Orlando Sentinel: Gators AD Scott Stricklin: Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Orlando Sentinel: Gators AD Scott Stricklin: Canceling football ‘would shake financial foundation of college athletics’

Reaction Score

In my opinion this is the right move. It’s responsible for ADs to look into. I think it’s a possibility for sure.This would be a big blow for UConn football amid financial issues.

For UConn, it would be a small blow as we did not plan for getting big payouts for football from a conference or media contracts and our football expenses are relatively low. Shutting down football for a season would have a devastating impact on schools that bring in tens of millions of dollars in revenues and have tens of millions of fixed costs

Reaction Score
I'll feel more confident about the football season moving forward when I hear that Anthony Fauci has been hired as the new defensive coordinator at LSU.

Reaction Score

To some extent it's comforting that Herbstreit's logic isn't based in a lot of science-based logic of how pandemics end and instead on loosely-pieced nuggets of information and some leaps to conclusions.

I'm not saying at all that he's 100% wrong, but that his scenario discounts a lot of what can happen between now and the fall. I'd encourage him and anyone else interested to read this article: How the Pandemic Will End

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I want college football, period. I don't like the set up and how UConn got screwed by the ACC, ESPN and the old Big East.
You can't cut off your nose to spite your face
Rooting against the status quo isn't cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's enlightened self-interest. If the entire current system collapses, that's good for UConn. CFB wouldn't go away and perhaps UConn gets a better deal in the rebuild.

Reaction Score
To some extent it's comforting that Herbstreit's logic isn't based in a lot of science-based logic of how pandemics end and instead on loosely-pieced nuggets of information and some leaps to conclusions.

I'm not saying at all that he's 100% wrong, but that his scenario discounts a lot of what can happen between now and the fall. I'd encourage him and anyone else interested to read this article: How the Pandemic Will End

The author quoted a British university prediction of 500,000 deaths in the UK and 2.2 million in the USA. That prediction has now been revised to 20,000 deaths in the UK (no word on a revision to the USA prediction). Too much premature speculation about a problem that only became known to the world on December 31, 2019 and which has only exploded in numbers over the past two months. First case here on January 21. We are doing studies now that should have started in December at the latest but China prevented that.

China hid this virus from the world for over six weeks (November 17 to December 31) and then told the WHO that it was not transmissible from human to human, then imprisoned doctors who divulged its presence (a number of whom have mysteriously disappeared), then destroyed early case samples of the virus, then refused to provide samples to Western scientists who could have started sequencing the genome in December instead of January, then expelled journalists from the NY Times, Washington Post and Wall Street Journal who were asking too many questions and now China goes around the world providing supplies and ventilators to the countries suffering as a result of their wanton failure to tell the world the truth about what likely escaped from their bioweapons lab in Wuhan.

Last edited:

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The coronavirus crisis may accelerate the superconference theory many have predicted, especially in football. AFC/NFC style conferences made up of the top 5-6 from the current P5. No reason Rutgers, BC, Wake, Vandy, Cuse deserve to make the same as Ohio State, Bama, Clemson, Texas, USC, etc.
Could be. But an elite group of 32 teams would be so boring. College football will never succeed as a junior NFL.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Could be. But an elite group of 32 teams would be so boring. College football will never succeed as a junior NFL.
To you. It’ll likely work because recruiting will change. The best players would go to those 32 schools and then there would be everyone else. Why would anyone watch the everyone else? Unless they were fans of a particular school

Reaction Score
Already sort of that way with the 65 P5 programs.....

Just winnow out the Wake Forests. Indianas, Rutgers, Vanderbilts, etc.

Reaction Score
Already sort of that way with the 65 P5 programs.....

Just winnow out the Wake Forests. Indianas, Rutgers, Vanderbilts, etc.
And then the super conference is 500 records since they are almost all equal (not likely) or some schools rise and then complain that the bottom half don’t pull their weight, just like now.

Reaction Score
To you. It’ll likely work because recruiting will change. The best players would go to those 32 schools and then there would be everyone else. Why would anyone watch the everyone else? Unless they were fans of a particular school

Good point about recruiting, but I'm not sure that would be much of a change. Isn't that the way it already is except for the late bloomers and Edsall-type "finds" the top 32 miss on?

As to viewership and game attendance, I wonder if forming a super league of 32 wouldn't just speed up the death of college football television contracts and ultimately college football entirely.

The FL AD knows what a shutdown this fall due to the virus would do to football revenue and it doesn't seem an overstatement to figure the grads and fans of the Non-32 would walk away from the sport if their school has no chance to beat one of the 32 and its league TV contract is miniscule compared to the 32. Too little money combined with limited exposure and already declining attendance would seem to be a recipe for schools to shut down their programs.

The field of 68 makes the BB tournament special because of the potential for upsets and the fans of the smaller schools dream of their school making the tournament and having a chance to do what UMBC did to mighty Virginia two years ago.

If few or no graduates or fans of the Non-32 cared about football anymore, ratings would fall, advertising rates would plummet and soon the whole house of cards would collapse.

Reaction Score
This shouldn't affect P-5 football. NCAA receives nothing from P-5 football and the distribution is from other sports' income. Cancelling March Madness and the conference tournaments is where this loss is coming from.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Just saw something saying they may actually try to move up the season to run July-September to play in what they expect to be the dormant summer months.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People need to just get over that CFB isn't happening this year... If it does happen it will be with no fans, the warm weather thing isn't true I thought.

Reaction Score
People need to just get over that CFB isn't happening this year... If it does happen it will be with no fans, the warm weather thing isn't true I thought.

The current understanding and hypothesizing on the subject of the novel coronavirus and how warmer weather impacts it is something like “yeah, transmission rates may slow in the summer: people are less crammed together into buildings and in close quarters, more exposure to sunlight has a small positive benefit to our immune responses as well as stronger likelihood of UV light affecting the virus itself when it is airborne or on objects exposed to sunlight, we suspect this virus is similar to most in that it has a particular level of temperature and relative humidity in which it incubates and spreads the best, and doesn’t thrive as well when humidity or temperature increases, and the simple depletion of potential hosts as more and more people get infected and either recover or die over time. With this all being said, it is highly unlikely in this case that this alone will stop the virus dead and it is highly likely we will see a resurgence in fall and winter.”

Or in a tl;dr, summer won’t be the miraculous end of the virus, but if we aren’t idiots and don’t get complacent, it won’t come back as Coronavirus 2: Virus Harder or skip straight to Coronavirus 3: Virus with a Vengeance

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom