Oregon St (15) @ Stanford (4) - 2/21/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon St (15) @ Stanford (4) - 2/21/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
OSU had a chance to cut into the lead even more but Slocum dribbled for about 27 seconds of the shot clock, hoisted a deep contested 3. Just a horrendous possession.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A pair of big shots by Kiana. Jones got her first bucket of the second half.

63-57 w/ 35 sec. left, OSU ball following a timeout.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That possession was going nowhere. Stanford fouled, 4.8 sec. left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Slocum bricked it. This season has just absolutely sucked for OSU. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
I'd say no. Tonight was their chance to salvage things, not getting it done. Unless they get hot in Vegas and beat a couple of the top half teams from the conference.
I'm not sure. Their 8 losses are the 2 closest PAC12 losses to #3 Oregon, 2 3 pt losses to #4 Stanford, #8 UCLA in OT on their court, split #11 Arizona, split a ranked ASU, and one "bad" 6 pt loss at USC. Other good wins include over #12 Depaul and #23 Missouri State. As long as they win their next 4 games, even if they lose that 2nd PAC12 tourney game it will be to a top 8 team. I still say they host. I still don't see another 4 seed who would be as deserving as OSU.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm not sure. Their 8 losses are the 2 closest PAC12 losses to #3 Oregon, 2 3 pt losses to #4 Stanford, #8 UCLA in OT on their court, split #11 Arizona, split a ranked ASU, and one "bad" 6 pt loss at USC. Other good wins include over #12 Depaul and #23 Missouri State. As long as they win their next 4 games, even if they lose that 2nd PAC12 tourney game it will be to a top 8 team. I still say they host. I still don't see another 4 seed who would be as deserving as OSU.

Maybe. So close so many times, but they kept coming up short.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There's a more than decent chance we'll be seeing a rematch in exactly 2 weeks. Strong likelihood this is the 3 vs. 6 game on Friday of the Pac-12 tournament.

Stanford has a 1-game lead on UCLA but the much harder stretch of games to close. If they end up tied for 2nd in the standings, UCLA holds the tiebreaker by H2H.

Oregon State is now in 6th, two games behind ASU, and even if ASU manages to lose 2 of their next 3 games, ASU would hold the tiebreaker by virtue of their win over Oregon.

This is where we're really seeing the impact of the unbalanced conference schedules.

Reaction Score
With a three point loss, Rueck has only himself to blame given Stanford 4 points on the technical (2 free throws which also gave up an OSU possession that Stanford scored).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maddie is not Brown.

Maddie is just not a Pac 12 starter caliber player, but what options do they have? Neither are Thropay or Morris, and 4 guards probably isn't gonna work either.

I thought Goodman finally got her season back on track, but she's absolutely disappeared again.

Reaction Score
Maddie is just not a Pac 12 starter caliber player, but what options do they have? Neither are Thropay or Morris, and 4 guards probably isn't gonna work either.

I thought Goodman finally got her season back on track, but she's absolutely disappeared again.
Agree on both counts.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
PHEW. Got see this one live and I was 100% convinced OSU was going to come back when they were down 12. It felt like we were getting stagnant on offense, throw in a few turnovers, and *bam*, we had ourselves a down-to-the-wire ballgame. So glad we didn't throw it all away after building up such a solid lead late in the 3rd and early in the 4th.

Seeing OSU in person for the first time, I was even more impressed with Slocum than on TV - she has incredible moves and a magic touch. That said, some of them include hooking arms and throwing elbows. There was also one time she shoved Williams straight to the ground and there was no call. In general, I thought this was one of OSU's most physical games, but maybe it was the live vs. TV differential.

For whatever reason, we've always seemed more capable of containing Pivec than Slocum, and perhaps for that reason, I didn't come away with a strong impression of her. But dang can she rebound for being 5'10".

Jones? Wow. She has so much finesse for a 6'4" frosh post. I was very impressed with her ease in the paint. The difference between her and Dodson was really striking. Jones could execute back to basket moves and practically glide the ball past Dodson, whereas on the other end, Dodson would either get blocked or else miss the hoop entirely.

Speaking of struggling post players, totally agree about Washington - I feel almost certain OSU would have left with the W if Brown had been able to play. From my one-game sample, the problem is that while Washington is a very competent paint defender for someone 6'1", she has so little offense either off the dribble or shooting, and OSU is already offensively challenged at times. When Jones was off the floor, we either were able to impose our will inside when on offense (with Morris defending), or else we could close in on Slocum and Pivec on defense because Washington wasn't a very credible shooting or layup threat.

As for Stanford, I've been worried lately that we're one Williams off night or injury away from really falling apart on offense. Williams looked like she banged her hip and was not quite herself in the second half. She willed just enough to keep us going, and she has such a commanding floor presence in using the clock and banking clutch shots when necessary. But: NO ONE else stepped up. Lexie did just enough in the end, but her turnover with 17 seconds left was inexplicable - she practically THREW the ball away. I feel like we're lucky we walked away with the W given how poorly we handled those last three minutes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom