OT: 2008 Celtics Don't Invite Ray on Vacation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 2008 Celtics Don't Invite Ray on Vacation

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sorry, but Ray just wasn't (isn't) a bigger brand than KG. His nickname is literally the Big Ticket.

No question. KG was a HOFer before he got to Boston, and just increased his legend once he got there. Ray wasn't (but he is now, thanks to his two titles, both of which he majorly contributed to).

Reaction Score
I really don't want to get into bashing Ray but anyone who watched that game knows that Ray cost the Celtics the game. He went 0-13, and many if not most of those were open looks. It was a bizarre turn of events, considering he hit 8 three-pointers in Game 2. His Game 2 was a real thing of beauty.

Kobe missed a lot of shots but he scored 29 points on 29 shots. Pierce scored 15 points on 12 shots. Ray hit 2 free throws and missed 13 shots, 8 from 3. It was the worst game of his career, coming off one of the best.

Frankly, I'm not sure it has anything to do with anything on the main topic -- I don't know if winning another title would have caused him to stay; I'm guessing not -- but you don't seem to remember that game well at all.
Of course I watched the game. Ray was terrible, shot 3-14. Pierce was terrible, shot 5-15. Kobe was terrible, shot 6-24. Basically everyone was horrible in that game, just an ugly game 7. I was only pointing out what an idiot JSM is, nothing more.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Of course I watched the game. Ray was terrible, shot 3-14. Pierce was terrible, shot 5-15. Kobe was terrible, shot 6-24. Basically everyone was horrible in that game, just an ugly game 7. I was only pointing out what an idiot JSM is, nothing more.

I'm talking about Game 3. Nobody blames Ray for Game 7 -- at least nobody I know. Perk's injury is what did them in.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about Game 3. Nobody blames Ray for Game 7 -- at least nobody I know. Perk's injury is what did them in.
JSM does and that's what he was referencing, thought you were too. I keep forgetting 90% of the board has JSM on ignore. He said the reason they are blackballing Ray is because he missed 50 million shots in game 7 and is the reason they lost the championship.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
JSM does and that's what he was referencing, thought you were too. I keep forgetting 90% of the board has JSM on ignore. He said the reason they are blackballing Ray is because he missed 50 million shots in game 7 and is the reason they lost the championship.

Ah, gotcha! I see it now.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Right now, in 2017, Ray Allen is more relevant than KG purely because of arguable the clutchest finals shot of all time being fresh in people's minds, the presence of LEbron James and Ray's association with him, him starring in a cult classic movie, and finally Curry's constant destruction of per season 3pfgm statistic always seems to get Ray's name brought up in the process.

Reaction Score
Yes. He was just a guy who was maniacal about his routine (OCD-like) who kept to himself. He wasn't a bad guy, just a loner. Not a big deal.

I feel like I read something/somewhere that Ray developed the loner mentality because his dad was a military guy so Ray never had many long lasting relationships as a kid. As a result, he tended to keep to himself.

Reaction Score
Right now, in 2017, Ray Allen is more relevant than KG purely because of arguable the clutchest finals shot of all time being fresh in people's minds, the presence of LEbron James and Ray's association with him, him starring in a cult classic movie, and finally Curry's constant destruction of per season 3pfgm statistic always seems to get Ray's name brought up in the process.

Not sure I agree with this... KG is a legendary player/talent and his persona on TNT etc is keeping him in the spotlight. KG is a no doubt, first ballot hall of famer. Ray will go in too, but he might not be a first ballot guy.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with this... KG is a legendary player/talent and his persona on TNT etc is keeping him in the spotlight. KG is a no doubt, first ballot hall of famer. Ray will go in too, but he might not be a first ballot guy.
They are both first ballot hall of famers.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
No one watches Area 21 besides the 30 second "check ins" they do once a week!

Reaction Score
Pathetic. Seriously, I hate that crew. I don't blame Ray for walking away from such a bunch of babies. Wah wah wah. KG has always been such a twisted panty.

Reaction Score
They are both first ballot hall of famers.

Eh... Not sure. It's arguable. KG is a no doubter; he was a 9-time All-NBA player, Ray had one selection. A quick google search of the universe was a bit divided on Ray as a 1st ballot guy.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Eh... Not sure. It's arguable. KG is a no doubter; he was a 9-time All-NBA player, Ray had one selection. A quick google search of the universe was a bit divided on Ray as a 1st ballot guy.
Both are first-ballot HoFers, I'd put good money on that.

Its the hall of FAME, and both guys achieved more than enough of that during their time in the game. Holding the record for most 3pfgm of all time alone is HoF 1st ballot material if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Coming from someone who now plays for the Bulls, one of the C's most heated rivals...He was not a likable person, made bearable by performance on the court for a few years.

Reaction Score
Both are first-ballot HoFers, I'd put good money on that.

Its the hall of FAME, and both guys achieved more than enough of that during their time in the game. Holding the record for most 3pfgm of all time alone is HoF 1st ballot material if you ask me.
Ray should be, but Reggie Miller wasn't, which gives me pause. Considering Ray has the 3-point record, the two titles, and owns arguably the biggest shot in NBA Finals history, you'd think he'd be a no-brainer. But you just never know with HOF voters.

Ultimately, KG is the best of that Big 3 by far. Pierce and Ray are closer historically, but Pierce is widely considered the better all-time player.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Ray should be, but Reggie Miller wasn't, which gives me pause. Considering Ray has the 3-point record, the two titles, and owns arguably the biggest shot in NBA Finals history, you'd think he'd be a no-brainer. But you just never know with HOF voters.

Ultimately, KG is the best of that Big 3 by far. Pierce and Ray are closer historically, but Pierce is widely considered the better all-time player.
Except Reggie Miller really didn't do ishh in his career except for hitting 3s before they were a thing (at a clip that would be average among "shooters" in today's league) and troll the New York Knicks, that about it.

Reaction Score
Except Reggie Miller really didn't do ishh in his career except for hitting 3s before they were a thing (at a clip that would be average among "shooters" in today's league) and troll the New York Knicks, that about it.
Correct, and Ray should be a first ballot HOFer (even though Reggie wasn't) for the reasons I laid out. I'm just not 100% certain he will be until it actually happens.

C

Chief00

In the past, KG and Ray have said that Sam Cassell was the other Big 3 not Ray. LOL they never mentioned Rondo. Ray was always liked more by the media than his Boston teammates, although he was pretty friendly with KG in HS. They both lived in SC before KG moved to Chicago. Of course before his parent's divorce Ray lived in Germany and other military bases due to his father being a mechanic in the Air Force.

I was fortunate to be invited to Ray's wedding in Martha's Vineyard and what was notable was I don't recall seeing one Celtic there. Scott Burrell was in the wedding party but no Celtics and that was before Ray's Miami move.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom