Oriakhi Transfering? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Oriakhi Transfering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
oh I'm sure he didn't... but when you watch some of the games Alex had in 2010-2011, how can you not push him and expect more out of him... but, in the end, you're right in that dealing with adolescents is a tricky business.... coaching in HS def gives me a lot of insight into how some of these guys look at things, and it's amazing how many talented players either don't realize how good they are/can be or just don't care...

I think it's hard/frustrating for a lot of us as fans to watch all the potential some of these guys have and not be disappointed/bitter because none of us were ever as athletically gifted as a boatright or genetically gifted as an Alex... we tend to want things for others and project our own dreams onto the players.... and what makes that worse is a year like last year when we finished in story-book fashion with all of our dreams coming true...

I really doubt Alex doesn't care, he just doesn't seem to realize how to use his gifts (strength especially) and he sulks whenever something goes against his plan (fouls, missed rebounds, etc.) Instead of pushing through and playing harder he simply starts to shrivel up. I like the kid and think he can be really good. It's almost all mental with Alex. I mean he has some things he needs to work on as well, but I'd say 90% is mental, in terms of him being what he was this year and being a legit double-double player every game.

He isn't the type that will react well to JC's type of coaching. JC (for good or bad) coaches the same with all the kids.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don't think any of us has any idea. If he's not the type of player who responds to Calhoun, what explains last year? He got yanked in and out of the lineup all over the place his freshman year. Has his personality changed?
And if people argue, "well, now he thinks he's due some respect or something," you're just speculating. Unless you're him, you don't know.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't think any of us has any idea. If he's not the type of player who responds to Calhoun, what explains last year? He got yanked in and out of the lineup all over the place his freshman year. Has his personality changed?
And if people argue, "well, now he thinks he's due some respect or something," you're just speculating. Unless you're him, you don't know.

I am speculating based on his reactions on the court. Last year had a leader who always had a smile on his face picking up players not to mention his best friend was there to things out with.

Reaction Score
I really doubt Alex doesn't care, he just doesn't seem to realize how to use his gifts (strength especially) and he sulks whenever something goes against his plan (fouls, missed rebounds, etc.) Instead of pushing through and playing harder he simply starts to shrivel up. I like the kid and think he can be really good. It's almost all mental with Alex. I mean he has some things he needs to work on as well, but I'd say 90% is mental, in terms of him being what he was this year and being a legit double-double player every game.

Totally agree with above. AO's a bit of a baby in a mans body. Maturity is what he's missing, that's mental.

But when you said:

He isn't the type that will react well to JC's type of coaching. JC (for good or bad) coaches the same with all the kids.

Do not agree with this part.It's not just JC style the refs are wrong and apparently the basket is wrong too.

I don't think JC coach's the same with ALL the kids... rather it depends on kid and what JC perceives the kid needs and what the kid brings to the table. That's to say mistakes are more tolerable if you have something else to offer that the team needs. Granted JC is one "tuff love" SOB but I do think his "tough love" is a little different with different kids. And in at least one case hardly tough at all.

As I recall Dyson, at times, was given an exceptionally long leash... and most of the time no leash at all.
Without the intent to bash the kid..Dyson did some stuff that made even the husky mascot roll his eyes and many of us tear our hair out. without suffering any ill will from JC. For equal or similar mistakes JD almost never got the hook, evil eye or in the face while others got an ear full or quick seat at first offense. Dyson also brought toughness and agression to a team sorely in need. Dyson sometimes asserted his will for the good and often for the worse. Most of the time he got to do either without forefit of PT.

Also JC tried everything with Stanley who seemed to need special treatment, special love. Just too examples of the top of my head.

caw

Reaction Score
Do not agree with this part.It's not just JC style the refs are wrong and apparently the basket is wrong too.

I don't think JC coach's the same with ALL the kids... rather it depends on kid and what JC perceives the kid needs and what the kid brings to the table. That's to say mistakes are more tolerable if you have something else to offer that the team needs. Granted JC is one "tuff love" SOB but I do think his "tough love" is a little different with different kids. And in at least one case hardly tough at all.

As I recall Dyson, at times, was given an exceptionally long leash... and most of the time no leash at all.
Without the intent to bash the kid..Dyson did some stuff that made even the husky mascot roll his eyes and many of us tear our hair out. without suffering any ill will from JC. For equal or similar mistakes JD almost never got the hook, evil eye or in the face while others got an ear full or quick seat at first offense. Dyson also brought toughness and agression to a team sorely in need. Dyson sometimes asserted his will for the good and often for the worse. Most of the time he got to do either without forefit of PT.

Also JC tried everything with Stanley who seemed to need special treatment, special love. Just too examples of the top of my head.

Very well some/a few players do get longer leashes/special treatment, but JC has not gone with the long leash or special treatment with AO, he has been in his face all year (somewhat deservedly) but it obviously wasn't a fruitful tact.

Reaction Score

Great point about Dyson, and I think JC kind of sold his soul in that 2007 season in giving Dyson a long leash since he was literally the only one who had a chance of putting the ball in the basket, regardless of whether he committed 5 turnovers and 2 offensive fouls to make it happen.

I think Drummond has been handed an especially long leash this year. My hypothesis is that the coaching staff either (A) feels so indebted to AD for coming here last minute and/or (B) realized he's only going to be here one year, so they weren't going to treat him as harshly as they do some others. I'm sure Oriakhi recognized this and this has contributed to his frustration.

Reaction Score
Yea, I've always wondered what must have been going through AO's head as AD launched turnaround fadeaway jumpers with plenty of time on the shot clock with no reprecussions at all. I know AO has plenty of warts to his game but to see AD pull some of the stuff he did with those shots and never come out for it and face a tongue lashing from JC made me feel pretty bad for him, because we all know if AO grabbed an offensive board and then shot a fadeaway jumper without kicking it back out to the guards for a reset he wouldn't come back in the game again. AD's leash seemed about on par with Jerome's and I don't understand why, JC treated CV entirely different when he wouldn't play in the post.

Great point about Dyson, and I think JC kind of sold his soul in that 2007 season in giving Dyson a long leash since he was literally the only one who had a chance of putting the ball in the basket, regardless of whether he committed 5 turnovers and 2 offensive fouls to make it happen.

I think Drummond has been handed an especially long leash this year. My hypothesis is that the coaching staff either (A) feels so indebted to AD for coming here last minute and/or (B) realized he's only going to be here one year, so they weren't going to treat him as harshly as they do some others. I'm sure Oriakhi recognized this and this has contributed to his frustration.[/quote]

Reaction Score
And this is why we don't specualtate about transfers.
Mods have had a far longer leash with this sort of silliness here compared to our last two addresses.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Mods have had a far longer leash with this sort of silliness here compared to our last two addresses.
Sure have. I like the way things have been run here. I don't support a poster randomly saying "I think Player X should/will transfer) but if AO leaves the possibility open in a publicized quote then have at it.

This thread does show why we try to prevent transfer speculation though.

Reaction Score
Early on Fishy commented that basically Alex put it out there so it isn't the same thing as in the past. Still think this thread should be put out of our misery.

Reaction Score
Too many post to read so this might have come up earlier. AO cannot be a captain next year. Is he mature enough to stay and get demoted. He already feels he has been misused and treated unfairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom