OT - Airlines, your favorite? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Airlines, your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was wondering about that $12.00 extra... is it worth it?
It is to me. Nowadays SW sells a some its seats as Business Select fares which come with front-of-the-line positioning, and a lot of other passengers are buying the $12 automatic check-in option. So even when you spend the $12 for automatic check-in, you still usually just get a high A or low B position. A B number guarantees you won't get a middle seat (1/3 are A, 1/3 are B, 1/3 are C, and 1/3 each are aisle, window and middle - doh). And a low B number usually means you can get an aisle since some people ahead of you will sit together. If you take your chances and try to check in at the earliest time 24 hours before your flight, a ton of positions are already taken by the Business Select and automatic check-in passengers, so you sometimes still just get a C position.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is to me. Nowadays SW sells a some its seats as Business Select fares which come with front-of-the-line positioning, and a lot of other passengers are buying the $12 automatic check-in option. So even when you spend the $12 for automatic check-in, you still usually just get a high A or low B position. A B number guarantees you won't get a middle seat (1/3 are A, 1/3 are B, 1/3 are C, and 1/3 each are aisle, window and middle - doh). And a low B number usually means you can get an aisle since some people ahead of you will sit together. If you take your chances and try to check in at the earliest time 24 hours before your flight, a ton of positions are already taken by the Business Select and automatic check-in passengers, so you sometimes still just get a C position.
good to know, debating if I want to pull the trigger on the 12.50 each way fee... which goes up to $15.00 around March 15th

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't fly any more domestically, because I came to hate the process so. My experiences were primarily with what "was" Continental.

However, a few years ago we celebrated our 25th in Hawai'i and flew Hawai'ian Airlines. It was a good experience, although I admit we flew first class due to my wife's health issues. My only complaint was over the fees for overweight bags.

Would be interesting to see a thread some time about airports. My wife had the most awful experience in the Florence, SC airport last year, when bringing her Mom to Arizona to relocate.
I usually find small airports pretty nice - short distances, less hassle, and smaller crowds. For big cities:
Miami drives me nuts and can be absolutely swamped. I actually liked Chicago as an airport, but afternoon flights always seemed to be delayed because it is so busy that any little wind or rain stops flights for 15 minutes and they can never catch back up.
NYC - all airports are the pits
Boston - not bad, and they have opened a number of actually good restaurants if you need to eat.
SF not bad either and I love my Pete's coffee!

I find the experience coming back into the US from foreign parts to be really depressing - US airports are generally substandard and very old compared to pretty much anywhere in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East - that is especially true landing in NYC - just awful!

I highly recommend people register for the TSA Known traveler program if they travel at all frequently - much easier security and less crowded lines flying domestically and automatic kiosks when coming in from abroad. I think it cost about $400 (one time fee) though some credit cards reimburse the fee and it probably saves 30 minutes to and hour on every round trip domestically and on every return entry into the US. It is an application followed by an 'interview' that is really just a chance to take your fingerprints and photo and make sure the application was completed accurately. I did it three years ago and can't imagine traveling without it now.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Favorite: Southwest - Best non-stop connections to New England from central Florida. Informal flight crew. No reserved seats. Good rates. Frequent flights. Checked bags are FREE!!!

Worst: Please note that I don't fly very frequently on airlines other than Southwest, so my pic for worst in not based on many flights. Its Jet Blue.

I bought 6 tickets to Disney last week. Southwest was the best deal but they will still suck.

My least favorite US airports - Philadelphia, Logan and Kennedy but the list could be way longer.
Favorites - Honolulu 'cause it smells so good, Leonardo da Vinci 'cause it's full of Italian women and Providence 'cause it's so convenient.

Least favorite foreign - Tocumen in Panama because it's staffed by officious little banana republic bureaucrats.

Reaction Score
The last time I flew Southwest I didn't get a seat assignment it was kind of like a free for all to get a seat when I boarded. Was that a one time thing or is that how it's done, I really didn't like that method

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The last time I flew Southwest I didn't get a seat assignment it was kind of like a free for all to get a seat when I boarded. Was that a one time thing or is that how it's done, I really didn't like that method
that's how its done from what I'm reading, that's why the Early Bird pass is important... from what I'm understanding

Reaction Score
that's how its done from what I'm reading, that's why the Early Bird pass is important... from what I'm understanding

There are NO assigned seats on Southwest. First come, first to board. Except, for an additional fee, you can be placed toward the front of the line.

Reaction Score
There are NO assigned seats on Southwest. First come, first to board. Except, for an additional fee, you can be placed toward the front of the line.
It's not really that simple. You are assigned a number, based on the order in which you checked in. Right before boarding you line up in a well- marked queue line, and everyone boards in the sequence of their boarding numbers. Once you get in the plane then it' sit wherever you want.

Reaction Score
I go to New Orleans 3-4 times a month, and I will only fly Southwest. They are almost always on time, often even early, which is the most important consideration to me. With their Business Select, for a few extra bucks I'm guaranteed A1-A15 seating, so I can get the extra bulkhead leg-room I need. That also means quick on/quick off. Boarding is not the chaos one person described; it's an orderly system, and I love the convenience of using my iphone rather than needing a printed ticket (not unique to SW, but super handy.)

I can't remember the last time I had a complaint with Southwest. They do a really good job. (And no, I don't work for them.)

Reaction Score
I go to New Orleans 3-4 times a month, and I will only fly Southwest. They are almost always on time, often even early, which is the most important consideration to me. With their Business Select, for a few extra bucks I'm guaranteed A1-A15 seating, so I can get the extra bulkhead leg-room I need. That also means quick on/quick off. Boarding is not the chaos one person described; it's an orderly system, and I love the convenience of using my iphone rather than needing a printed ticket (not unique to SW, but super handy.)

I can't remember the last time I had a complaint with Southwest. They do a really good job. (And no, I don't work for them.)
Regardless of whether or not individuals prefer their boarding drill, it really can't be argued that Southwest isn't the best RUN airline. They really have it figured out.

Reaction Score
It's not really that simple. You are assigned a number, based on the order in which you checked in. Right before boarding you line up in a well- marked queue line, and everyone boards in the sequence of their boarding numbers. Once you get in the plane then it' sit wherever you want.
You are correct j66. But I believe the boarding number is assigned when the boarding passes are printed. You can print boarding passes starting 24 hours before the flight. The sooner you print the boarding pass, the better your boarding position will be.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and people that pay the extra fee gets a 12 hr on those who don't pay the extra fee Southwest

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
took a Southwest flight from Hartford to Fort Lauderdale over the Memorial Day wknd (from Thursday til Tues), paid the early check-in fee (12.50 at the time, now its 15.00 each way). Going down I had A-25 and A-26... coming back to Hartford I had A-22 A-23, other family members of mine where in the B's and C's. Glad I paid the extra fee (just more seating options).
Boarding we lined up with no problems on a "full" plane. last person on plane could actually get a great seat if they're flying solo and dont mind sitting between people (my case both ways).
The sexy stewardess thing isnt true anymore... just a few guys in shorts and polo tees.

Snacks were "plane" cookies, pretzels and cheese nips... drinks were water, juice, soda and they offered "adult" beverages on the way back (7:30pm flight).

Non-stop flights both ways... had to hang around in the air both ways due to arriving earlier than our 3hr flight schedule.

No TV's in the headrest, but you could log onto TV using a "smart" device if you had one... also WiFi was available for about $8.00.

TSA lines were ok... no hassle.

Airports do not have enough waiting seats or "charging stations" for your mobile devices.

overall it was cool flying Southwest

Reaction Score
Don't think I've flown anything but SWA for at least 4 years.
Never a complaint and I've never paid for the early checkin.
Just checkin online exactly 24 hrs in advance and expect high A or low B priority, which gets you an aisle or window.
Been fortunate to periodically snag TSA pre check, which is sweet. ❤️

Reaction Score
I have such low expectations for ANY airline operator these days. Between the TSA experience and the ever-changing baggage/carry-on rules (read niggling extra charges), I only ask that they get me to my destination more-or-less on time. Given some advance warning, I'm usually able to get the best available fare.
I try to adopt a Zen-like kind of trance for the entire flight. Heck, when we flew to London recently, I swapped my aisle seat so I could sit in the middle next to my wife. (No dammit, I will NOT pay over $50. extra to select a seat ahead of time) .
As someone else mentioned: if I'm able time-wise, I'll drive to any client east of the Mississippi. Bonus, my wife is able to come along (and keep me out of trouble<G>).

Reaction Score
Southwest. Two free checked bags. No charge for carry-on. Pick your seats. Good non-stop connections from MCO to BDL and PVD. Points with Southwest VISA card.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Don't think I've flown anything but SWA for at least 4 years.
Never a complaint and I've never paid for the early checkin.
Just checkin online exactly 24 hrs in advance and expect high A or low B priority, which gets you an aisle or window.
Been fortunate to periodically snag TSA pre check, which is sweet. ❤️
how do you snag it once in a while... I thought it was a deal of $80.00 for the year or 5 yrs?

Early Bird check-in starts at 36hrs... you just cant see or print it til the 24hr mark

Reaction Score
I must confess. If Southwest does not fly there, then neither do I. Will not pay for bags. I reside close to Hartford and Providence so it gives me a good selection of flights to choose from.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have such low expectations for ANY airline operator these days. Between the TSA experience and the ever-changing baggage/carry-on rules (read niggling extra charges), I only ask that they get me to my destination more-or-less on time. Given some advance warning, I'm usually able to get the best available fare.
I try to adopt a Zen-like kind of trance for the entire flight. Heck, when we flew to London recently, I swapped my aisle seat so I could sit in the middle next to my wife. (No dammit, I will NOT pay over $50. extra to select a seat ahead of time) .
As someone else mentioned: if I'm able time-wise, I'll drive to any client east of the Mississippi. Bonus, my wife is able to come along (and keep me out of trouble<G>).
I say if you paying 500-800 for a flight, 50.00 more for better comfort isnt a big deal

Reaction Score
how do you snag it once in a while... I thought it was a deal of $80.00 for the year or 5 yrs?

Early Bird check-in starts at 36hrs... you just cant see or print it til the 24hr mark
I have never signed up for precheck. But, more often than not, my boarding pass has "Pre" printed on it and they waive me to the precheck lane.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We also get TSA pre check on most flights. I wonder if it's because we're seniors?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I have never signed up for precheck. But, more often than not, my boarding pass has "Pre" printed on it and they waive me to the precheck lane.
so you dont print from home, or the Kiosk on the side... to avoid the check-in lines? I checked at the 36hr mark, say my spot but wasnt near a printer so I waited til I got to the airport... went to a computer inputted my confirmation number and it print.
only waited at TSA which wasnt bad at 6am or so... got in the boarding line when the A's were called up.
for the extra 30.00 (15 each way) they do the check in for you 12hrs earlier than the rest.

I'd pay the early bird fee every time I fly... just to avoid the lines and have to better choice of seat

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
We also get TSA pre check on most flights. I wonder if it's because we're seniors?
whats the benefit of the TSA pre-check... shorter line and private patdown?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I must confess. If Southwest does not fly there, then neither do I. Will not pay for bags. I reside close to Hartford and Providence so it gives me a good selection of flights to choose from.
no fee... is a great perk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS