OT: A reason pro football is losing fans | The Boneyard

OT: A reason pro football is losing fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
watching the Giants Lions game and i couldn't believe the goings on after the 1st quarter. there was a question of a completion by the Lions by the booth but the quarter ended..commercials. when the 2nd quarter started, McAdoo threw the challenge flag...commercials. Janoris Jenkins was injured..commercials. Eli Apple makes a nice play on Golden Tate breaking up a pass...commercials. In a total of 58 seconds there were 4 commercial breaks.Talk about breaking up the continuity of the game. This is getting to be a big problem IMNSHO. Another point..Does anybody know what pass interference is anymore??? It seems to be the discretion of the officials and nothing else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While I understand why the sport seems to be losing some steam on TV - it's certainly not because the games are predictable.

Unless you mean - I can predict the Dolphins and Jets will be terrible to watch.

If you mean you can pick who's going to win? If you could do that you'd be a retired multi-millionaire in 5 years.

Reaction Score
The issue is over saturation. Nobody cares about the games. It's all about the stats for fantasy leagues. Some watch the games for their players but there are so many options for player stats besides the broadcast.

Product is getting stale. Similar to college football when the same 10 teams seem to show up in the playoff each year.

Reaction Score
Stopped watching NFL except if I have nothing to do and I put on NFL Red Zone. MLB 10 year ago and NBA 20 years ago. Used to be NFL was a Sunday ritual. Now, it's something on after the Arsenal match.

Reaction Score
Commercials is #1 reason for me. When I do watch an NFL game, I DVR it and start watching about an hour in so I can fast forward thru commercials.

And listening to a game for which Dan Fouts is a commentator makes it nearly unwatchable.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
There is one element of predictability--teams and match ups. The NFL is at 32 teams and CFB at 128. For me, this makes a difference. There's only so many times I can get excited to watch Giants/Cowboys, Pats/Jets, etc. In NCAAF there are many more match up combinations, which make the season more interesting. Obviously you're always still playing in conference opponents, but the point remains. Regular season NFL games are also largely unimportant unless you're into gambling or fantasy. As a pats fan, the regular season doesn't mean squat. In CFB, all 12 games are incredibly relevant--you lose any game and you could be screwed for CFP

Reaction Score
You know why I still appreciate the NFL? I know my team is going to maintain their rivalries and that there is still a high level of parity. Conference realignment in college sports has done the opposite and makes college sports less enjoyable for me. If I wasn't a UConn alum I wouldn't be watching any college sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know I'm tired of the same teams showing up EVERY year in the CFB playoffs. All these long years. Over and over.

Reaction Score
The game is woosified to the point of boredom. The QB protection rules ruin the game.

Reaction Score
The game is woosified to the point of boredom. The QB protection rules ruin the game.

Blame the owners for that one. They don't want their golden tickets getting injured anymore.

Reaction Score
There is one element of predictability--teams and match ups. The NFL is at 32 teams and CFB at 128. For me, this makes a difference. There's only so many times I can get excited to watch Giants/Cowboys, Pats/Jets, etc. In NCAAF there are many more match up combinations, which make the season more interesting. Obviously you're always still playing in conference opponents, but the point remains. Regular season NFL games are also largely unimportant unless you're into gambling or fantasy. As a pats fan, the regular season doesn't mean squat. In CFB, all 12 games are incredibly relevant--you lose any game and you could be screwed for CFP
True there are 128 teams in CFB but only 64 of them actually have acces to a national championship... and that number is only going to get smaller once the blue blood programs get left out in favor of an "unworthy" program. CFB literally reminds me of the movie Titanic with those knobgobbling first class douchers being wined and dined while the third class (us) are eating rats an sh it playing poker for pennies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I have the exact opposite take. I like the NFL more (at this point) because I know my Giants year in year out are going to play the Cowboys, Eagles and Redskins twice each.

Familiarity builds better rivalries which leads to better games in my opinion.

I would have been all for the 8 Big East Football teams breaking away, adding 1 more football team for 4 home and 4 away conference league games playing every team once and then for hoop playing every team home and home.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I have the exact opposite take. I like the NFL more (at this point) because I know my Giants year in year out are going to play the Cowboys, Eagles and Redskins twice each.

Familiarity builds better rivalries which leads to better games in my opinion.

I would have been all for the 8 Big East Football teams breaking away, adding 1 more football team for 4 home and 4 away conference league games playing every team once and then for hoop playing every team home and home.
I agree with this 100%. Not having rivalries anymore makes college football less intriguing to me. I do still enjoy watching it but not nearly to the level I used to.

However, I love that my Giants play teams I hate every year, twice.

As for commercials, I just don't watch full games unless it's Sunday, Monday, or Thursday night. Even then, I only have it on in the background while I do other things. I watch Red Zone on Sundays because I can't stand commercials. I also basically watch for Fantasy purposes and that's about it (outside of Giants games).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's going to be great reviewing this thread when the ratings for tonight come out. What 27 or 28 million people are going to watch per Neilsen...

Reaction Score
Stopped watching NFL except if I have nothing to do and I put on NFL Red Zone. MLB 10 year ago and NBA 20 years ago. Used to be NFL was a Sunday ritual. Now, it's something on after the Arsenal match.
I thought you were a conservative? What conservative gives up the NFL and MLB for the EPL?

Reaction Score
Since the election is over the ratings have made a recovery. Last Sunday nights game had the highest ratings for a regular season NFL game since 2013. If the NFL has reason for concern then the other sports have reason for panic. NFL ratings still destroy the ratings for every other US sports.

Reaction Score
I think review is an element for sure. In the interest of "getting it right" they essentially substitute one set of judgements for a different set of judgements. And forget that slo mo often makes things appear differently from what actually occurred. There have been a number of studies which confirm thatwatching things in slow motion can distort perception just as much as watching it at real speed. And it takes forever. I agree with the over saturation. That is hurting every televised sport actually. It hurts not only viewership but also attendance.

Reaction Score
The is one simple reason that the NFL is losing fans. Fantasy Football.

A huge portion of fans no longer want to attend one game or watch one game. They have no allegiance or emotional investment in any NFL team. The only team they care about is their fantasy team. The only football channel they want to watch is red zone.

The NFL has created a monster. As the popularity of fantasy soars, the interest in the teams diminish. It's a conundrum for the league. There is high interest in individual players but the games and standings mean less and less. Fantasy is killing attendance and TV ratings.

It's a contradiction to be sure. But fantasy football has changed the way the NFL is being consumed. Less interest in the teams lessens the buzz and overall interest. It lessens the number of followers and fans of the franchises. It is hurting the single most factor that generates revenue. The attachment and identification with the home team.

This is a tough one to figure out for the NFL. If the NFL could tap into the betting pool, they would be fine. But all that money flows outside of the league. Unless the NFL takes control of fantasy football, more trouble lies down the road.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Losing fans?

i) over saturation of televised product - on one too many nights.
ii) televised product has too many commercial breaks which run too long. consumers have grown weary of the commercials leading to more dvr consumption.
iii) changing consumption habits (streaming, blogging) maybe siphoning off some of the numbers which aren't as well measured.
iv) changing american demographics - particularly those under age 30. immigrants prefer soccer. american's foreign born population is the highest percentage in 100 years and given only canada players football, the product is totally new to them.
v) the competition for the consumer's free time is relentless. people have plenty of options and opportunities with their free time.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I don't feel a connection to pro sports. I live down the street from Gillette Stadium and have season tickets for the Pats and I go to very few games. In fact, I would stop paying the $200 per seat per game (no kidding) except my kids like to go. I like UCONN sports because I feel connected to UCONN. I'm proud to have been raised in CT and served in the CT Army National Guard. The Pats will welcome me as long as I have room on my (UCONN) Visa.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

"How dare these people you've never met actually consider their own quality of life and personal safety. The gall of it! I'd much rather these guys be blowing their brains out at 55 with no knees like guys from the 70's and 80's."

Reaction Score
The is one simple reason that the NFL is losing fans. Fantasy Football.

A huge portion of fans no longer want to attend one game or watch one game. They have no allegiance or emotional investment in any NFL team. The only team they care about is their fantasy team. The only football channel they want to watch is red zone.

I agree. I was at the Tavern in Hartford back in September to watch the Cowboys/Skins game while my wife gave an exam nearby, and as the game started a girl in a Giants jersey with her boyfriend wearing a Pats jersey sat next to me and asked the bartender to change the channel to the Ravens/Browns game. The bartender had my back and she said, "That's fine, I have Zeke on my fantasy team anyway." The two did not shut up for one minute and I left at the half and I couldn't take it any longer. I think Fantasy Football is like being a vegan, or doing crossfit, or being a vegan who does crossfit. Anyone who participates never stops talking about it.

Reaction Score
Football is a good game. It's quite possibly a great game, but its popularity has always been enhanced by betting and over the last 10 years skyrocketed because of Fantasy Football.

The NFL cashed in on it by trying to get more games in the public eye so tat they could track their fantasy players. But, like pretty much everything in the world, popularity wanes. Fantasy Football is waning. Now the NFL is stuck with too many games on too many days/nights.

Let's face it, several years ago someone did an analysis of actual "playing time" of various sports. They used the time from snap to whistle x the number of plays and found just how little actual action takes place during a game. Surprisingly, the glacial paced major league baseball game had more action in it's 3 hours than an NFL game.

So, IMHO, they'd be better off offering more national TV coverage on Sundays than the current 3 games and allow for fans to see their teams, their fantasy players etc. in a 6 hour block, than the current format.

Reaction Score
Overexposure; the games aren't "special" anymore.

Parity, ugh.[/QUOTE]

I would add Fantasy Football to the list. I think this is the seed that will hurt the NFL in the not-to-distant future.

I can live with the commercial breaks. I don't like waiting 5 minutes and 3 commercials for a booth review, only to see them blow the call anyway. If you are going to break up game play, get the damn call right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom