OT:Answers to Q's and some other stuff. | The Boneyard

OT:Answers to Q's and some other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I promised two 'Yarders that I would answer their questions, so here goes. As Minnesota Fats said, "Always take the easy shots first." So I'll start with the Q about two/too/to.
Two = 2. That's all, folks!
Too is safely used two(!) ways: 1) pinch-hit for "also" or "as well"; or 2) a synonym for "very" or "excessive."
1) "Gabby can now shoot free throws too."
2) "UConn was just too good for Vanguard."​
To is 1) the first half of an infinitive verb (e.,g., "to write," "to go," etc.); 2) it may be used to describe direction too.
1) "It is a pleasure to watch Stewie shoot treys."
2 ) "When MoJet drives to the hoop, she usually scores."​

Next, then and than.
Than is easy, always used when making comparisons (e.g., "Hartley is taller than MoJet but shorter than Breanna -- even though we still don't know Bria's height.").
Then is trickier, even though it is associated with time, albeit in many ways. (Check any thesaurus and look at the variety of synonyms.) Simplest and mosr common application is to use it for "next." A few examples:
"The score was close at halftime, then UConn went on a 20-3 run."
"Jim Calhoun, then UConn's mcbb coach, won an NC in 20004."

[TIP: think of "compare" for than and "time" for then.]

Finally, some other stuff, all unsolicited:
Spelling of words in current frequent use: separate and desperate. For good measure; develop and envelope.

Enough already. Go Huskies tomorrow vs. OSU!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some "R" additions::rolleyes:
Rain = those drops of water from above
Rein = straps (usually leather) used to steer or slow/stop a horse (not hoarse) or, coming up, a reindeer
Reign = the period of time an individual - or a great basketball team - is "top dog"

Reaction Score
I promised two 'Yarders that I would answer their questions, so here goes. As Minnesota Fats said, "Always take the easy shots first." So I'll start with the Q about two/too/to.
Two = 2. That's all, folks!
Too is safely used two(!) ways: 1) pinch-hit for "also" or "as well"; or 2) a synonym for "very" or "excessive."
1) "Gabby can now shoot free throws too."
2) "UConn was just too good for Vanguard."​
To is 1) the first half of an infinitive verb (e.,g., "to write," "to go," etc.); 2) it may be used to describe direction too.
1) "It is a pleasure to watch Stewie shoot treys."
2 ) "When MoJet drives to the hoop, she usually scores."​

Next, then and than.
Than is easy, always used when making comparisons (e.g., "Hartley is taller than MoJet but shorter than Breanna -- even though we still don't know Bria's height.").
Then is trickier, even though it is associated with time, albeit in many ways. (Check any thesaurus and look at the variety of synonyms.) Simplest and mosr common application is to use it for "next." A few examples:
"The score was close at halftime, then UConn went on a 20-3 run."
"Jim Calhoun, then UConn's mcbb coach, won an NC in 20004."

[TIP: think of "compare" for than and "time" for then.]

Finally, some other stuff, all unsolicited:
Spelling of words in current frequent use: separate and desperate. For good measure; develop and envelope.

Enough already. Go Huskies tomorrow vs. OSU!
Q is perfectly acceptable I'd rather you use it THAN not. In today's world acronyms are omnipresent. Each organization has it's own set of three or four letters grouping that means something usually only to them. I read so many herein that I don't understand and often times on the TV news or newspapers. I was taught that the first time you use an acronym you spell it out fully. You have done that. Forever now you may use Q. Thanks for defining the usage and spellings, so I'll just lope or lop along.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Q is perfectly acceptable I'd rather you use it THAN not. In today's world acronyms are omnipresent. Each organization has it's own set of three or four letters grouping that means something usually only to them. I read so many herein that I don't understand and often times on the TV news or newspapers. I was taught that the first time you use an acronym you spell it out fully. You have done that. Forever now you may use Q. Thanks for defining the usage and spellings, so I'll just lope or lop along.
But ... the issue being the use of an apostrophe when using an acronym in a plural rather than a possessive way is really not correct but a frequent usage. UFO's light vs. multiple UFOs.
I believe that was the Alex's point. Kim was answering Qs not Q's.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
In this context Q is not an acronym but an abbreviation. According to the _Chicago Manual of Style_, when referring to plurals of a letter, it is correct to use an apostrophe. That is of course an exception to general usage. I don't particularly like it, but its intent I think is to avoid possible confusion with words like "As" and "Is."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some "R" additions::rolleyes:
Rain = those drops of water from above
Rein = straps (usually leather) used to steer or slow/stop a horse (not hoarse) or, coming up, a reindeer
Reign = the period of time an individual - or a great basketball team - is "top dog"

