OT:BBQ Grill Smokers | The Boneyard

OT:BBQ Grill Smokers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone have a reccommendation for a good, moderately priced, smoker? I tried the Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill but returned it after it failed to heat up enough. I should have checked it out ahead of time, but when I checked after trying to use it, I found lots of complaints from people who had the same problem.

I want to be able to use it for smoking ribs and brisket.

Thanks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ah, the internet.

Someone asks for a good, reasonably priced smoker and someone else shows him a link to a $3,000 used smoker he'd have to tow behind a truck.

Reaction Score
I echo Fishy's comments.

Might as well have given the cat a link to the plans for a smokehouse with a cement slab floor and two boxes one for cold smoking and one for hot smoking to smoke three whole hogs in at a time that you can get from cooperative extension.....it's great but it will set you back about $5-7K in materials and labor depend on what value you place on your time to build it.

Frank, I've lived a long time down south and have called two of the traditional BBQ capitals home and to suggest that if you're serious about smoking the only way to do it is through one of those high falootin trailers is funny, thanks for the chuckle. I'd be happy to introduce you to a few country boys that smoke whole hog out of oil drums that would put a lickin' on that tow behind contraption. I've had plenty of BBQ that kills it from a bullet smoker, I've also had great cue from an kimodo style smoker and damn near everything in between.

Uconn93, what do you want to spend? There are plenty of options available. Depends what and how much of it you want to smoke, heat shouldn't be an issue, it's consistent temp. that you are looking for. You want to be able to hold the temp. for a long time without jack assing around with the vents every 15 minutes it's BBQ, not grilling. When you find what works for you, then start experimenting with different rubs and woods as that is what imparts the flavor into your meat of choice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Someone asks for a good, reasonably priced smoker and someone else shows him a link to a $3,000 used smoker he'd have to tow behind a truck.
Fishy, you're usually sharper than this.

Reaction Score
Frank, out of curiosity, how long does it take you to incinerate a human body in that?
Just smoke the bodies in there - the zombie apocalypse seems to have gotten underway and I hear the Zombies have a preference for BBQ flavor.

Reaction Score
Just smoke the bodies in there - the zombie apocalypse seems to have gotten underway and I hear the Zombies have a preference for BBQ flavor.

If you have a read enough Frank Ivy you would know that he would never spend that kind of money on a smoker. On a wife, maybe.

Reaction Score
Anyone have a reccommendation for a good, moderately priced, smoker? I tried the Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill but returned it after it failed to heat up enough. I should have checked it out ahead of time, but when I checked after trying to use it, I found lots of complaints from people who had the same problem.

I want to be able to use it for smoking ribs and brisket.

Thanks.

My question would be you only want to get it up to 200-220 degrees. How the heck did you have trouble getting it to heat up to that level? It might not be the arrows, it might be the Indian.

I have a Weber Smoky Mountain and it's as basic and solid as you can get for the price. Spend the time and effort to work on what rubs and styles you like best. Check out Myron Mixon's rib recipe. The rib marinade and spritz are pretty tough to beat once you do it a few times.

Have fun. Experiment. Don't get discouraged. And don't buy a 3,000.00 rig.

Reaction Score
I have a Bradley smoker that I have done, ribs, brisket, jerky, canadian bacon,smoked salmon and many other things in. I have had it for about 5 years with no problems, check them out at www.bradleysmoker.com. this is a smoker only though, not a grill.

Reaction Score
I echo Fishy's comments.

Uconn93, what do you want to spend? There are plenty of options available. Depends what and how much of it you want to smoke, heat shouldn't be an issue, it's consistent temp. that you are looking for. You want to be able to hold the temp. for a long time without jack assing around with the vents every 15 minutes it's BBQ, not grilling. When you find what works for you, then start experimenting with different rubs and woods as that is what imparts the flavor into your meat of choice.

Something in the $300 range.....maybe a little more if it made a substantial difference.

I'm not looking to do any huge volume either.....just enough for the family and a few friends for dinner.

As I learned with my failed attempt with the Brinkman......it has to hold its temperature.

Lemme know what you think.

Reaction Score
Weber Smokey Mountain and a small big green egg are both good and easy to use. It think the egg is probably a bit more that 3 bills, but by maybe 50 bucks or so. Those kamado (sp?) units can work as a smoker and a high heat griller. You need to look at the surface area though to make sure that you've got enough room to do what you want on both of those units.

Reaction Score
$89 Master Forge from Lowes blows away anything else I have used on the low to medium end

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My neighbor used the $89 Master Forge from Lowes once......once.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
A Master Forge is a race between the meat being fully cooked and the smoker disintegrating in a pile of rust.

Reaction Score
I guess it's not a good idea to fot near one of those things. So much for the beans.

Reaction Score
I put a hot plate in the bottom of a Weber with a cast skillet full of chips on it. Works great, keeps everything at the right temp and the smoke escapes before it gets bitter.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I put a hot plate in the bottom of a Weber with a cast skillet full of chips on it. Works great, keeps everything at the right temp and the smoke escapes before it gets bitter.

I've actually done that with something of an improvised smoke box - it does work well, but I think these kids are more serious about their smoking than we are.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
For some really good feedback on smokers in your price range AND anything else related to smoking meat Id suggest you take a look at: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/. I do small BBQ catering gigs and get tons of info from this site. For my money, the best smoker in your range is an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS). Its a homemade model using a 55 gallon drum and a few parts you can pick up at the Home Depot.

Ive owned quite a few smokers in different price ranges but my homemade UDS absolutely kicks ass and cost me less than $150 to put together. All you will need is a 55 gallon drum, a few nuts and bolts and a couple of grills. It really only takes basic skills to put one together and I promise it will produce incredibly good BBQ that you will be proud of.

Use the google search tool on the bottom of the bbq-brethren webpage and search for "UDS". There is a great, step by step, tutorial with pics to give you guidance. This bad boy has put out some good bbq
292991_2079946033126_4448917_n.jpg

72325_1536362723883_3045363_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member