Oregon St vs Baylor - 3/23/18 | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Oregon St vs Baylor - 3/23/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... to me the Pac12 is looking very similar to the old BE of the 2000s with a great variety of playing styles and excellent coaching. And because these teams are consistently getting into the NCAA they are getting 'institutional memory' - most of the players on each team have been there/done that so they can concentrate more on playing basketball than on the experience. Add in the coaching staffs' learning experiences as well and Pac12 teams are showing up ready to play. They may still lose, but not because they were surprised.

The Big 12 on the other hand ... they are starting to remind me of the Big10 of the same era - on paper looking like world beaters but consistently disappointing. How many times did Foster disappoint in the NCAAs. The days of a really strong conference are fading with TX and Baylor separating from of field of mediocrity or worse. Baylor played on the road OOC only once (and lost.) TX was a little more adventurous playing on the road at TN and at Georgia, but ...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
You obviously didn't see the last Oregon St. USC game. There were bodies littered all over the floor with no calls. USC plays as physical as any team in the country. Many teams breathed a sigh of relief when they were excluded from the Tournament.
You are probably right. I didn't see many PAC 12 games this year and to be honest, my statement is a hold over from some men's games I watched years ago.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Underwhelmed by K Brown as a POY candidate. I would vote for Gulich over Brown for AA. Now Lauren Cox, she is the real deal! And as a sophmore she only gets better! When Cox fouled out there went the game.

I think Brown panicked when she realized how good Gulich is. And that, to me, is ultimately on Mulkey for not giving her players the kind of in-season challenges that would have exposed, and so allowed them to address, their weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't believe I missed this game. I thought all the games were being played today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Didn't get to see the game last night...but I think Baylor would've won this one somewhat handily if they were more battle tested. Goes to show the strength of the Pac 12 and the value of playing teams with quality opposing bigs to challenge your own. I think if Brown had more experience going up against top rate post players, she would've been able to do a better job on Gulich.

I hope Tennessee cans Holly and goes HARD after Rueck. I have full confidence he would revitalize the program. The job he did at George Fox was remarkable, and the impact he's made at Oregon State is even more impressive. Him and Schaefer might be the 2 best up and coming coaches in women's basketball right now. Relatively unheralded players improve so much under Rueck, and they regularly beat more talented teams. Look at Rueck's results vs. expectations:
2018-preseason #17/19, entered post season #13 and should finish top 8.
2017-preseason #25/17, entered post season #8, finished in Sweet 16 (#9 in Final Poll)
2016-preseason #10/9, entered post season #6, finished in Final Four and #2 in Final Poll
2015-preseason #20/21, entered post season #10, lost in 2nd round, finished #13 in Final Poll
2014-preason no votes, entered post season #26/27, finished #25

5 straight years of significant overachieving without any big name talent on his rosters. Next year they'll have Slocum running the show, and I bet he does a fantastic job with Aquino too. The battles between Oregon/Oregon State should be fantastic the next two seasons.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Didn't get to see the game last night...but I think Baylor would've won this one somewhat handily if they were more battle tested. Goes to show the strength of the Pac 12 and the value of playing teams with quality opposing bigs to challenge your own. I think if Brown had more experience going up against top rate post players, she would've been able to do a better job on Gulich.

I hope Tennessee cans Holly and goes HARD after Rueck. I have full confidence he would revitalize the program. The job he did at George Fox was remarkable, and the impact he's made at Oregon State is even more impressive. Him and Schaefer might be the 2 best up and coming coaches in women's basketball right now. Relatively unheralded players improve so much under Rueck, and they regularly beat more talented teams. Look at Rueck's results vs. expectations:
2018-preseason #17/19, entered post season #13 and should finish top 8.
2017-preseason #25/17, entered post season #8, finished in Sweet 16 (#9 in Final Poll)
2016-preseason #10/9, entered post season #6, finished in Final Four and #2 in Final Poll
2015-preseason #20/21, entered post season #10, lost in 2nd round, finished #13 in Final Poll
2014-preason no votes, entered post season #26/27, finished #25

5 straight years of significant overachieving without any big name talent on his rosters. Next year they'll have Slocum running the show, and I bet he does a fantastic job with Aquino too. The battles between Oregon/Oregon State should be fantastic the next two seasons.

I agree, Rueck is a fantastic coach. Just listen to him talk in the post-game presser.

As to Tennessee, I don't see Holly getting fired. But if she was, I don't think Rueck would take the Tennessee job if offered. For some coaches, I think Rueck is one, its not about money. Its about feeling that this is were you belong. This is home. Its about having your program, your culture and your fans. Tennessee will always be Pat's team. That is a big negative to coaching Tennessee.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Maybe it's the schedule, but I know we had to work very, very hard (and get the game of a lifetime from our PG) to keep them from the FF last year and it really could have gone either way in regulation. I tend to think losing Wallace showed up big tonight. They seemed to be missing leadership.

I’m not certain about the impact of losing Wallace, at least stat-wise. With Morris taking her spot, they easily outplayed their opponents for 5.5 games until last night.

Against the Beavers, she was the only player to go for 40 minutes. She had only 1 turnover and 1 foul, was 3rd in scoring, and led the team in assists. I thought she pretty much carried the Lady Bears in the 4th quarter on her back.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm ashamed tonight was my first time watching Oregon State all season. After tonights performance from Gulich I am DEFINITELY a fan. I think her skillset will fit in well in the W. She certainly outplayed Kalani Brown... Gulich is very similar to Wilson to me, both are mobile bigs that pass, put it on the deck and hit the 15 footer.. Gulich being a mobile 5 and Wilson a mobile 4. Stationary bigs like Brown and McCowan have problems with bigs like Gulich and Wilson and tonight was another example of that, just like the SEC Championship game. Gulich will be a HUGE loss.

With all of that said, I have nothing but the utmost faith and respect for Rueck. He is one of my favorite coaches and I have no problem assuring you that he'll put a competitive team on the floor next year. People spelled doom and gloom after the losses of Hamblin.. and Weisner.. and Weise.. hasn't stopped Rueck before. He'll prevail again.

I agree with your accolades on Gulich and will share one more. She didn’t get rattled when treated by Baylor as a pin ball.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Probably a repeat but I'm not looking through 328 posts. See it again or for the first time:

Reaction Score
I think it's funny that everyone is saying Baylor's weak schedule caused them to lose. You know who played a worse schedule than Baylor?

Oregon St

Reaction Score
Mulkey only made two final fours with Griner. Two. And only one NC. With Griner AND Sims. Just saying.
That pretty much says it all. If you can only win ONE championship with Griner and Sims, how the heck are you ever going to come close again.
She's not in any shape or form an elite coach, just because she's won a NC.
She refuses to learn that she needs to schedule top ranked out of conference opponents. And I doubt she will now. That says a ton about her, and her inability to adapt and change.
Oregon State played a good game and is a good team. Their coach Scott Rueck is quite good and coached the out of the Baylor coach.
Baylor is another program, like Tennessee, which still gets very good recruits and transferrees and only go as far as their undisciplined athletic skills can take them.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I think it's funny that everyone is saying Baylor's weak schedule caused them to lose. You know who played a worse schedule than Baylor?

Oregon St
well .... one of them had to win, so whatever the argument I guess it is proved....

Reaction Score
I think I actually watched Oregon in the conference final -- Ionescu was awesome, floor design was plug ugly. I may have been thinking of an earlier conference game that went down to the wire and showed good closing skills -- UCLA & USC maybe.
UCLA came roaring back in that OT semi-final Pac 12 game and missed a layup at end of regulation. It was an awesome pass Canada to Drummer. Onyenwere needs Kelli Hayes minutes. Onyenwere is higher impact and gets results. Hayes takes up space and is soft. Terrific person but Onyenwere gives them a better chance to win. In 15 minutes 8 points. Hayes 17 minutes 2 points vs Texas. Onyenwere better rebounder and defender too. Give her some Drummond minutes too.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree, Rueck is a fantastic coach. Just listen to him talk in the post-game presser.

As to Tennessee, I don't see Holly getting fired. But if she was, I don't think Rueck would take the Tennessee job if offered. For some coaches, I think Rueck is one, its not about money. Its about feeling that this is were you belong. This is home. Its about having your program, your culture and your fans. Tennessee will always be Pat's team. That is a big negative to coaching Tennessee.
Plus, the fans are overwhelmingly over-entitled lunatics with a psychopathic bent. The way they cynically dragged Greg Schiano's name through the mud just because they didn't want him as their new football coach was revealing in the extreme.

Reaction Score

Oregon St
Respectfully disagree. PAC 12 schedule by itself prepared them for the tourney. They beat each other to pieces. You don’t need a strong OOC and you’d still be ready. Quality teams with different styles. From physicality to spread you out and shoot your brains out to incredibly athletic teams. It’s all in the PAC 12 right now. Best group of coaches in WBB. No better way to test your mettle than playing in the PAC 12 the past 3 years. They make each other better. With the exception of UConn’s OOC schedule no better preparation for the tourney.
Big 12 allowed Baylor to live in a fantasy world since Joyner Holmes was suspended and out of shape so they never even got Texas best shot. Baylor was haughty and full of themselves. I am forgetting about Wallace’s injury. That was a huge factor in them losing

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Brown panicked when she realized how good Gulich is. And that, to me, is ultimately on Mulkey for not giving her players the kind of in-season challenges that would have exposed, and so allowed them to address, their weaknesses.

Panicked is strong. She wasn't ready to deal with that. She said so pretty much in the presser. But it is like A'ja when she has a bad game ... my bad, now I move on. Gotta feel it more, gotta have fire.

Reaction Score
I like that Kim gave props to Gulich in the presser. Baylor didn't have an answer for her. Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I was not impressed by Brown vs Oregon State last night. Too many 15 footers (she can hit them, but that's not the shot she should be looking for) and she looked like a bull in a china shop with her post moves. I try not to overly criticize refs, but they let her do whatever she wanted last night. She should have been in foul trouble.

She also simply does not appear to be in shape to me. McCowan is a similar player and it's obvious she's much improved in the conditioning area compared to when she arrived on campus.
I was similarly unimpressed by Brown last nights performance. She had a very good first half, then disappeared in the second. Having your coach choose to sit Wilson on the defensive end because they needed defensive pressure is not what one expects or should get out of a supposed AA.
Gulich was by far the best big on the floor, although Cox is very good and will only get better.
I'm not a big fan of immobile, not well conditioned bigs who have an impact mostly because of their size. McGowan while improved and improving in conditioning and play, still fits that category. Most of what she accomplishes is because she's do big, tall and strong. But that type of player usually doesn't do very well against a mobile, skilled big like Gulich and what I see happening already with AZ. She's all over the floor most importantly on the defensive end and next year she will be so scarily good, she will definitely be in play for NPOY.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Really? Honest question since Cox fouled out.
She actually should have fouled out earlier. She played very aggressively all night. For example at the 3;30 mark in the 45th Q. she ran over Corsdale in an attempt for the ball, unfortunately Gorsdale was in her way, but their was no call.. That should have been her fifth. Her actual fifth could not have not been called. She pretty much pushed Gulich down right in front of the ref.

Reaction Score
She actually should have fouled out earlier. She played very aggressively all night. For example at the 3;30 mark in the 45th Q. she ran over Corsdale in an attempt for the ball, unfortunately Gorsdale was in her way, but their was no call.. That should have been her fifth. Her actual fifth could not have not been called. She pretty much pushed Gulich down right in front of the ref.
I though Cox fourth foul Gulich driving past Cox for a basket was a bad call. The final foul was a good call. She pushed Gulich to the floor though Gulich might have sold it a bit

Reaction Score
Gulich (brown) vs Brown (green) Shot Chart

BE1263E2-8550-4165-97D2-62131A9AB186.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01