Good catch. Permit a footnote. Aside from the obvious equestrian application of reins, it is widely used to indicate control (e.g., "taking over the reins as CEO"). In the sports world many journalists report coaching changes by writing that "[outgoing coach] has turned over the reigns to [incoming coach"].:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
But ... the issue being the use of an apostrophe when using an acronym in a plural rather than a possessive way is really not correct but a frequent usage. UFO's light vs. multiple UFOs.
I believe that was the Alex's point. Kim was answering Qs not Q's.
Got it.

Reaction Score
Good catch. Permit a footnote. Aside from the obvious equestrian application of reins, it is widely used to indicate control (e.g., "taking over the reins as CEO"). In the sports world many journalists report coaching changes by writing that "[outgoing coach] has turned over the reigns to [incoming coach"].:rolleyes:
So where does REIGN of terror fit?? No specific time frame or royalty involved. Do your really think Journalist care when writing whether it is rains, reigns, or reins?? Or is it just the lack of "proof readers"?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So where does REIGN of terror fit?? No specific time frame or royalty involved. Do your really think Journalist care when writing whether it is rains, reigns, or reins?? Or is it just the lack of "proof readers"?

"Reign of terror" is as OK as "Geno Auriemma's reign as UConn coach." :)

Or "Queen Elizabeth's reign." She has been reluctant to turn over the [reign/reins] :confused: to Prince Charles."

As for journalists (including sportswriters) who get paid as professionals, they should care, and copy editors should make sure that they do.

[Please no questions until Wednesday at earliest. The game Monday and all the incomparable Boneyard analysis is much more important than our little word games.]

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
OK, here is one more that grates. "Less" and "fewer" are NOT synonyms. I am constantly seeing statements such as "x played less minutes than y" or "z scored less points than her average". No, no, no! If you can count it, it is "fewer". If you can't count it, then it is "less". "There was less snow this winter than last." Or, you can think of it as using "fewer" with plural nouns; "Suzie has fewer apples than Bobby", and less with singular nouns; "There is less apple sauce in the fridge than I thought. Less stress, fewer headaches.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So can you also explain about the biggest of the sports forums' bugaboos, the mixing of "lose" and "loose." When a troll comes on the BY and says that UConn will "loose" to his team by at least 10 and that their top scorer will go for 35, does it mean that the Huskies will "lose" to them in a calisthenics contest? Never sure on this point.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
From out of the past comes the thundering doggerel of the PL
The absolutely final word on loose and lose, by the Poet Lariat

Too loose a plan can trip you up, and, likewise, two loose shoes.
To loose his wrath upon his friends a gentleman eschews.
A bigamist might marry with two Nancys or two Lous
If you had two loos in England, you might not know which to use.
Tool use is for mechanics and brush use for Toulouse
In the tourney semifinals, we always see two lose.
Too, lose your concentration and you may find that you get
Reductio ad absurdum, by the Poet Lariat!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Here's another that I have been seeing quite a bit; A team can dominate its competition, but cannot "be dominate", since dominate is a verb. It can, however, be "dominant" over the competition.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK, here is one more that grates. "Less" and "fewer" are NOT synonyms. I am constantly seeing statements such as "x played less minutes than y" or "z scored less points than her average". No, no, no! If you can count it, it is "fewer". If you can't count it, then it is "less". "There was less snow this winter than last." Or, you can think of it as using "fewer" with plural nouns; "Suzie has fewer apples than Bobby", and less with singular nouns; "There is less apple sauce in the fridge than I thought. Less stress, fewer headaches.
I think of less and fewer as being on par with good and well - a different type of error but so frequently used as to start changing the common usage of the language.
Gabby is a good player, and played particularly well in the last night game.
Adjective vs. adverb issues have become commonplace in discussions about sport. Real vs really, bad/badly, etc are additional examples often combined by a star athlete: I played real good today, not as good as last game, but I am putting together a real nice season! In fact, I have had less bad games this year than ever and the team seldom looses. In fact, I can't remember the last time I played bad. Our won/lose record is great!

[I blame UNCheat's educational standards for this!:eek::rolleyes: A joke, but not really if taken as a generalization. It, I think, is the amateur-ization of sports journalism and the need to fill 24 hrs of air time - including athletes as expert analysts who then become journalistic personalities.]

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Please explain why we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.
Because we're all an ornery and contrary bunch of coots. And why do forwards play at the back of the defense near the basket? Again, because they're all contrary.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Because we're all an ornery and contrary bunch of coots. And why do forwards play at the back of the defense near the basket? Again, because they're all contrary.
They play at the front of the offense near the basket.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Because the English language has lots of such quirks. A few come to mind;
- People play at a recital but recite at a play.
- Privates eat in the general mess as generals eat in a private mess.
- We pack suits in a garment bag and garments in a suitcase.
- Day breaks and never falls but night falls and never breaks.
- And the one kids love, your nose runs but your feet smell.:rolleyes:

I'm sure there others. The operable word is inexplicable. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Because the only people who originally had driveways were rich and you had to drive from the main road a considerable distance to the front of their house to discharge your passengers at their front door before the coachman parked the vehicle in the stable yard. Then, after suitable refreshment and if the weather was fine, you might get back in a vehicle to tour around the beautifully landscaped park on the carriage path. It was not long before the park path that was large enough to accommodate a vehicle was identified as the park way, to distinguish it from the other foot paths. So you now had a drive way that was generally a pretty utilitarian and direct route from the main road to the front door, and the park way that lead nowhere in particular designed to give vistas across your parkland.

Move forward and distribute wealth to more and more people and the distance between the main road and the house of a person owning a vehicle became shorter and shorter, and the space around the house became smaller and could accommodate fewer out buildings but the original name for the road remained - driveway. Finally the motorized personal vehicles appeared and the need for a stable disappeared and the land requirement decreased further, and so people ended up parking not in stables or later garages, but right on the drive way.

Meanwhile increased leisure time and motoring as recreation became popular and top speeds increased - the main roads which were pretty direct routes from town to town increased in size and use. People decided to create additional roads designed to provide routes that missed all the congestion of each little town along the old routes which were generally located in the valleys. They created or expanded the longer distance routes that ran along the ridges or high ways. And a few people decided that the recreational as opposed to the utilitarian motorists would enjoy what their predecessors had enjoyed, a route designed to show off the scenery rather than to just get from point A to point B in the most expeditious manner - the park way was reborn for the masses.

So you end up with a parkway where you can't park, and a driveway where you generally cannot drive far.

I know it was joking and the history lesson is pretty long, but I enjoyed writing it.:cool:

[Now don't ask me about driving or navigating on a fairway, if you know what is good for you! :eek:)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Here's another that I have been seeing quite a bit; A team can dominate its competition, but cannot "be dominate", since dominate is a verb. It can, however, be "dominant" over the competition.

I see that one a lot, too -- it's a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
I played real good today, not as good as last game, but I am putting together a real nice season! In fact, I have had less bad games this year than ever and the team seldom looses. In fact, I can't remember the last time I played bad. Our won/lose record is great!

[I blame UNCheat's educational standards for this!:eek::rolleyes: A joke, but not really if taken as a generalization. It, I think, is the amateur-ization of sports journalism and the need to fill 24 hrs of air time - including athletes as expert analysts who then become journalistic personalities.]
One of the Phoenix sports talk radio stations has a regular Tuesday morning feature where they play a clip of Ray Lewis from MNF the night before. Listeners call in and try to guess what he said. The winning caller is one with the most clever/funny guess - not what he actually said, because nobody knows what he actually said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom