OT: Best Fish and Chips in CT ? | The Boneyard

OT: Best Fish and Chips in CT ?

Reaction Score
Looking for recommendations on behalf of a friend from England. I figure 8893 or AW will have something. Thanks in advance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Looking for recommendations on behalf of a friend from England. I figure 8893 or AW will have something. Thanks in advance.
Didn't know Arbys had fish and chips.

Reaction Score
Take them to Modern or original Pepe's.

But if it must be F&C I like all the Little Pubs .... Fairfield, Wilton, Ridgefield and Greenwich if you are in Fairfield County.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not really a go-to meal for me, but I occasionally get a hankering. I assume since you are asking for a Brit friend you are looking for that traditional style. Anna Liffey's in New Haven used to be very good for traditional style but they are closed. Same with Black Rock Castle in Bridgeport. I recall that Tigin in Stamford was excellent, but that was several years ago and I haven't been there in a long time.

Assuming you are looking for Hartford area, I have had good traditional F&C at Mckinnon's and The Half Door.

For great fried seafood generally, my favorites are Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook, Supreme Seafood in North Branford, Clam Castle in Madison and Lenny & Joe's in Westbrook, Madison or New Haven.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Not really a go-to meal for me, but I occasionally get a hankering. I assume since you are asking for a Brit friend you are looking for that traditional style. Anna Liffey's in New Haven used to be very good for traditional style but they are closed. Same with Black Rock Castle in Bridgeport. I recall that Tigin in Stamford was excellent, but that was several years ago and I haven't been there in a long time.

Assuming you are looking for Hartford area, I have had good traditional F&C at Mckinnon's and The Half Door.

For great fried seafood generally, my favorites are Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook, Supreme Seafood in North Branford, Clam Castle in Madison and Lenny & Joe's in Westbrook, Madison or New Haven.
Yeah, Lenny and Joes in New Haven has great seafood and a good atmosphere /views. Jimmy’s of Savin Rock also.

Reaction Score
City Fish Market's takeout is pretty solid. Not sure I'd take a Brit there....but I like it.
That was my recommendation also.

There used to be a place in Manchester when I was a kid called Arthur Treacher's that had great fish and chips. Or maybe it was just good because I was a kid who liked anything greasy! Amazingly the place is still around - 7 locations, all in NY and Ohio. Wikipedia says there were 800 locations nationwide in the late 1970's.

Arthur Treacher's

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Would the last thing they'd want would be something that they could get at home?

Get them a steak one day and seafood the next. If you have a good burger place throw that in as well.

And Pepe's.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

I mean are you looking for actual authentic Brit style or the New England coast take?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Didn't know Arbys had fish and chips.

They do. And they are AWESOME.

Actually its not really fish and Chips but they did have a Nashville Hot Fish sandwich which was killer.

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Would the last thing they'd want would be something that they could get at home?

By the way, this thread reminds me of a long running family joke.

Im at Disney a lot (DVC member our home resort is Boardwalk). From Boardwalk it is a less than 5 minute walk to the back entrance of Epcot. That back entrance brings you right in by "England" . The England exhibit serves Fish and Chips and guess who it is predominantly populated by? British vacationers. Every time we walk in the park we hear British accents "daddy can we get some fish and chips"

Its like OK. You just flew 9 hours to be here. Spending a mint. Youve got 1000 different food options and adventures to go on. Why THE HELL are you eating Fish and Chips in the England exhibit!

And they are the only Nationality that does that. When I eat in Japan, its not over run with the multitude of Japanese toursists there. They are out trying different things.

Still cant figure it out.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Kinda half joking here but that Big Y makes a hella Fish and Chips.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
As a youngin' I used to like them at Anna Liffey's in New Haven. It's been a long time though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Im at Disney a lot (DVC member our home resort is Boardwalk). From Boardwalk it is a less than 5 minute walk to the back entrance of Epcot. That back entrance brings you right in by "England" . The England exhibit serves Fish and Chips and guess who it is predominantly populated by? British vacationers. Every time we walk in the park we hear British accents "daddy can we get some fish and chips"

Its like OK. You just flew 9 hours to be here. Spending a mint. Youve got 1000 different food options and adventures to go on. Why THE HELL are you eating Fish and Chips in the England exhibit!

And they are the only Nationality that does that. When I eat in Japan, its not over run with the multitude of Japanese toursists there. They are out trying different things.

When I lived in Mexico City there were three Taco Bells there. I wondered how they could exist in a city of a million great tacos. Turns out it was mostly American tourists. And some Mexican kids who wanted "American fast food".

Might as well take 'em to an Indian restaurant too. Not like Indian/Paki food in UK beats the snot out of US, right?

Reaction Score

Ha. That is so true. I use that same entrance when some business conference or another is always held at Disney. I like the beach club / yacht club hotels even more than Grand Floridian. Those are across from Boardwalk and right at that entrance. I always grab a pint right away in "England" and always hear non staff Brit accents. You can do quality drinking at epcot.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
City Fish Market's takeout is pretty solid. Not sure I'd take a Brit there....but I like it.
But the fact that it's a fish market first, take-away joint second might be a curiosity. The sitting room is fine if a bit sterile. We always look for a reason to eat there. They really know how to fry seafood.

Reaction Score
I see a few Fairfield County folks threw out a couple of names here - yet no one mentioned Royal Guard Fish & Chips in Stamford on Shippan Avenue. I was going to this place 30 years ago... Closest to "Authentic" in the area - they even had the malt vinegar shakers on the table.

Yes, it is more toward the fast foodie end of things - but I promise that your English friend will love it. And the tables are covered with headlines clipped from the London Times.

Royal Guard Fish & Chips in Stamford (if you are in that area) - your friend will definitely thank you on that one.

Reaction Score
I mean are you looking for actual authentic Brit style or the New England coast take?

Looking for authentic Brit style, she has been in CT since 1994 and has not found a great one thus far in CT.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Looking for authentic Brit style, she has been in CT since 1994 and has not found a great one thus far in CT.
What's authentic? The big steak fries, everything served in newspaper wrappings? Do the Brits use a different batter/frying technique?

Reaction Score
When I lived in Mexico City there were three Taco Bells there. I wondered how they could exist in a city of a million great tacos. Turns out it was mostly American tourists. And some Mexican kids who wanted "American fast food".

Might as well take 'em to an Indian restaurant too. Not like Indian/Paki food in UK beats the snot out of US, right?
I live in Mexico currently and, as to my understanding Mexicans would never let a taco Bell happen....rightfully so. my wife's friend lives in cdmx, no taco Bell according to her and the cdmx fbook page I am part of seems to confirm that. I have heard ppl from the states crave taco Bell however..all I could think was "are you nuts?? Food in cdmx and Puebla is incredible!"

But from what I have seen and experienced Americans are the most likely to seek out creature comforts from home, including McDonald's and stuff like that. For sure not just a Brit thing. Found them to be more open about trying the local cuisine in fact.

Reaction Score
How about Nebraskans travelling to NYC for vacation and getting "Italian" at Olive Garden in Times Square?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom