OT: Best hot dogs | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Pretty sure the only thing I put mayo on is my BLT. Some restaurant puts it on my burger. On a dog..Never.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I worked at kfc in high school in 1984. They were ahead of the curve with a chicken breast sandwich back then, way ahead. And it had miracle whip on it. And it was freaking good as a whole, otherwise I haven’t found much use for it, but that one worked. Better than mayo even I think.

Reaction Score
Somewhat related, we had pierogies and grilled kielbasa for dinner tonight. My father in law keeps us stocked with great kielbasa from Hapanowicz Bros. in upstate New York and I’ve been grilling it for the family and the masses for every family gathering for decades.

We butterfly it in 2-3” pieces and it has become tradition for me to char the crap out of it. Over the years I’ve realized that almost everyone prefers it with a really healthy char, like 1/3 to 1/2 blackened.

Curious how the pros here say it should be prepared, because this just developed almost by accident and we all really love it this way.

btw I just noticed you asked how the pros do it. Wanted to be honest here and tell you I am no pro - but the technique you use on the grill (butterfly and char) is exactly the one that my dad did when I was a kid and he was a big time polak so it must be right.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
My favorite brown mustard is Kosciusko, but I also grew up on and love Ba-Tempte Delicatessen Mustard.

Try Gold's Horseradish mustard. Its even better than those two . . .

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Thanks to this thread, I’ve been craving hot dogs and now am getting Teds char broiled tonight for dinner - delish!

To answer the other thread, I went ketchup, mustard, relish, onion and pickle on the side. Let’s go!

Reaction Score
Anybody else had Kayem's? I think they're a regional boston brand. I discovered them by accident last summer and they're all I buy now. Just perfect every time.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I had Mucke's with my leftover Blackie's relish. If I'm buying just a few good ones, I'm buying local. I think we have excellent local options.

Reaction Score
Somewhat related, we had pierogies and grilled kielbasa for dinner tonight. My father in law keeps us stocked with great kielbasa from Hapanowicz Bros. in upstate New York and I’ve been grilling it for the family and the masses for every family gathering for decades.

We butterfly it in 2-3” pieces and it has become tradition for me to char the crap out of it. Over the years I’ve realized that almost everyone prefers it with a really healthy char, like 1/3 to 1/2 blackened.

Curious how the pros here say it should be prepared, because this just developed almost by accident and we all really love it this way.
For fresh kielbasa, I've seen it and tried it two other ways.
Using a high skillet, cover sausage with water and bring to gentle boil. When water level is halfway up the sausage, flip and continue to cook until the liquid begins to foam. Remove and rinse pan. Add a little olive oil to pan and brown on both sides.

The other way is to bake in 325F oven. Place sausage on nonstick sheet pan and brush with olive oil. Bake for 20-22 minutes then gentley flip and bake another 20 minutes.

The boiling method leaves a nice snap on the outside and very tender and juicy inside.
Either way, try not to or minimize puncturing the casing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think I was a disappointment to the polish side of my family...never really cared for kielbasa. Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat em but not my favorite. Pierogies on the other hand...I can eat all day every day

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom