OT - At what point... | The Boneyard

OT - At what point...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
At what point does it become clear that C Vivian Stringer is not the coach she once was? Forget the current losing streak....She's had a number of strong recruiting classes over the past 5 years or so. She seems to produce transfers and mediocrity - good teams but mediocre.

She seems to be a very good role model and mentor....but has the complexity of the game passed her by?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She seems to be one of a number of "old school" women's coaches who are having a hard time adapting to the present generation of kids. Geno has noted over the last couple of years about how kids have changed and the difference in their atitudes towards playing and coaching. He and the staff have adapted well. If think that Muffet has adapted well. I think there are others on both sides of this transition in culture, too.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think the issue is her understanding of the game. If anything, yes, she seems to have trouble dealing with players - not as a mentor or respected person, but rather in trying to get them to perform the way she would like. When there is dysfunction / chemistry issues (and apparently there are) she doesn't really seem able to overcome them. This, however, isn't new.

It was interesting that her diagnosis of the end of the last loss (players couldn't hit the broad side of a barn) and that of complaining fans were similar but different. Both said that the guards "pressed to hard". The fans said they were pressing because "she has beaten them down mentally". She said they were pressing because "both bigs had fouled out of the game and they were trying to do too much". If it wasn't for preconceived issues about Vivian, which is more likely?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Can't one say the same of Fennelly and Collen and some of the other old boys coaching? It's really, really, REAALLY hard to be at the top of your game for a day, much less a year, much less forty. That's why Pat and Geno and Leon and such are so amazing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Can't one say the same of Fennelly and Collen and some of the other old boys coaching? It's really, really, REAALLY hard to be at the top of your game for a day, much less a year, much less forty. That's why Pat and Geno and Leon and such are so amazing.
I would add Tara, too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think it is specifically about how to deal with the kids and has little to nothing to do with the game or how to play. I do not think it has anything to do with the gender of coaches. There are male and female on both sides of the issue. I agree with your observations Knightsbridge.

CViv has expressed her frustration in the difference in "kids today." I am only noting what has been expressed by the coaches themselves. Some have found the means to adapt but others are still wrestling with how to reach the current crop of kids.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

I'm stumped by this comment - Collen has a 13 year career at 3 schools, while his Arkansas stint has produced the worst record, last year he was 22-12, and is well positioned in the SEC this season.

Fennelly has a 23 year career, most at Iowa State but Toledo before that. He has won an average of 24 games the last 4 seasons, 22 last year.

And FWIW, Leon coached for only 20 years. Only won 576 games. It is his stellar .869 winning percentage that gets him such kudos!

Incidently, most coaches would love to be struggling like Vivian, 20 wins a season average the last 3 (yes, worse than before, but . . .)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom