OT. Alling Memorial Golf | The Boneyard

OT. Alling Memorial Golf

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played 18 there today, New Haven’s muni course. I was glad I did. It’s in great shape, although the greens were a little slow for my taste. I hadn’t played there in a few years. It was fairly busy, but we played a little over 3.5 hours as a 2some. Even the 4some a few holes in front of us didn’t hold anyone up.

The main problem these days is that courses aren’t putting rakes by the traps and very few people seem to be bothering to try and smooth out ball and footprint marks. They look like battle zones.

Reaction Score
Played 18 there today, New Haven’s muni course. I was glad I did. It’s in great shape, although the greens were a little slow for my taste. I hadn’t played there in a few years. It was fairly busy, but we played a little over 3.5 hours as a 2some. Even the 4some a few holes in front of us didn’t hold anyone up.

The main problem these days is that courses aren’t putting rakes by the traps and very few people seem to be bothering to try and smooth out ball and footprint marks. They look like battle zones.
Our course local rule says give yourself a good lie in the middle of the trap. I’ve done that and played it as is... doesn’t matter for my game. Almost always get out ok, but a long way from knowing where it will go.

Reaction Score
Haven't played Alling in ages. Was always a decent lay out, a few areas were hard hat required but it was always decent. Back in the day the Keney of New Haven. (or is it in East Haven?)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Haven't played Alling in ages. Was always a decent lay out, a few areas were hard hat required but it was always decent. Back in the day the Keney of New Haven. (or is it in East Haven?)
I think it’s a bit harder than Keney, mostly due to some protective bunkers and a few forced carries. The new Keney might be easier than the old Keney even with some added bunkers. Most not in play and a lot of trees cut down not forcing as many potential lay ups or chips from the woods.

They are all getting harder for me in my mid 70s. Using white tees these days and my outer limit for 2 good shots in a row is down to maybe 370 or so, down about 80 yards from 15 years ago. Yardage about 5800 is enough for me now and senior tees are looking inviting. I did have an aunt who golfed at age 90.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
66 if i play this year I am going to senior tees
Wimp. 75 for the last few weeks. Most holes these days for me a par is almost always a one putt and not very often. Doubles more likely. I think I hit 2 greens in regulation yesterday and they were very short par 4s. Meaning 330 and less. I think I’d score better from the senior tees but I’m afraid to find out I can’t.;)

Reaction Score
Wimp. 75 for the last few weeks. Most holes these days for me a par is almost always a one putt and not very often. Doubles more likely. I think I hit 2 greens in regulation yesterday and they were very short par 4s. Meaning 330 and less. I think I’d score better from the senior tees but I’m afraid to find out I can’t.;)

Get to the senior tees cohen don't be such a hero. Make it fun again geez you deserve it. Heck you said 5800 yards is about it for you, isn't that the senior tees most places? Im only 60 and I don't enjoy much more than 6500-6600 anymore. Even then I have to hit it pure off the tee to enjoy the day or else it's all about the 54 and 58 degree guys to get it close for a chance to save pars on 440 and longer often.

Walk forward and tee it up, c'mon!

Reaction Score
Get to the senior tees cohen don't be such a hero. Make it fun again geez you deserve it. Heck you said 5800 yards is about it for you, isn't that the senior tees most places? Im only 60 and I don't enjoy much more than 6500-6600 anymore. Even then I have to hit it pure off the tee to enjoy the day or else it's all about the 54 and 58 degree guys to get it close for a chance to save pars on 440 and longer often.

Wish I could... old mens club rules were age + handicap = 85, but had to be 65. New rule this year, age+handicap = 88, but had to be 70.
So I played for a couple years from combo tees (9 white, 9 green/forward). Now I’m stuck on white this year. I’m 70, but my handicap hasn’t crested 18 yet. Won’t be long the way I’m playing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

The guy I play with the most is a hard sell. He’s a couple of years younger and plays way more than I do these days. Not an exaggeration, he might be the biggest golf fanatic in history. He’s played every public course in CT at least once and several private, most RI courses and a bunch in MA and Maine. He takes a least one major week long golf trip a year and often two to some of the best locartions and courses in the US, Canada and Europe When I lived in the Hartford area, we and for stretches a few other pals, were the first or second group every Sat at Keney. We were pretty even then, mostly mid 80s, usually not much higher and occasionally lower. I was always much longer than he with every club but he was more consistent. Now I out drive him once in a while and am still longer with other clubs, but I’ve played 45 holes this year and he’s played almost 200. It’s rare for me to outscore him now, even on a 9, and it’s usually because he’s off a little. He and his wife never had kids so he spends his money on golf.

When we only played as a 2some on Keney Sat, , if we were second off we’d go through the group in front of us on #2, (they were regulars we knew,) and literally finish 18 in about 2.5 hours. We played fast even when we weren’t playing well. One day a guy saw us walk off 18 at a little after 8am and he asked how we could be done with 18 so early. I told him we wanted to sneak back home before our wives woke up.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Alling was the hardest course I played last summer. Maybe it was because I played it on the hottest day of the year, but my score there was the worst I've carded in a few years.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Tee boxes are SO antiquated. They should absolutely be handicapped-based.

We need to keep women's tees, but have sets of tees behind those, based on what you're scoring. 36 is the highest handicap, so tees should be set at 36-26, 25-15, 14-4, and then below 4 plays the tips. Something like this. Some course are moving towards this...Pound Ridge CC in NY is one.

Reaction Score
Tee boxes are SO antiquated. They should absolutely be handicapped-based.

We need to keep women's tees, but have sets of tees behind those, based on what you're scoring. 36 is the highest handicap, so tees should be set at 36-26, 25-15, 14-4, and then below 4 plays the tips. Something like this. Some course are moving towards this...Pound Ridge CC in NY is one.

Pound Ridge? Have you played it? Saw it in a magazine looks excellent but tough.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Pound Ridge? Have you played it? Saw it in a magazine looks excellent but tough.
Never played it but it's on my list. It's on Golfnow for $100 a round. I usually pay $24-$40 where I play, so that's the type of place I will only play once in my life, for the experience. I'm a big fan of the golficity guys on youtube and they love it. That's where I saw that they have tee boxes according to handicaps - the way it should be.

Reaction Score
Never played it but it's on my list. It's on Golfnow for $100 a round. I usually pay $24-$40 where I play, so that's the type of place I will only play once in my life, for the experience. I'm a big fan of the golficity guys on youtube and they love it. That's where I saw that they have tee boxes according to handicaps - the way it should be.

Wintonbury is a Pete Dye course in CT, but I don’t remember handicap based tee boxes there. Something new for him?

Reaction Score
Have you played Centennial? Just past Danbury in NY off 84. I think they have at least 27 holes, so you can switch up different routes. Looks spectacular on the website.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wintonbury is a Pete Dye course in CT, but I don’t remember handicap based tee boxes there. Something new for him?
Good question. I bet the owners of Pound Ridge must have made that decision? I played Wintonbury last month and you’re right - they don’t have this.

Reaction Score
I bought a certificate for $159 at the Big E last year to play four at Fox Hopyard. I played there yesterday with my peeps. The course is my favorite in CT. The course was in excellent condition and provides you with a variety of different challenging holes. My 23 handicap was fodder for this course but I had a blast. I had a par on the downhole 4th hole par 3 and the long par 5 18th hole but blew up on some of the easier holes. I ended with a 98 from the whites which is an average score for this hacker.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I bought a certificate for $159 at the Big E last year to play four at Fox Hopyard. I played there yesterday with my peeps. The course is my favorite in CT. The course was in excellent condition and provides you with a variety of different challenging holes. My 23 handicap was fodder for this course but I had a blast. I had a par on the downhole 3rd hole par 3 and the long par 5 18th hole but blew up on some of the easier holes. I ended with a 98 from the whites which is an average score for this hacker.
That's an awesome price. I go to the Big E every year, religiously - where did you find that?

Reaction Score
I bought a certificate for $159 at the Big E last year to play four at Fox Hopyard. I played there yesterday with my peeps. The course is my favorite in CT. The course was in excellent condition and provides you with a variety of different challenging holes. My 23 handicap was fodder for this course but I had a blast. I had a par on the downhole 4th hole par 3 and the long par 5 18th hole but blew up on some of the easier holes. I ended with a 98 from the whites which is an average score for this hacker.
Try Lake of Isles (North is open to public) at Foxwoods.

Reaction Score
I have played at the Lake of Isles and the TPC Cromwell. For me personally, Fox Hopyard hits the sweet spot in complexity, scenery and layout. The aforementioned are a bit out of my league because of my stubbornness to move down from the white tees. I accept that my high handicap and advancing age (62) may force me someday but I am not ready to concede. :)

Reaction Score
I have played at the Lake of Isles and the TPC Cromwell. For me personally, Fox Hopyard hits the sweet spot in complexity, scenery and layout. The aforementioned are a bit out of my league because of my stubbornness to move down from the white tees. I accept that my high handicap and advancing age (62) may force me someday but I am not ready to concede. :)
I’ve played almost every rendition of TPC/Edgewood. First place I ever played... about 60 years ago. Haven’t played the newest version yet, but it doesn’t compare to Lake of Isles. My biggest regret was missing out on the South course there when it was the public course for 1 year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Expensive though. Played once when I could make all the forced carries from the whites. I don’t think I can handle most of those anymore from those tees. Not sure I want to pay that much anymore.

Reaction Score
Have you played Centennial? Just past Danbury in NY off 84. I think they have at least 27 holes, so you can switch up different routes. Looks spectacular on the website.
I played Centennial (in Carmel, NY) in like 2001 when is was relatively new in a scramble event. Johnny Unitas was the guest host. It was a nice track then and looks even better now on their website via a drone fly-over. It is now a Troon Golf Course, so you can be confident that it is very well maintained. It still does have 27 holes.

I live in Denver and we have a couple of excellent Dye designed courses in the area: Riverdale Dunes which held the US Public Links Tourney and Glenmoor CC (a really difficult short track). The "Dunes" is my favorite course in the local area,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom