OT: Anyone from Minneapolis? | The Boneyard

OT: Anyone from Minneapolis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hi! This is WAY off topic but I was wondering if anyone was from Minneapolis? I'm planning on moving there in the summer after I graduate from school in June and after I hopefully get a job there and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Uptown or Loring Park.

I completely understand if no one responds seeing as this is a UConn forum but just thought I'd ask because I'm getting anxious about the big move!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I know a number of folks from Minnesota with connections to Minneapolis. If no one else can help you, let me know and maybe I can ask someone.

As you will find out, if you don't know it already, Minnesota is "the promised land" for Lutherans. And, while I don't really know if they venture into town, we met a bunch of suburban mosquitos, and heard some giant mosquito lore, during a tour of Minnesota lighthouses a few years ago.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hahaha Yeah I went camping near Grand Marais, right by Canada, there this summer and I have been there during the summer and Thanksgiving. I'll definitely bring bug spray, I'm not too worried about that, I'm more worried about the snow and the cold since I'll be moving from Savannah, Georgia.... yikes!

Thank KnightBridgeAZ! I'll be sure to ask you if the info here is limited!

Reaction Score
My wife is from Northern Wisconsin so the weather is similar. She always says they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding.
Honestly though, I would rather have that weather than here in CT. Winter is winter and you can enjoy it as such. Here in CT, it really never gets winter winter where you can enjoy outdoor winter stuff.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Hi! This is WAY off topic but I was wondering if anyone was from Minneapolis? I'm planning on moving there in the summer after I graduate from school in June and after I hopefully get a job there and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Uptown or Loring Park.

I completely understand if no one responds seeing as this is a UConn forum but just thought I'd ask because I'm getting anxious about the big move!

Sorry, I cannot comment about those two specific locations, but I seriously looked into moving to the area (more St. Paul than Minneapolis), and really liked the area. I've been there a number of times, business trips, and visiting friends, and love the area.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Winter, mud season and mosquito season as said lovingly by Garrison Keillor.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I lived there for a while. Buy a BIG can of mosquito repellant.
With 10,000 lakes, you're gonna gets lots of them. I've heard they can open screen doors and come right in your house too. :eek:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hahaha Yeah I went camping near Grand Marais, right by Canada, there this summer and I have been there during the summer and Thanksgiving. I'll definitely bring bug spray, I'm not too worried about that, I'm more worried about the snow and the cold since I'll be moving from Savannah, Georgia.... yikes!
Plenty of ice and snow. So much they have a Carnival for it.

http://www.winter-carnival.com/

Reaction Score
I recruit for companies all over the US. While folks seldom suggest the Twin Cities as their destination of choice, after they've been there a couple years, they don't want to leave.
Nice people - quality of life. Not cheap 'tho.

My own experience: I've probably been to the Twin Cities 5 or 6 times in the last 30 years - It's NEVER been less than 90 degrees. I have no idea why they have those habitrails between the buildings downtown - must be to hold the air conditioning in, ??;)

Reaction Score
I live in Minneapolis. Loring park is nice and downtown. It is widely considered to be a very gay area so if you are fine with that you are good. Its very expensive. Uptown is hipsterville. Good food and fun and good accessability. Uptown and west is nice and near the lakes and trails. I live just West of uptown and love it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Yeah being a recent grad I thinking I'd probably end up in Uptown. I enjoyed it a lot when I was visiting but I went to breakfast in Loring Park and it was very nice neighborhood. So I was just curious. Thanks Revrat!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My wife is from Northern Wisconsin so the weather is similar. She always says they have 9 months of winter and 3 months of rough sledding.
Honestly though, I would rather have that weather than here in CT. Winter is winter and you can enjoy it as such. Here in CT, it really never gets winter winter where you can enjoy outdoor winter stuff.
Yeah I've been getting updates about how this past weekend it was 70 and Thursday's going to snow...I can't wait for it to be nice so I can finally hear about something other than the crappy weather whenever I call my boyfriend.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Sorry, I cannot comment about those two specific locations, but I seriously looked into moving to the area (more St. Paul than Minneapolis), and really liked the area. I've been there a number of times, business trips, and visiting friends, and love the area.
St. Pauls it very nice. One of my friends lives there but my boyfriend works for Target so he wants to stay closer to work.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Just want to say off topic threads are fine in the off-season. We can only discuss next season's starting lineup so many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom