OT: Aaron Hernandez Had CTE, Widow To Sue NFL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Aaron Hernandez Had CTE, Widow To Sue NFL

Reaction Score
You must think suing the NFL in any CTE case is absurd?

Nope, but in this one yes.

I have friends who've played in the NFL and were a part of the original suit against the league.

Don't make assumptions its dangerous.

Reaction Score
Nope, but in this one yes.

I have friends who've played in the NFL and were a part of the original suit against the league.

Don't make assumptions its dangerous.
Then why is suing the NFL in this case absurd? Hernandez's football career was over at 23 years old and he had the brain of a 67 year old CTE patient.

Guess I don't understand why you see it with other former NFL players with CTE and not with this former NFL player with CTE.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I'm not making light of the lives lost or the crimes committed but one day their gonna examine OJ's brain and I'm Guessing it'll be the same or worse.

Reaction Score
You must think suing the NFL in any CTE case is absurd?
. Have to believe that the teams and the NFL are smart enough to have language in the player contracts that holds the league and team harmless for claims current and future and that forces the player to acknowledge the inherent risks with playing football when they sign. This feels like a Hail Mary suit with the Attirney hoping for an out of court settlement

Reaction Score
I don't think we should excuse Hernandez of his behavior or crimes. But we have verifiable proof that his brain was scrambled in a way that is unprecedented for a 27 year old man. Nobody will ever know the role that CTE played in his behavior, one way or another. Let's all agree on that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Iwrote the following in a different thread.:

This is going to end in one of 4 ways, IMO:

1) Settle for undisclosed amount (scholarship fund for daughter) with no admission of guilt.
2) War of Attrition. The NFL will drag it out for a decade or more and bankrupt this and possibly other firms (a la Tobacco industry)
3) Find for NFL and the Patriots.
4) Case will be dismissed.

The NFL (and football in general at all levels) has an upward fight against CTE. That is for certain. Given his history, there is no way in heck that it can be proven (neither beyond a reasonable doubt, nor preponderance of evidence) that CTE caused Hernandez to commit crimes. Far too circumstantial.

Two things that I did not mention are:

1) The one outcome that is missing from above is that the former fiance is awarded any money.
2) Hernandez reportedly used PCP and other illicit and dangerous drugs, not just booze and gange.

Reaction Score
And lose
not necessarily... It likely wouldn't get to court because somewhere someone like the NFL or NCAA would settle rather than have this coverage everyday. Think of the OJ Simpson trial except its the NCAA and NFL on trial and how they are not doing everything they can to protect the players. It would be covered by every station, every newspaper, and internet site every day.
I just don't see that as being something those organizations want or wouldn't pay for it not to happen.

Reaction Score
In other words "It's not his fault he was a murderer." Yes, it really was his fault. I don't care if he had the brain functionality of a 67 year-old man. A 67 year-old man knows not to kill people. Or kill himself. And have we really come to despise the wisdom of age that much?
if they can show that CTE was prevalent (which I think they did), and we know that CTE can lead to suicide, cognitive impairment, and a whole host of other issues why wouldn't they sue for his suicide. Doesn't sound like they are going after the NFL for the murders, just his suicide.
Would be ironic if its this lawsuit that forces change to the NFL and NCAA or any other organization. Would certainly change his legacy.

Reaction Score

This is going to end in one of 4 ways, IMO:

1) Settle for undisclosed amount (scholarship fund for daughter) with no admission of guilt.
2) War of Attrition. The NFL will drag it out for a decade or more and bankrupt this and possibly other firms (a la Tobacco industry)
3) Find for NFL and the Patriots.
4) Case will be dismissed.

The NFL (and football in general at all levels) has an upward fight against CTE. That is for certain. Given his history, there is no way in heck that it can be proven (neither beyond a reasonable doubt, nor preponderance of evidence) that CTE caused Hernandez to commit crimes. Far too circumstantial.

Two things that I did not mention are:

1) The one outcome that is missing from above is that the former fiance is awarded any money.
2) Hernandez reportedly used PCP and other illicit and dangerous drugs, not just booze and gange.
commit crimes or suicide. we know that CTE can lead to suicide.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
commit crimes or suicide. we know that CTE can lead to suicide.
The overlapping portion of circles in that venn diagram may be well known but still very small.

Not all players with CTE commit suicide. Not all suicide perpetrators have CTE.

There are a number of theories why Hernandez hung himself. Each one chips away at the one involving CTE.

Reaction Score
He also opted out of the concussion settlement w the league when he was Playing. Some legal analysts are saying this suit will be summarily dismissed

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, this is the society we currently live in. Nobody is responsible for their own actions. Blame others. Sue the deep pockets.

Aaron Hernandez lived a tragic life and maybe he would have turned his life around had he gone to UConn to play with his brother DJ who could have mentored him.

It appears Hernandez' family is broke and needs the money. Although I sympathize with the family, I hope they don't win this lawsuit as it seems to imply the bad behavior of current and past football players is the fault of the game of football. I don't believe that, but if you sue in a liberal state like Massachusetts, you may win.

By the way, who didn't know that repeated blows to the head was a LT health problem? Haven't boxers had head problems that we called punch drunk?
I concussed myself last weekend. Bumped my head reaching into the back of our van, 2 days in a row. Symptoms didn't show up until about 8 hours after the second bump. Had blurry vision all the way home from NH. Had other symptoms next morning, and when I googled concussions symptoms, I had about 6-7 of 10. That was the perhaps the first time I was ever aware of being concussed. I vaguely remember headaches after a midget football game. Played football (and other sports) for a few years, and nothing else ever like that.
Just shows it doesn't need to be from sports.

Reaction Score
There is supposedly a high percentage of ex football players that have CTE. There are a very low percentage of them committing murder. There is also a very low percentage of people without CTE that are committing murder. There are people with heart disease that commit bank robberies. Does this mean that heart disease causes people to commit bank robbery? I would think it would be hard to prove that CTE made him commit these murders. Especially given his past gang history.

Reaction Score

The link of PCP to violent crimes is a lot stronger than the link of CTE to violent crimes. I would think the defense is going to use this.

Reaction Score
There is supposedly a high percentage of ex football players that have CTE. There are a very low percentage of them committing murder. There is also a very low percentage of people without CTE that are committing murder. There are people with heart disease that commit bank robberies. Does this mean that heart disease causes people to commit bank robbery? I would think it would be hard to prove that CTE made him commit these murders. Especially given his past gang history.

Then it is a good thing that this is not alleged in the lawsuit. They are suing the NFL for hiding the dangers related to CTE thus causing his suicide. The suit may get dismissed, but if it gets beyond the starting gate, the NFL does not want to participate in defending these charges, even if a favorable outcome is assured.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom