. Also Bobby Valentine wss all state in 3 sports.

Yup! Jim brown

Reaction Score
Coincidentally, during yesterday's Yankees game, the trivia question was something like:

"What Toronto Blue Jay player from 1981 was also an All-Star, two-time champion, and a general manager?"

A trick question that was answered here first! (SVCBeercats, you work for YES or what?!)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'd have to vote:

1) Bo Jackson
2) Jim Thorpe
3) Jackie Robinson

Bo Jackson was a phenomenal football AND baseball player. As someone said earlier, if his pro career hadn't been cut short, this would have been a short discussion.

Reaction Score
I'd have to vote:

1) Bo Jackson
2) Jim Thorpe
3) Jackie Robinson

Bo Jackson was a phenomenal football AND baseball player. As someone said earlier, if his pro career hadn't been cut short, this would have been a short discussion.

Bo was awesome and definitely belongs in the discussion, but there are no easy answers here. Although Bo was a superstar football player in college, his stats in pro football and pro baseball were unspectacular (albeit solid) -- and that's before he got injured. He did have a couple of strong years in MLB, as well as strong per-carry numbers in the NFL; and it's amazing that he was able to play both pro sports well. But his overall pro contributions were certainly not those of a star in either sport. Deion Sanders had a much, much better pro football career than Bo. Bo was better than Deion at baseball, though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Although I would go with Bo as my number one choice, wanted to add one of my favorite players from my youth, Bob Gibson. A MLB Hall of Famer, probably in the top 5-10 pitchers of all time. Played Div 1 Basketball at Creighton and then played a year with the Harlem Globetrotters. (actually was at Creighton on a basketball scholarship). On top of that was a Golden Gloves boxer.

Reaction Score
Clearly Jim Brown. He was the best ever in two sports and played very well at the major college level in two more.

Reaction Score
Clearly Jim Brown. He was the best ever in two sports and played very well at the major college level in two more.

A good case can be made for Brown. It really comes down to how lacrosse gets valued. If you treat it like the major sports, that helps him a ton. If you treat it very differently (on the ground that its relative lack of media attention means that fewer great athletes choose to play it as compared with football, baseball, or basketball), then that cuts the other way when comparing him with people like Bo and Deion.

Brown was one of the best football players ever, though it's worth noting that he certainly has a lot of competition for the rank of #1 (e.g., Jerry Rice and a bunch of quarterbacks). He was better at his top sport than were the other major contenders for best multi-sport athlete -- much better, in some cases.

As for lacrosse, Brown may have been the best player in the nation in his senior year of college. That's a very far cry from "best ever" status, in my view. To be sure, lots of people throw that term around in reference to his lacrosse days; but as great as he was that year, his overall achievements in the sport don't match such lofty statements. This happens a lot with elite multi-sport competitors. Often, people say how amazing they were at their second-best sport, but the numbers tell a somewhat less ecstatic story. Don't get me wrong: Brown was a GREAT lacrosse player. Not being the best ever is obviously no knock on him whatsoever.

I think a fair assessment of his achievements would be something like the following. He was one of the greatest players ever in a major sport (football), probably the best player in the nation during his senior year of college in another sport (lacrosse), and a quality college athlete in track and basketball. How that stacks up to Thorpe, Jackson, Sanders, et al. is a topic on which reasonable minds can differ.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Seems to me some Boneyarder mentioned the Old Coach was in the Water Skiing and Snow Skiing Halls of Fame. If anyone really remembers this correctly, please speak up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'd have to vote:

1) Bo Jackson
2) Jim Thorpe
3) Jackie Robinson

Don't forget all the sports that Nike caught him doing

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Asked and answered!
Duke Kahanamoku – Surfing Hall of Fame, Swimming Hall of Fame, and U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame

Jim Thorpe - Pro Football Hall of Fame and United States Olympic Hall of Fame
Jim Brown - Pro Football Hall of Fame and National Lacrosse Hall of Fame
Bob Hayes - Pro Football Hall of Fame and United States Olympic Hall of Fame
Babe Didrikson Zaharias - World Golf Hall of Fame and United States Olympic Hall of Fame
Walter Ray Williams Jr. – Pro Bowling Hall of Fame and World Horseshoe Throwing Hall of Fame
Cumberland Posey –Baseball Hall of Fame and Basketball Hall of Fame
Cesare Rubini –Basketball Hall of Fame and International Swimming Hall of Fame

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He was quite accomplished.

I should say so!!! And these are just for water skiing!!!

Warren Witherell can claim more firsts than any other water skier in the history of the sport.

He was the first to jump 100 feet - at the Nationals in 1954. He was the first to use the double wake cut in the Nationals - that same one, as a desperation tactic on borrowed jumpers, after his hid been stolen the night before. He was the first trick skier to complete both passes on a single ski - to win the event at the '55 Nationals in Lakeland, Fla. He was the first, and possibly the only, slalom skier to run short line, six at 18 feet off, on a square back ski. He was the first to run a perfect six buoys at 36 feet off the line at 34 miles per hour in 1961, the last year before the men's maximum boat speed was raised to 36 m.p.h. He was the first, and may remain the only, skier to win national slalom championships over a span of 28 years. And the list could go on.

Witherell, who is headmaster of the Burke Mountain Academy in East Burke, VT, learned to water ski in 1939 at the age of four on Lake George in upstate New York. He entered his first tournament, the Eastern Regionals, in 1952 to begin a competitive career that is unique in the annals of the sport.

His lanky, six foot three frame and powerful upper body strength have him a natural edge on the slalom course before the advent of the tapered ski and the increased boat speed put more emphasis on finesse and precise timing. Witherell won national slalom titles in 1953, '54 and '55. (He was second in '52 to Mexico's Emilio Zamudio at a time when foreign skiers were permitted to ski in the U.S. Nationals.) He won slalom in the fist Masters Tournament in 1958. His personal records show that from 1953 until his retirement from active tournament skiing in 1968, Witherell was beaten in slalom only five times in more than 100 tournaments. Ten years later, he came back to ski in senior competition and in 1981, he won the Veterans National slalom title with a record run of four buoys with 38 feet off the line.

Witherell's first 100-footer in jumping did not get in the record book. The rule required a new record to exceed the old by at least two feet, so his leap in the Laconia, NH Nationals was scored as a 99-foot tie of the record. But little matter, because Dick Binette and Butch Rosenberg followed him with leaps of 102 and 103 feet, respectively, and Witherell raised the record again to 106 feet two weeks later in the New England Championships. All accomplished with the double wake cut which later campaigned to have outlawed because he considered it dangerous.

In tricks, Witherell was one of the pioneers in the use of toe turns, employing them in his 1953 Nationals victory at Long Beach, CA, and coupling them with a one-ski 540 off the ramp to win the world title later that year in Toronto.

But Warren Witherell has contributed more that just his skiing to the organized sport. During the critical development period of the 1950's he was active on the Rules, Rating, Judges and Tournament committees of the American Water Ski Association. And he has continued to use his ability to teach, write and serve as an articulate spokesman for the sport

Reaction Score
Bo Jackson, hands down! If he didn't get hurt he would have been a HOFer in 2 different sports!

Reaction Score
Just for the fun of it CT's own Joan Joyce (along with Babe Didrikson) are the greatest American multi sport female athletes.

But the best female athlete ever was probably Caitlyn Jenner. Hell she won the Olympic decathlon.

Reaction Score
Bo was (past tense only in the athletic sense) the most freakishly gifted athlete in this country’s history. We know, of course, about his football and baseball exploits. But his track and field accomplishments defy credible analysis... he was a decathlon champion whose 40 yd dash in the NFL combine has never been equalled. The avascular necrosis of his left femoral condyle will go down as the most expensive sports injury of all time. Many of the names mentioned in this thread were truly extraordinary...but Bo?...one of a kind!

Reaction Score
If [Bo Jackson] didn't get hurt he would have been a HOFer in 2 different sports!

Not even close.

Bo never scored more than 6 touchdowns in a season in the NFL, and there was only one season in which he accounted for even 800 yards from scrimmage.

In baseball, his greatest achievement was once finishing 10th in the AL MVP voting -- a feat from which he regressed the next year, which was all before his injury. He had low on-base percentages, missed dozens of games every year, and played a non-vital defensive position (i.e., not catcher, shortstop, second base, or center field). His best attribute was slugging, but only once did he crack the AL's top 10 in slugging percentage for a season.

Based on his pre-injury performance, there is no reason to believe he was going to be anything close to a Hall of Famer in either MLB or the NFL.

Reaction Score
[Bo Jackson's] track and field accomplishments defy credible analysis.

No they don't.

he was a decathlon champion

Really? Do you mean in high school competitions? Lots of people were champions in all sorts of things in high school competitions.

whose 40 yd dash in the NFL combine has never been equalled.

Sort of. Bo's record is unofficial because it occurred before they started using electronic timers.

Look, Bo Jackson's actual achievements are plenty good enough. He was a Heisman trophy winner who went on to play well in two major pro sports at the same time. That sentence isn't true of anyone else in history. There's no need to make inflated, inaccurate claims about him. His case can be made very well with the truth.

Reaction Score
No they don't.

Really? Do you mean in high school competitions? Lots of people were champions in all sorts of things in high school competitions.

Sort of. Bo's record is unofficial because it occurred before they started using electronic timers.

Look, Bo Jackson's actual achievements are plenty good enough. He was a Heisman trophy winner who went on to play well in two major pro sports at the same time. That sentence isn't true of anyone else in history. There's no need to make inflated, inaccurate claims about him. His case can be made very well with the truth.
You left out how good he was in Techno Bowl...

Bo could run down fly balls, had a cannon for an arm and hit 500 foot home runs. He can jump high, run fast and bowl people over. He is a legend regardless of his final stats. Besides who else has these stars testifying on his behave: Also, if you ever heard his peers talk about him (which is more valuable than us fans,) there was no better athlete.

Reaction Score
You left out how good he was in Techno Bowl...

That's true. :)

Bo could run down fly balls, had a cannon for an arm and hit 500 foot home runs. He can jump high, run fast and bowl people over. He is a legend regardless of his final stats.

As fans of sports, it's thrilling to see certain types of awe-inspiring plays. And if someone wants to value those plays in terms of their own preferences in how they appreciate sports, more power to them.

However, in the context of asking who was the best multi-sport athlete, I think that being good at a sport is defined by how much you help your team win (or, in an individual sport, by how much you win). And spectacular athletic feats don't always help a team win as much as mundane ones do. A baseball player who takes tons of walks, for example, might well be helping his team win more than someone who does things that are more spectacular but less valuable.

Also, if you ever heard his peers talk about him (which is more valuable than us fans,) there was no better athlete.

Peers said many great things about Bo, but also about the other guys discussed in this thread. (I also happen to prefer well-conceived stats to peer assessments as a measure of value, but there's no need to debate that here.)

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Coincidentally, during yesterday's Yankees game, the trivia question was something like:

"What Toronto Blue Jay player from 1981 was also an All-Star, two-time champion, and a general manager?"

A trick question that was answered here first! (SVCBeercats, you work for YES or what?!)

Also made the all-rookie team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom