OT: Abbey Wambach sucker punched! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Abbey Wambach sucker punched!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the move by wambach to impede andrade's progress is good soccer, but it caused the contact, and the resulting loss of temper(and 2 games) for andrade.

What Wambach did is perfectly legal since she had 1/2 step on Andrade. All she did was a slight change of direction to head straight towards goal. If Andrade is bothered to this extent by every legal move that causes contact, then she will have a very short soccer career.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
the move by wambach to impede andrade's progress is good soccer, but it caused the contact, and the resulting loss of temper(and 2 games) for andrade.

Well I doubt Abby was trying to impede Lady's progress. USA was on the break. She was trying to get into the box for a cross. She might have been trying to keep her from getting inside of her. But her objective was to beat her into the box, not slow her down from getting there. I could see that if Abby was playing defense at the time, but she wasn't.

Reaction Score
FIFA issued a 2 game suspension for the offender. Not enough in my books. she should be booted from the games.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FIFA issued a 2 game suspension for the offender. Not enough in my books. she should be booted from the games.
Well Colombia most likely has only one more game left. I doubt they make the knockout rounds. She will probably have to serve the other suspension in the CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifications. Unless they have some other competitions prior to that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and here's yet more background story on Solo and Chastain. Love Abby's quote at the end. She gets it.
Have to disagree. I don't think she gets it. I think she just has a different feeling towards them. She was closer to them, played a lot with them. She is kind of the connection between the 99ers and the new generation. As good as the 99ers were, some of them hung on too long and really brought down the team.

Reaction Score
What Wambach did is perfectly legal since she had 1/2 step on Andrade. All she did was a slight change of direction to head straight towards goal. If Andrade is bothered to this extent by every legal move that causes contact, then she will have a very short soccer career.

i said it was good soccer, nothing illegal. a slight change of direction that would have given her position on andrade.

Reaction Score
i said it was good soccer, nothing illegal. a slight change of direction that would have given her position on andrade.

Yes, but you also said: "the move by wambach to impede andrade's progress is good soccer, but it caused the contact, and the resulting loss of temper(and 2 games) for andrade" . . . which led to my post about Andrade, i.e. that if a perfectly normal soccer play - one which happens a hundred times in a normal game -causes her to lose her temper and sucker punch an opponent, then she won't have a very long career.

BTW, your earlier post implied Wambach may have done something illegal, when you talked about her obstructing Andrade and supposedly raising her elbow (which she didn't). (Obstruction is the old soccer terminology for the foul that is now called impeding.)

Reaction Score
Yes, but you also said: "the move by wambach to impede andrade's progress is good soccer, but it caused the contact, and the resulting loss of temper(and 2 games) for andrade" . . . which led to my post about Andrade, i.e. that if a perfectly normal soccer play - one which happens a hundred times in a normal game -causes her to lose her temper and sucker punch an opponent, then she won't have a very long career.

BTW, your earlier post implied Wambach may have done something illegal, when you talked about her obstructing Andrade and supposedly raising her elbow (which she didn't). (Obstruction is the old soccer terminology for the foul that is now called impeding.)

upon looking further at the video, i must correct myself. i still think it's a good move by wambach, but a referee on the spot probably would have to call her for impeding andrade, and give colombia an indirect. it just seems clear to me that abby moved into andrade's path. an indirect is not dangerous at that point on the field, therefore, abby's move to impede andrade makes good sense. and is pretty common in the game.
i don't think that the video is clear enough for you to say that she didn't raise her elbow, but that's not important anyway.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Impeding Andrade you are kidding, right? The US is on offense and Abby Wambaugh is moving into position. I am not even sure she saw Andrade since she never really turns her head that direction since she is focussed on the team's offensive play ahead of her. She and Andrade are on intersecting paths with Wambaugh in the advance position when Andrade runs up on her from behind and first grabs Abby's right shoulder/arm turning Abby's right arm back, no elbow thrown and then swings from Abby's right with Andrade's right with a roundhouse to Abby's right eye with a closed fist from a semi-blindside position.

Reaction Score
Impeding Andrade you are kidding, right? The US is on offense and Abby Wambaugh is moving into position. She and Andrade are on intersecting paths with Wambaugh in the advance position when Andrade runs up on her from behind and first grabs Abby's left shoulder and then swings from Abby's right with a roundhouse to Abby's right eye with a closed fist.

Ice, you have to understand that soccer fans are used to seeing athlete's fall writhing to the ground in a stiff breeze...that have no idea what actual physical contact looks like...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
upon looking further at the video, i must correct myself. i still think it's a good move by wambach, but a referee on the spot probably would have to call her for impeding andrade, and give colombia an indirect. it just seems clear to me that abby moved into andrade's path. an indirect is not dangerous at that point on the field, therefore, abby's move to impede andrade makes good sense. and is pretty common in the game.
i don't think that the video is clear enough for you to say that she didn't raise her elbow, but that's not important anyway.
Abby would not have been impeding Lady. No reason to. Abby was trying to get into the box. She wouldn't have been wasting time trying to impede Lady. You don't impede someone when you are on a break in the offensive third of the field.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ice, you have to understand that soccer fans are used to seeing athlete's fall writhing to the ground in a stiff breeze...that have no idea what actual physical contact looks like...
I cleaned up my description as it miss stated left when I meant right.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Abby would not have been impeding Lady. No reason to. Abby was trying to get into the box. She wouldn't have been wasting time trying to impede Lady. You don't impede someone when you are on a break in the offensive third of the field.
Exactly, but she's no l(L)ady. :D

Reaction Score

6 things.

1) dumb post
2) dumb post
3) dumb post
4) dumb post
5) How does one get a black eye from impeding?
6) dumb post

punchafter.jpg

Reaction Score
I cleaned up my description as it miss stated left when I meant right.

It was a blatant and premeditated punch...surprising only because it was a punch...usually this stuff is much more subtle. I'm sure Lady Andrade will be getting some proper coaching from the men's team...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Cardfan, I have to agree that those are two good articles on the Solo-Chastain thing. Those of us who follow the Red Sox might see a lot of personality similarities between Hope Solo and Josh Beckett.

Others (like myself) see similarities in the negative reaction of many Boneyarders to Chastain to their negative reaction to posters here who offer any slightly adverse opinion about any member of the UConn WCBB team. Cheerleading for the home team will always be more popular than criticism, even when it is well justified.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Impeding Andrade you are kidding, right? The US is on offense and Abby Wambaugh is moving into position. I am not even sure she saw Andrade since she never really turns her head that direction since she is focussed on the team's offensive play ahead of her. She and Andrade are on intersecting paths with Wambaugh in the advance position when Andrade runs up on her from behind and first grabs Abby's right shoulder/arm turning Abby's right arm back, no elbow thrown and then swings from Abby's right with Andrade's right with a roundhouse to Abby's right eye with a closed fist from a semi-blindside position.

no kidding here, ice. certainly an attacker might impede a defender, if that defender is making up a whole lot of ground, which lady seemed to be. you don't really think that abby would have to turn her head to know a player is coming up on her? i don't see them on intersecting paths. abby moved over. which was a good move, until lady lost it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
no kidding here, ice. certainly an attacker might impede a defender, if that defender is making up a whole lot of ground, which lady seemed to be. you don't really think that abby would have to turn her head to know a player is coming up on her? i don't see them on intersecting paths. abby moved over. which was a good move, until lady lost it.
No, I don't, and what you are suggesting is blaming the victim.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
no kidding here, ice. certainly an attacker might impede a defender,
Not in this situation they wouldn't. One doesn't have to know a lot about soccer to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom