OT: Africa (and not the Toto song) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Africa (and not the Toto song)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Africa is on my must-do list, hopefully soon before I get too much older. I'm doing the Safari thing, and another must is to go white water rafting on the Zambezi River and to see Victoria Falls. The Zambezi River has perhaps the craziest white water rafting in the world! Check out some of the videos on Youtube.

Reaction Score
I specialize more in the hell-holes of Africa, not the places one would like to visit. If you go to Lagos be sure and avoid Festac Town after dark,

Reaction Score
Speaking of African hell holes, a couple of CT natives and friends of mine from Staples high school in Westport were 2 of the 4 journalists kidnapped a few years back in Libya. Tyler Hicks just got his 3rd Pulitzer and the role of fellow photojournalist Lindsey Addario will be played by Jennifer Lawrence in an upcoming Spielberg movie.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
@Jay-Bone I am writing this from Africa right now! Just finishing a 2 week tour of South Africa and it has been amazing. Can't recommend it enough. Cape Town and the surrounding wine country are just awesome. We rented a driver for the day and including 4 wine tastings and lunch it was $100 for the day. Table Mountain is incredible and the seaport area has great restaurants. We then travelled out west and did safari in Kruger National Park and Karongwe Private reserve. Saw all of the big 5. The animals are just so amazing to see out in the wild. Karongwe is fancy but it was the best place we stayed. You can hear all the animals near the camp at night and some even make their way in. It is the best trip I've ever been on and it was very affordable. A fancy dinner with drinks is about $30. About to leave for the airport but if you want more info let me know and I'll get you more details when I get back. Can't recommend it enough.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
where's the best pizza in Africa? Or should that be a new thread?
LOL and I bet it gets 1300 posts. Please don't ask about the beer. That could mean an additional 2000.

Reaction Score
LOL and I bet it gets 1300 posts. Please don't ask about the beer. That could mean an additional 2000.

I'm guessing you can get some big wings on a safari. Although some would have little to no meat left and the competition for them may be way over your head.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you can get some big wings on a safari. Although some would have little to no meat left and the competition for them may be way over your head.
ostrich.jpg

Take care not to get too close - I've heard these birds have quite a kick, even without the buffalo wing sauce ;)

Reaction Score
Went to Tanzania a couple years ago, loved it, Zanzibar is awesome and so is the Serengeti. Highly recommend.

Reaction Score
@Jay-Bone I am writing this from Africa right now! Just finishing a 2 week tour of South Africa and it has been amazing. Can't recommend it enough. Cape Town and the surrounding wine country are just awesome. We rented a driver for the day and including 4 wine tastings and lunch it was $100 for the day. Table Mountain is incredible and the seaport area has great restaurants. We then travelled out west and did safari in Kruger National Park and Karongwe Private reserve. Saw all of the big 5. The animals are just so amazing to see out in the wild. Karongwe is fancy but it was the best place we stayed. You can hear all the animals near the camp at night and some even make their way in. It is the best trip I've ever been on and it was very affordable. A fancy dinner with drinks is about $30. About to leave for the airport but if you want more info let me know and I'll get you more details when I get back. Can't recommend it enough.

Wow, what a coincidence! This sounds like its scratching me right where I itch. I'm getting on a plane, pick me up at the airport.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
If you want to meet real life pirates, take a trip to the coast of Somalia.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
If you want to meet real life pirates, take a trip to the coast of Somalia.
Eh, wouldn't it be easier to go to the Capitol building when Congress is in session? I admit you meet a better class of pirate in Somalia.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
ostrich.jpg

Take care not to get too close - I've heard these birds have quite a kick, even without the buffalo wing sauce ;)

Their legs hitch forward so be sure to attack them from behind. You can literally grab their tails and steer them around and they can't do anything about it. I've done it. Whatever you do, don't get in front of them. They have one huge claw like something out of a horror film.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score

Concur with Penfield, South Africa is going to give you the best bang for the buck on safari and off, and the addition of Capetown and the wine country (Franschoek is great) makes it pretty unique. It is a long- flight however.

Reaction Score

I'll bite, there is a place in Hazyview up near Kruger where I had a BBQ sparerib pizza (along with some other toppings). It was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom