OT: Best hot dogs | The Boneyard

OT: Best hot dogs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Blind taste test results in today's NYT:

We Taste-Tested 10 Hot Dogs. Here Are the Best.

I eat maybe three hot dogs a year: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Miller's Provisions from Stratford are my all-time favorites but sadly they are no longer in business. I usually go with Hummels now, unless my father-in-law is in town with belly busters from Hapanowicz Bros. in Utica, NY (technically New York Mills), which is what I had on Memorial Day. Those are probably my favorites now, but I'm interested to hear of others I should try.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Blind taste test results in today's NYT:

We Taste-Tested 10 Hot Dogs. Here Are the Best.

I eat maybe three hot dogs a year: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Miller's Provisions from Stratford are my all-time favorites but sadly they are no longer in business. I usually go with Hummels now, unless my father-in-law is in town with belly busters from Hapanowicz Bros. in Utica, NY (technically New York Mills), which is what I had on Memorial Day. Those are probably my favorites now, but I'm interested to hear of others I should try.

That is strictly water dog category. Water dogs can be great from carts and at home, but they ignored a whole category of dogs.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I like any of the local brands when bought at a restaurant, but honestly can't tell the difference between them. Hebrew National for the home grill, I miss the garlic when tasting other brands.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That is strictly water dog category. Water dogs can be great from carts and at home, but they ignored a whole category of dogs.

Dirty water dogs.

We started offering them for sale in our office's snack bar a few months ago.

Weiner Wednesday. $2 gets you a Nathan's famous with Hornel out of the can chili and fixins.

Smells disgusting and looks even worse. Dogs weren't meant to take warm baths in a crock pot.

Got to grill or sautee them.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dirty water dogs.

We started offering them for sale in our office's snack bar a few months ago.

Weiner Wednesday. $2 gets you a Nathan's famous with Hornel out of the can chili and fixins.

Smells disgusting and looks even worse. Dogs weren't meant to take warm baths in a crock pot.

Got to grill or sautee them.

No not a crock pot, sitting all day .......but a steam cart... or 20 minutes in covered water that just boiled is the absolute best way for dogs like Hebrew Nationals, Sabretts and Nathans. Not debatable.

A Hebrew National steamed is WAY better than a Hebrew National on the grill.
Just like a Natural Casing Hummel would be disgusting boiled/steamed, it HAS to be on the grill.

Its like using tools man. Use the proper tool for the task at hand.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No not a crock pot, sitting all day ..but a steam cart... or 20 minutes in water that just boiled is the absolute best way for dogs like Hebrew Nationals, Sabretts and Nathans. Not debatable.

Just like a Natural Casing Hummel would be disgusting boiled/steamed, it HAS to be on the grill.

Your taste buds are way off but that's expected from an Arby's man.

For the Hebrew National, Nathan's, Oscar Mayer class I've taken to broiling them in a toaster oven.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
For those who apparently didn't read the article:

The terms were as follows:

First, the hot dogs would be cooked on a gas grill until well browned.

Next, each would be tasted plain to evaluate the intrinsic qualities of the hot dog: seasoning, beefiness, snap, texture.

Last, each would be eaten in a bun with the judge’s preordained condiments — the same for each dog, to keep the flavor profile consistent.

This important final step would allow us to assess the melding of meat and bread, sweetness and spice, salt and juice that makes up a perfect hot dog. The bun should hug the hot dog closely; there should be enough juice in the hot dog to keep the whole package together; condiments should complement the hot dog, not overwhelm it.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Your taste buds are way off but that's expected from an Arby's man.

For the Hebrew National, Nathan's, Oscar Mayer class I've taken to broiling them in a toaster oven.

Youre in Florida. Im a born and bred New York city boy. Next you will be telling me Pensacolas best Pizza places and how they are better than New Haven.

When I need some opinion on fried alligator nuggets, Ill come your way in a thread and defer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Exactly my point. They totally hosed water dogs on a grill.
I don't understand what that means. If you are suggesting that there are better dogs for a grill than those identified in the article or in my post, that was the point of the thread, i.e., what do you recommend instead?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Youre in Florida. Im a born and bred New York city boy. Next you will be telling me Pensacolas best Pizza places and how they are better than New Haven.

When I need some opinion on fried alligator nuggets, Ill come your way in a thread and defer.

You're still wrong. Being born and bred in NYC and thinking hot dogs out of mobile cart is the way to go is part of your small thinking. There's a whole world of ways to enjoy encased tube steak beyond you NYC mind.

Alligator nuggets, fish fries and shrimp or crawfish boils. All good stuff.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don't understand what that means. If you are suggesting that there are better dogs for a grill than those identified in the article or in my post, that was the point of the thread, i.e., what do you recommend instead?

Well you mentioned a couple already.
Hummels
Belly busters
Muckes Natural casings (and I dont really like these)
Martin Rosols
Stop and Shop natural casing
Grote and Wiegel natuaral Casing

Really any big Box Natural casing regional dog is (the ones that are connected like sausages) no matter best or worst is better on the grill than every single dog mentioned on that list.

Its more about style than brand. The worst of that style is better on the grill than the best of the water dog styles.

That I guess is my overall contention.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well you mentioned a couple already.
Hummels
Belly busters
Muckes Natural casings (and I dont really like these)
Martin Rosols
Stop and Shop natural casing
Grote and Wiegel natuaral Casing

Really any big Box Natural casing regional dog is (the ones that are connected like sausages) no matter best or worst is better on the grill than every single dog mentioned on that list.

Its more about style than brand. The worst of that style is better on the grill than the best of the water dog styles.

That I guess is my overall contention.
Got it. So I should stick with the ones I prefer and not try the ones in the article if I prefer a grilled dog. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Eddie's butcher shop house made in Croghan, NY - admittedly a long drive; even for me for a good weiner.

White Eagle Brand out of Schenectady in the grocery store.

Reaction Score

August, do you get the onions in the thin tomato based sauce from "the man on the street"?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
August, do you get the onions in the thin tomato based sauce from "the man on the street"?

No.

On cart dogs Im strictly Spicy brown mustard and onions. Nothing else. Certainly nothing that in anyway would resemble Ketchup.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Hot dog cart that one of my fishing buddies just loves on the way home from the lake has a big assortment, all mediocre. Standard is a skinless, boiled. But all of the natural casing selections are grilled early, and then kept in a steamer all day. Crunchy and soggy at the same time. Don't like even thinking about it.

The article sucked toad testes. Their standards were off, their criteria were skewed, and they came off like a bunch of snooty foodies slumming around with the hoi polloi, telling them how to eat.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No not a crock pot, sitting all day ..but a steam cart... or 20 minutes in covered water that just boiled is the absolute best way for dogs like Hebrew Nationals, Sabretts and Nathans. Not debatable.

Absolutely. Like ketchup -- the proper tool for hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, onion rings, and turkey sandwiches.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The article sucked toad testes. Their standards were off, their criteria were skewed, and they came off like a bunch of snooty foodies slumming around with the hoi polloi, telling them how to eat.
Fake news liberal elitists out of touch NY times strikes again

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Muckes...topped with Koops Arizona Heat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members