OSU-Oregon Magnifies UConn's Futility And Distance From Top (Jacobs) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OSU-Oregon Magnifies UConn's Futility And Distance From Top (Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If the administration is ever really considering this, let us know ASAP, because if they are not 100% committed to succeeding in football, I see no reason to keep trotting my ass out there at that point. Thankfully I believe the people in charge are smarter than that. The fact that this is getting any play in the courant is sickening enough.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
Don't let the morons at the BC fan site, BC Interruption, get you riled. This moron BC Hysteria is one of their main contributors and what he writes and the truth are never very close. Jacobs references the nonsense the Boston Globe has been printing in their crusade against UMass, and we all know where that is coming from. BC and all the triple Eagle jock sniffers want New England all to themselves. Actually they want the world to themselves, they'll settle for New England for right now.

Jacobs also quotes soem very dubious economic figures when it comes to UAB etc. Those have been proven to be wrong and highly inflated by the people that wanted to bring that program down. Utter nonsense.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the administration is ever really considering this, let us know ASAP, because if they are not 100% committed to succeeding in football, I see no reason to keep trotting my ass out there at that point. Thankfully I believe the people in charge are smarter than that. The fact that this is getting any play in the courant is sickening enough.
People have different definitions of "100% commited to succeding in football". As @ZooCougar notes, we didn't pony up enough money to lure a proven, nationally elite head coach (debate amongst yourselves who that would be) to what is perceived to be a non-P5 basketball school, so at least by some arbitrary definition we are not 100% committed to football success. However, I understand the reasoning that we just are not going to have access to the revenue that P5 schools have, so if you go after that profile and that paycheck, you run the risk of burning through whatever moderate revenue there is from the BE split and basketball at a faster rate and then the department deficit is worse, faster. I think the underlying reasoning behind both Diaco's and Ollie's contracts are that conference realignment is not likely to erupt again in the very short term, but more likely in a medium term to long term window.

Maybe Diaco fails utterly and the program stays stuck at rock bottom. Even then, the administration would not make the decision to drop or downgrade this year, or next year, or the year after that. The likes of Waylon and Jeff Jacobs (and the BC people) will clamor for them to do it sooner rather than later, but as long as there's a stadium standing in East Hartford and no P5 breakaway into a semi-pro league, there is going to be a mindset to keep surviving in hopes that our fortunes improve in the future.

Reaction Score
A better solution than buying dial up modems in 2015 which would be about equal to trying to build a top flight athletic department without a football program.

I'm thinking that whatever we save in having a cost containment football staff is probably lost in turn with a steep decline in ticket revenue.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
And I will say it again until I turn blue in the face. Hiring unproven and less expensive coaches will cost us more in the long run.

What few fans that remain can only handle stomping out of the Rent after bad losses for so long.

Turned out that Saban, Lombardi & Narduzzi turned us down.

Reaction Score
I think were paying good money. Before he got a huge raise it was in the ball park of what Clemson was paying Sweeny. The P5 has changed the pay scale in the time since we hired Diaco, but were still paying around low end P5, high end G5 money. That should be enough.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How about the basketball team dominate this supposed weak conference and not lose to Tulsa and Temple before they start worrying about being dragged down. Really poor day to chose to release this article. Same day they have an article about how we just lost to freaking Tulsa.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that whatever we save in having a cost containment football staff is probably lost in turn with a steep decline in ticket revenue.
A decline is pretty much guaranteed because we're playing in Conference USA 2.o. Diaco's record in year 1 exacerbates that, yes. But I don't think an expensive hire would sell out the Rent in 2014. Beyond that, anything projecting tickets / revenue with a different coach in the future is speculative.

Reaction Score
Why? Why write this now? We all know we've been royally in this CR shtstorm. We know the season sucked. The horse has been beaten to near death. Is he trying to be the final blow? Why give people on the fence that much more reason to bail?
My e-mail to JJ today...
Jeff, I hope this note finds you well. We have agreed to disagree a few times over the years so nothing different today. I am not coming with hatred or slander, simply going to say what I think. Today's column was a unnecessary diatribe of facts every UCONN football fan has been beaten over the head with for some time. You write this like we are all ignorant and have no clue about what we are witnessing and read about for three years now.
I simply cannot understand the purpose of what you put out today. The splendid NC woke you up to all these facts previously printed over and over? Not sure of how this stuff effects you or your fellow writers (Desmond) when it comes to getting info from coaches or AD's but it cannot help. I am not looking for you to be a cheerleader but I would think in your papers better interest beating a dead horse may not be a great idea.
Again maybe as a die hard I am being sensitive but I can take most things well this just seemed at this time nothing but salt in the wounds. A energy vampire of the tenth degree.
A sprinkle of positivity would have maybe helped. The new regime here cannot take blame for at least two more years. Jim, Geno and others have done what many thought impossible here why not a reference if we are going to repeat our self.
Want to give me something worth reading? Give me why they are not having the football signing event at The Dog House this year. I was told b-ball and hockey game the same day. That does not cut it. Could very easily be moved to another day. This event was growing every year and a good new year fix between the old and new season. A meat and greet with the coaches and senior players. I have found this to be a great event along with others a great season ticket promo. There is never a good time for a fumble but I am not sure why they would drop the ball on this one intentionally. Then again in your excitment over the NC I think you dropped the ball today.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
He's not obligated to be a cheerleader... But, he chose negativity over positivity. He could have tried to say, with interest sky high on Monday night, the state of CT needs to rally the troops around our wounded team, and raise them up and support them. You know, since our state university kind of depends on it. Instead, he watered the seed of doubt at the worst time.

Reaction Score
Things can turn around quickly if we find a play maker at QB and our coach decides to prioritize winning and game planning. BC is a good example of a quick turnaround. They were as bad as we are under their previous coach just two years ago. I do think Diaco is recruiting well (as well as can be expected).

The idea that basketball is in danger because of the AAC is absurd. Because of the AAC (Hartford tourney) we actually have a shot of making the NCAA tournament this year. This would be a lock NIT year for us in the Big East. Our basketball team should be outstanding next year as Hamilton and Brimah should be back, and the AAC will be a very good basketball league next year. Thankfully all of the teams in the AAC are working hard to build their basketball programs as they want to get invited to the P5 as much as we do.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UCFBfan said:
How about the basketball team dominate this supposed weak conference and not lose to Tulsa and Temple before they start worrying about being dragged down. Really poor day to chose to release this article. Same day they have an article about how we just lost to freaking Tulsa.
Don't you know it's the football programs fault?

Reaction Score
Things can turn around quickly if we find a play maker at QB and our coach decides to prioritize winning and game planning. BC is a good example of a quick turnaround. They were as bad as we are under their previous coach just two years ago. I do think Diaco is recruiting well (as well as can be expected).

The idea that basketball is in danger because of the AAC is absurd. Because of the AAC (Hartford tourney) we actually have a shot of making the NCAA tournament this year. This would be a lock NIT year for us in the Big East. Our basketball team should be outstanding next year as Hamilton and Brimah should be back, and the AAC will be a very good basketball league next year. Thankfully all of the teams in the AAC are working hard to build their basketball programs as they want to get invited to the P5 as much as we do.

Could not agree more. Even looking back at this year there were 3 games that should have been easy wins with a few plays being made by the QB. Got to hope Sheriffs can be a big upgrade. Unfortunately, can't see Boyle providing that.

Reaction Score
I know this is going to be unpopular, but I don't think it was at all a ridiculous article to write. As he said, he's been a big proponent of the football program's ascension to FBS. However, like many of us on the boards, he's losing hope. Losing hope that we can turn it around and get picked up by a P5 conference. Losing hope that Diaco is going to make us good enough, fast enough that this is going to be anything but a losing investment. Losing hope that the basketball program is going to survive the AAC.

It's not his job to be a cheerleader. It's his job to express an opinion. And his opinion is hardly out of line with what many of us have felt.

I am still holding out hope. I still love going to the games and tailgating and the whole gameday experience. And I admit I can get drunk enough to enjoy even a very bad football team.

However, I don't think it's wrong to ask the questions. But at this point, we gotta wait and see how Diaco does. But if he fails, then these are serious questions which need to be asked about the viability of pretending to think we're gonna be able to play with the big boys and whether or not it makes sense to cut our losses and join the Big East in basketball.

Reaction Score
A decline is pretty much guaranteed because we're playing in Conference USA 2.o. Diaco's record in year 1 exacerbates that, yes. But I don't think an expensive hire would sell out the Rent in 2014. Beyond that, anything projecting tickets / revenue with a different coach in the future is speculative.

Winning and playing positive football is the only thing we can do. Hiring the best coaches is a factor we have more control over than something such as conference affiliation.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know this is going to be unpopular, but I don't think it was at all a ridiculous article to write. As he said, he's been a big proponent of the football program's ascension to FBS. However, like many of us on the boards, he's losing hope. Losing hope that we can turn it around and get picked up by a P5 conference. Losing hope that Diaco is going to make us good enough, fast enough that this is going to be anything but a losing investment. Losing hope that the basketball program is going to survive the AAC.

It's not his job to be a cheerleader. It's his job to express an opinion. And his opinion is hardly out of line with what many of us have felt.

I am still holding out hope. I still love going to the games and tailgating and the whole gameday experience. And I admit I can get drunk enough to enjoy even a very bad football team.

However, I don't think it's wrong to ask the questions. But at this point, we gotta wait and see how Diaco does. But if he fails, then these are serious questions which need to be asked about the viability of pretending to think we're gonna be able to play with the big boys and whether or not it makes sense to cut our losses and join the Big East in basketball.
This is assuming the Big East would even take us back. I don't see any reason why they would to be honest. So I think it's a little premature for many basketball first fans here to just assume things will just go back to the old days and the Big East will welcome us back with open arms. I personally don't think that would happen. So it all comes down to supporting the football team and hoping they turn it around.

Once again, if people wanna say the AAC is hurting the basketball program, maybe the basketball program needs to start showing their better then the competition in the AAC. So far, they haven't been showing that this season. So the timing of this article was a little absurd.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East is just as bad a death sentence as the AAC for hoops. If you care about a lethal injection versus a firing squad...

You can't have a major athletic program without football going forward.

It's not a solution to drop football it just eliminates every potential positive outcome.

Reaction Score
The Big East is just as bad a death sentence as the AAC for hoops. If you care about a lethal injection versus a firing squad...

You can't have a major athletic program without football going forward.

It's not a solution to drop football it just eliminates every potential positive outcome.

I dunno, I'd get more out of watching us play Villanova, St. John's, Providence, and Creighton than I do ECU, USF, Tulane, etc.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score

I agree......but. You are dead right about BC, Addazio has done a ridiculous job picking up the pieces from a total incompetent. He's recruited well, both high school players and grad transfers. The later was necessary becasue Spaziani left the cupboard bare when it came to upperclassmen. Here's the problem though, Diaco has shown no signs or willingness to do this. We have to hope Shareff's is the real deal because we do not have a big time QB on the roster. Addazio saw a hole, filled it with a CT kid of all things. Whipple saw a gigantic hole at UMass and found a kid who turned out to be a top 5 passer in the country last year.

You think Diaco is doing well on the recruiting trail but everyone seems to agree that most of these recruits are projects with great long term potential. My biggest fear, besides my outspoken doubts about his coaching ability, is that Diaco thinks he has all the time in the world to do things his way so he doesn't need to "fill the holes". He should ask his former staff mate at ND about that strategy, I think he's pumping gas now after UMass gave him the boot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I dunno, I'd get more out of watching us play Villanova, St. John's, Providence, and Creighton than I do ECU, USF, Tulane, etc.

And when their first TV contract runs out and there is no market for the television rights because the games don't draw 5 digits of viewers how do you think it ends?

Reaction Score
And when their first TV contract runs out and there is no market for the television rights because the games don't draw 5 digits of viewers how do you think it ends?

One of the those strange moments where I agree with you again. The AAC, is the very best thing we can have going for us right now. We are not in the Big10, nor are we in the ACC, and there doesn't seem to be an opening any time soon. All that can be done, is cultivate the relationships among institutional leaders and organizational leaders such that if an opening/opportunity arises again, we aren't sitting on the beach in the Caribbean at a women's basketball tournament. (Proverbially)

Somebody knows the television ratings that are going on out there. As much as the handwringing and pissing has been going on about the recent UCONN v. Tulsa basketball game loss, guess what? People watched. They'll continue to watch. If UCONN won the game? Nobody would be complaining how bad it was that we played a game on CBS sports network at 9:30pm ET in Tulsa Oklahoma. Well, somebody propbably would, but not that many.

I would love to see a breakdown of the basketball game ratings in various markets and various networks from the other night. The proof is in the numbers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's not obligated to be a cheerleader... But, he chose negativity over positivity. He could have tried to say, with interest sky high on Monday night, the state of CT needs to rally the troops around our wounded team...
Oh, grow up. He chose reality over make-believe. And if UConn can't see fit to "rally the troops " at say, a signing day event, why should you expect that from Jacobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom