OT: Aliyah Boston snubbed at ESPYs; Bob Bueckers tweets support | The Boneyard

OT: Aliyah Boston snubbed at ESPYs; Bob Bueckers tweets support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

https://twitter.com/BobBueckers/status/1548839333171535872?s=20&t=KJFQ6c1cY41KKq8dxqo7lA

Boston was the pre-eminent player in NCAAW last season. And she is delightful. Too bad she couldn't share that on a larger platform.

I doubt this is about WOMEN. However, there is definitely something wrong. A very good Uconn team was beaten by a Boston led team. Without Boston, and with the help of 8 others, South Carolina would not have beaten the under strengthed Uconn. team

Reaction Score
I doubt this is about WOMEN. However, there is definitely something wrong. A very good Uconn team was beaten by a Boston led team. Without Boston, and with the help of 8 others, South Carolina would not have beaten the under strengthed Uconn. team
??? I'm confused. So this is about what?

Reaction Score
I hope that she uses that ESPN slight (real or not) as motivation. If Boston can take her game up another notch, like expanding her game to the perimeter or playing with a chip on her shoulder, women's college basketball is going to have a huge problem on their hands. South Carolina could be like that 1990 UNLV squad win they won the title over Duke in an epic blowout game. We will see what develops out of this whole situation.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I hope that she uses that ESPN slight (real or not) as motivation. If Boston can take her game up another notch, like expanding her game to the perimeter or playing with a chip on her shoulder, women's college basketball is going to have a huge problem on their hands. South Carolina could be like that 1990 UNLV squad win they won the title over Duke in an epic blowout game. We will see what develops out of this whole situation.
Boston is too nice sometimes; I don't think I've ever seen her get mad on the basketball court, but I don't think anyone wants to find out. IMO, if you're nominated for an award, you get invited to the ceremony. It doesn't seem that complicated.

Reaction Score
I am sorry... but can someone fill me in on what the real issue is? Is it that she did not win an award? Is it because she was not invited to be there live? Were all people who were up for awards there live? Who won? Was that person less deserving? Sometimes the person who should win doesn't. Reminds me of when they gave Alana Beard an award over DT. But before I comment further I guess I would like to know more of the context in which she was slighted/snubbed.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
There were quite a few awards that were not televised, therefore, nominees were not invited. I think ESPN did an about face, but too late. Something something smaller venue, covid protocols, but ESPN did find room to invite a bunch of non-athlete "celebs"

Reaction Score
??? I'm confused. So this is about what?
A simple statement, please review the original, then we'll communicate. However, I do believe Boston, as an Athlete, deserved better from ESPY.

Reaction Score
I am sorry... but can someone fill me in on what the real issue is? Is it that she did not win an award? Is it because she was not invited to be there live? Were all people who were up for awards there live? Who won? Was that person less deserving? Sometimes the person who should win doesn't. Reminds me of when they gave Alana Beard an award over DT. But before I comment further I guess I would like to know more of the context in which she was slighted/snubbed.
Some of us Uconn fans are trying to take the higher road, i.e. supporting a very good competitor, without whom some feel Uconn may have won the NC. I'm a believer, that once the dust of the loss has settled, demeaning the winners takes away the level Uconn played with in that loss. I respect these Uconn ladies too much to not have a good word for South Carolina and or Boston.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In reality there should be no higher road. There is only one road. Boston has been the best forward in WCBB for 4 years now and it's about time these media people outside of the Carolina's gave her the props she deserves. A disgrace. I just hope her sunny disposition doesn't disappear against UConn because of this.

Reaction Score
Some of us Uconn fans are trying to take the higher road, i.e. supporting a very good competitor, without whom some feel Uconn may have won the NC. I'm a believer, that once the dust of the loss has settled, demeaning the winners takes away the level Uconn played with in that loss. I respect these Uconn ladies too much to not have a good word for South Carolina and or Boston.
I am sorry I am lost with your comments. You still have not answered my question as to why people are upset. Did she not win? Was it because she was not invited?

And what is with this crap of "Some of us".... no one is putting down Boston.... Being an Alumni of UCONN for 20 years, and a fan for longer, I appreciate anyone who is a fan of the teams. No one is demeaning Boston on this board in this thread. So, going back to the question, what is it that is the issue?

Reaction Score
In reality there should be no higher road. There is only one road. Boston has been the best forward in WCBB for 4 years now and it's about time these media people outside of the Carolina's gave her the props she deserves. A disgrace. I just hope her sunny disposition doesn't disappear against UConn because of this.
4 years? She has not played her senior season yet... so three years.
I still do not see where people are slighting her here.....

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am sorry I am lost with your comments. You still have not answered my question as to why people are upset. Did she not win? Was it because she was not invited?

And what is with this crap of "Some of us".... no one is putting down Boston.... Being an Alumni of UCONN for 20 years, and a fan for longer, I appreciate anyone who is a fan of the teams. No one is demeaning Boston on this board in this thread. So, going back to the question, what is it that is the issue?
It had nothing to do with not winning, it had to do with nominees not being invited for what were clearly bogus reasons.

Reaction Score
it's not about the Espys, believe me the awards show is a joke. After the Caitlyn Jenner Espn showed they only care about getting ratings. Stop using covid as an excuse, sure didn't seem like limited space last year when you were in New York and you invited the whole Tampa bay bucs team. Good that that was the worst rated show in Espys history, shows that people are done with the garbage shown on Espn. Ratings were so bad an auto racing show beat them. Point being, over 200 people were invited last year. Pretty sure covid was worse last year than this, I mean basketball tournaments were played in a bubble but this season they were played in sold out arenas yet Covid was the reason please.

Reaction Score
4 years? She has not played her senior season yet... so three years.
I still do not see where people are slighting her here.....
And sadly, you won't see where Ms. Boston felt slighted or where people have stated their reasons why, because you choose not to see why or how Ms. Boston felt slighted, even though the answer is staring at you. And really? You are nitpicking over someone saying 4 years? SMH

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I'm late to the table, but can anyone say with certainty that Ms Boston was not invited. Do we know the circumstances, or are we assuming things without all the facts? just asking cause I don't know. What I do know is that the young lady in question had a fantastic season, her team won it all, she received every BB award she could possibly garner. So sometimes we pick at a nitt until it bleeds, is this something that really matters to the BY members. I'm sure that the sun will come up tomorrow, Ms Boston will not be scared from this perceived slight and some of us are making a bigger deal about this than Ms Boston is JMO.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
It may be that it saved Aliyah from having a national TV audience see her dismay when she wasn't the winner at the ceremony.

Kathy Ledecky was the winner. She has won six Olympic individual gold medals and 14 world championship individual gold medals, the most in history for a female swimmer.

I wonder what the conversation would be now, if Aliyah had been there. I'm guessing that there would be many throwing shade Kathy Ledecky's way...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It may be that it saved Aliyah from having a national TV audience see her dismay when she wasn't the winner at the ceremony.

Kathy Ledecky was the winner. She has won six Olympic individual gold medals and 14 world championship individual gold medals, the most in history for a female swimmer.

I wonder what the conversation would be now, if Aliyah had been there. I'm guessing that there would be many throwing shade Kathy Ledecky's way...
Ledecky did not win best female college athlete; Oklahoma softball player Jocelyn Alo won the award over Aliyah Boston.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Ledecky did not win best female college athlete; Oklahoma softball player Jocelyn Alo won the award over Aliyah Boston.

Thanks @UConnCat, I stand corrected. Totally impressed with Jocelyn's amazing accomplishments.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
it's not about the Espys, believe me the awards show is a joke. After the Caitlyn Jenner Espn showed they only care about getting ratings. Stop using covid as an excuse, sure didn't seem like limited space last year when you were in New York and you invited the whole Tampa bay bucs team. Good that that was the worst rated show in Espys history, shows that people are done with the garbage shown on Espn. Ratings were so bad an auto racing show beat them. Point being, over 200 people were invited last year. Pretty sure covid was worse last year than this, I mean basketball tournaments were played in a bubble but this season they were played in sold out arenas yet Covid was the reason please.
People are upset ESPN didn’t invite Boston but they forget this is the network that shows endless hours of cornhole or poker rather than women’s sports. They know viewers will watch Stef Curry or anything football but don’t care about women’s sports

Having said that, the uproar, as Dawn calls it, is righteous. ESPN won’t change until it shown it has to. People need to speak out.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thanks @UConnCat, I stand corrected. Totally impressed with Jocelyn's amazing accomplishments.
Jocelyn's and Ledecky's accomplishments were at least as amazing as those of Ms Boston. Plus they were also the accomplishments of female athletes. I am a fan of female sports and the participants the awards one receives in no way diminish the accomplishments of another. Of the three athletes mentioned I would pick Ms Ledecky and Jocelyn over what Ms Boston was able to accomplish. My first choice would have been Ledecky, winning Olympic gold and setting world records. All three athletes deserve recognition and have received it.

Reaction Score
People are upset ESPN didn’t invite Boston but they forget this is the network that shows endless hours of cornhole or poker rather than women’s sports. They know viewers will watch Stef Curry or anything football but don’t care about women’s sports

Having said that, the uproar, as Dawn calls it, is righteous. ESPN won’t change until it shown it has to. People need to speak out.
also idk if you saw the post game conference with Dawn with the Espn crew after they won the ntl title, she said that one of the problems is nobody fights for the women's tv contract for the tournament. She says Espn does a good job, but she'd like to see Fox or Cbs bid for the rights of the tournament. I'm sure that ruffled some feathers at Espn headquarters. Am hoping that is not going to be bad blood going forward.

Reaction Score
Thank you for finally addressing the question at hand, and that is why she was snubbed. Now, not trying to take anything away from her, but how many other athletes were not invited to the ESPY's.... And when I ask this question, I am asking for years past as well as this current year. While I think Ms. Boston had an amazing year last year, and think she is one of the best centers out there.... I am curious what the real reason why Dawn was so upset.... if this has happened in the past and is a common practice or was it just Boston who this impacted....

Reaction Score
Thank you for finally addressing the question at hand, and that is why she was snubbed. Now, not trying to take anything away from her, but how many other athletes were not invited to the ESPY's.... And when I ask this question, I am asking for years past as well as this current year. While I think Ms. Boston had an amazing year last year, and think she is one of the best centers out there.... I am curious what the real reason why Dawn was so upset.... if this has happened in the past and is a common practice or was it just Boston who this impacted....
2021 Paige poy, lost in semis to Arz - invited
2022- Boston- poy, ntl champion - not invited

does that clear it up for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members