OT - Airlines, your favorite? | The Boneyard

OT - Airlines, your favorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
which one do you like, use the most, best perks, customers service, "on time" rate?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is parity in air travel. All of the airlines suck equally.

I used to enjoy flying, as much as a dozen or more trips a year. I remember when it was a comfortable, relaxing way to travel. Now it's as bad as taking the bus. Except if you get seated next to a fat guy with bad breath and gas on a bus, you can get off.

Of course if I could afford 1st class I might have a different attitude. ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I use AA most because they have the best schedules into and out of the places i am going most frequently, but ...

Emirates is pretty fabulous for international travel and occasionally have spectacular specials. And if you ever get a chance on the A380 in business class it is like most anyone else first class with a bar area and fresh hors d'oeuvres throughout the flight - best coffee I ever had in flight as well with on demand espresso, and the one time I got upgraded to first class, I had the pleasure of taking a shower at 40,000 feet!!!

But ... yeah pretty much all of them are as bad as all of the others domestically.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Virgin America domestically is not bad. Better than UA, AA etc. but limited service area.
Agree with UcMiami, internationally Emirates is nice even in economy.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I used to love a small airline called Midwest Airlines (formerly Midwest Express). It was formed by the Kimberly Clark Corporation (think Kleenex and other paper products). They matched other airlines fares but also served free alcohol and free (great) meals on their flights. It was always steak or seafood as main course, with either wine during the day or champagne at breakfast. And their (all-leather) seats were wider, with every seat being either an aisle seat or a window seat. They would claim that all their seats were first class. And they would deliver hot chocolate chip cookies on a napkin for a snack. Anyone remember them?

Now I usually travel Southwest but I don't really like any airlines.

Reaction Score
Southwest is the one I dislike the least. Flying isn't what it used to be; herding would be a more accurate term. I no longer fly anywhere that would require less than two days to drive.

Ain't that the truth. I remember that flying used to be an event. As a child I wore dresses and white gloves. And they used to give out cigarettes on the plane. That's how old I am!

Reaction Score
which one do you like, use the most, best perks, customers service, "on time" rate?
Being overseas for 7+ years means I'm not too sure about the US airlines (except that they rank below most of the better international airlines and that AA is the worst of the bunch). Internationally, I like Singapore Air, All Nippon Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific. I used to have Korean Air in the preceding group, but their excruciating boarding procedures out of Incheon have dropped them in my opinion. For Europe my favorite is Lufthansa. Let me tell you, there's nothing like a 12-14 hour nonstop flight to make you appreciate good service!

HGN

Reaction Score
British Air for international.........I fly United Airlines for domestic only because I am a 30 year member of their loyalty program. But their in flight service is getting worse every year .

Reaction Score
I'm on Jet Blue weekly mostly good service, at times the boarding process is completely overrun by passengers that completely ignore the process and totally crowd the entrance area. Other than that I enjoy the free T V and Wifi and the aircraft is usually in good shape

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't fly any more domestically, because I came to hate the process so. My experiences were primarily with what "was" Continental.

However, a few years ago we celebrated our 25th in Hawai'i and flew Hawai'ian Airlines. It was a good experience, although I admit we flew first class due to my wife's health issues. My only complaint was over the fees for overweight bags.

Would be interesting to see a thread some time about airports. My wife had the most awful experience in the Florence, SC airport last year, when bringing her Mom to Arizona to relocate.

Reaction Score
I used to love a small airline called Midwest Airlines (formerly Midwest Express). It was formed by the Kimberly Clark Corporation (think Kleenex and other paper products). They matched other airlines fares but also served free alcohol and free (great) meals on their flights. It was always steak or seafood as main course, with either wine during the day or champagne at breakfast. And their (all-leather) seats were wider, with every seat being either an aisle seat or a window seat. They would claim that all their seats were first class. And they would deliver hot chocolate chip cookies on a napkin for a snack. Anyone remember them?

Now I usually travel Southwest but I don't really like any airlines.
Lived in Milwaukee for 5 years and flew Midwest a lot - very nice. Singapore Air is the best IMO.

Reaction Score
Being overseas for 7+ years means I'm not too sure about the US airlines (except that they rank below most of the better international airlines and that AA is the worst of the bunch). Internationally, I like Singapore Air, All Nippon Airlines, Emirates, Cathay Pacific. I used to have Korean Air in the preceding group, but their excruciating boarding procedures out of Incheon have dropped them in my opinion. For Europe my favorite is Lufthansa. Let me tell you, there's nothing like a 12-14 hour nonstop flight to make you appreciate good service!

Lufthansa

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't fly any more domestically, because I came to hate the process so. My experiences were primarily with what "was" Continental.

However, a few years ago we celebrated our 25th in Hawai'i and flew Hawai'ian Airlines. It was a good experience, although I admit we flew first class due to my wife's health issues. My only complaint was over the fees for overweight bags.

Would be interesting to see a thread some time about airports. My wife had the most awful experience in the Florence, SC airport last year, when bringing her Mom to Arizona to relocate.
We can talk about airports here... what cha' got?

Reaction Score
Favorite: Southwest - Best non-stop connections to New England from central Florida. Informal flight crew. No reserved seats. Good rates. Frequent flights. Checked bags are FREE!!!

Worst: Please note that I don't fly very frequently on airlines other than Southwest, so my pic for worst in not based on many flights. Its Jet Blue.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Qantas-----When I flew to Australia in 2014 they had an old movies channel. I watched Casablanca 5 times on the flight. I did get a few hours sleep during the non watching time.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We can talk about airports here... what cha' got?
My personal experiences are probably out of date. Although I flew to a limited number of locations, I always liked O'Hare (note that it was a beginning / end point, I wasn't changing flights). Most of the airports I didn't like was due to bad locations (for my work, anyhow) with Logan one of the worst.

I have taken and picked up a number of folks at Sky Harbor in Phoenix - all in the same terminal, I think - and have found it very, very nice, but I've never been to the gates but for Hawai'i and I don't remember.

We picked up the wife's aunt (and dropped her off) in Myrtle Beach last year for her father's funeral, and that was a nice little airport. Treated Aunt Mary (wheelchair) very well (less than 2-3 minutes at security) and let my wife go to the gate with her to get her settled. Compare Florence, where there were no baggage handlers, all but strip searched my mother-in-law even with pre-clearance (wheelchair as well) and my wife said it was a dump. Couldn't help but wonder if poverty of area (Florence very depressed, Myrtle Beach golfing destination) affects the air ports.

As Nan said, a better off-season topic, perhaps.

Reaction Score
Southwest. Two bags free ( one of which may be golf bag), and for $12 you pretty much get to sit where you wish. Best single experience, though, was BOA on a flight to London. We were late to check-in, they gave our seats away, but ended up "sticking" us in first class. First class is nice. Never was there before, don't expect to be there again anytime soon.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Southwest. Two bags free ( one of which may be golf bag), and for $12 you pretty much get to sit where you wish. Best single experience, though, was BOA on a flight to London. We were late to check-in, they gave our seats away, but ended up "sticking" us in first class. First class is nice. Never was there before, don't expect to be there again anytime soon.
I was wondering about that $12.00 extra... is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom