OT: apartment advice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: apartment advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a landlord, I hate turnover. I don't really want tenants who have a 720 FICO score because chances are they won't be renters for long. Ideally, I want someone who has the potential to be a long term tenant. Okay if they have some credit issues as long as they're not chronic issues. All of my properties are 3BR which tend to have less turnover. 1BR's are the worst for turnover.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think the best is to find a rental from someone that only has a few rental properties and does it as a side business. Be a good tenant and you have it made. My last landlord was apologetic when she asked to raise my rent after 4 years. Even then it didn't cover the bump in her condo fees. Those professional landlords are cut throat. Huge fine if you are one day late, keeping your deposit, stuff like that.

Reaction Score
well some good advice but nobody answered the most important questions. Which town has the best pizza and craft beer?

Reaction Score
TasteofUconn....good catch on my typo. The points I made are nonetheless valid. Your response clearly shows your age...late 20 's , early 30' s . Single , nothing in your name except a vehicle your parents consigned for....or did you trade THAT vehicle in and you have under 24 months left?

PUS%Y is PUS%Y. What you fail to recognize is business is business. Be young and enjoy yourself while you attempt to f%ck anything that would give you the time of day ....your going to grow up one day.

I just cant resist commenting on that last part. Love doesn't pay attention to credit score, especially for young people . I can understand you telling him that his girlfriends credit score can have an affect on them getting a place together, but otherwise you dont know their situation and I think its a bit off to give the advice you gave. Makes it sounds like you've been wronged and dont believe in love (which is your personal choice).

At that age my credit score was in the trash. Thank God my wife saw past that and gave me a shot, moved in together and we built my credit up over the years together.

To each his own, I can understand credit score is a pre req for a lot of people, but not to everyone and its certainly not a standard pre req for a young couple.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
My advice is to find a nice safe place and not the cheapest, one where you are both comfortable. And pay your rent on time.
My landlady cried when I moved out after six years. You will need a reference when you attempt to buy your first home and your landlord can break your mortgage application.
Leave on good terms with your landlord. The banks will ask for a letter or a completed form when you go to buy. If you can not pay the rent on time, no way will a bank loan
you money. And don't wreck the place. You may have to move back someday.

Reaction Score
Fishy , you aren't being honest. A 720 + credit score beats out a 660 + all day long and twice on Sunday. I'm by no means Donald Trump. ..but I will respond occasionally Boneyard members who's inquiries are in my wheelhouse.

The original poster inquired about flexibility in negotiating a lease. Been there done that.

He mentioned his girlfriend. ..I assume she's also employed. Been there done that.

Nobody on either this particular thread , or the Boneyard in its entirety is paying my bills. ..so what's my motivation to give what you / others call ' caveman advice' ? I got out of school and found myself in a similar situation that the original poster was in. First 4 months were great , next 4 were suspect , and for 4 months I paid for somewhere I didn't live.

FYI - the 43 was a typo. I was born in 1970. I'm just trying to guide a young man...no more , no less. I'm not looking for 3%-5% on anything; and I'm sure your company does a great job exploiting the uniformed. Keep up the bad work. Please tell us the name of your firm..I'm sure you'll be able to find some victims on the board.

I'm telling the truth, and you're looking for a client.

Jesus. Aren't we talking about a 22 year old kid looking to get out from under his parents' thumb for the first time? Your "life lessons" sound like they're coming from a guy who is a complete nightmare to be around. It's also ____ advice.

My first place out of college, in D.C., both me and my buddy needed cosigners. The world didn't end! I'm a bit younger than you but now, 15-odd years later, I too have bountiful riches and wondrous investment properties in my (LLC's) name! Magic!

Kid - have somebody take a look at the lease. If you can pay the rent and you get a good vibe from the place, go for it. Life is long and complicated and if the worst mistake you make is picking the wrong first apartment out of college your life is going to be smooth sailing.

Reaction Score
go for a month to month if u can get it, that way u dont even have to worry about a lease if the situation sucks

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'd post on Facebook asking friends if they know of anyone renting or any friends moving out of a unit. This will avoid having to deal with realtors, who in general don't have the best professional reputation.

There a very good deals out there and since you're living with your parents there isn't a rush to jump into the first place you see.

Not sure how much $ you have available but I was able to lower my rent by I think $150 a month over the lease by paying first and last month both up front. There's always room to negotiate.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My landlady cried when I moved out after six years.

"Despite her pleas, his mind was made up. He would be moving out of her garage and out of her life. The truth struck her across the heart and the loins...

For the first time in six years, Ethel Kugelburg was in the market for a new cabana boy."

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Lol at the credit score comment. This has to be some sort of joke.

Reaction Score
Honestly...best advice for someone not too far removed from your shoes. Stay at home for 2-3 years and SAVE. It sucks after getting out of college but WELL worth it. I did, and while my friends were renting I was able to save money and still have as much fun as they were. I saved enough money to buy a condo, and have since moved out and am now renting it for a profit of $500+ a month at 33 years of age. Best decision I ever made was sacrifice a few years of living with the folks after college.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Lol at the credit score comment. This has to be some sort of joke.

Seriously. It also helps with renters if you can bench 300+ lbs.

Reaction Score
Honestly...best advice for someone not too far removed from your shoes. Stay at home for 2-3 years and SAVE.
And living at home will your parents will have the added benefit or reducing the chances you get a girl pregnant, which ties into what the crazy guy fighting lord fishy was saying, above.

Reaction Score
This is horrid advice. Rent might be a number, but your S.O. is definitely not. I look for a lot of things in a woman - FICO score is not at the top of the list. A woman can have many, many desirable . . . attributes . . . notwithstanding an uninspiring FICO score.

I claim discrimination here! If its important to women why not men? LOL

Reaction Score
As an owner, I'd have a two smartphone minimum requirement per tenant. I'd require data reports and that plan best be at least 64GB

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
1c941ea3619aed9de36ec61914b34849.jpg

Reaction Score
Hey all,

Looking to move out of my parents place after graduating from uconn last spring. Trying to rent an apartment for me and my girlfriend in the Fairfield-N Bridgeport-Stratford-Milford area (I work in Fairfield). Wondering if any of you have advice. I've heard you can negotiate monthly rent, not sure if this is true so any kind of help would be awesome. Orrrr if any of you work in real estate and want to help a fellow BYer out, I'm your man.
Wow how did I just see this?????

You know my Answer

SONOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Wow how did I just see this?????

You know my Answer

SONOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, are you the girlfriend? Did things not go well already? Thats too bad. Pics?

Reaction Score
I hope it worked out for the OP. There was some great advice in the early part of this thread. While I didn't like the style of the particular message, I totally agree about the credit score. Love is wonderful, so is a great interest rate. Renting with a partner with bad credit is a minor obstacle, but one day the happy couple may want to purchase a home. At that point, the minor obstacle damn near becomes a road block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom