Oregon @ Southern California - 1/05/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Oregon @ Southern California - 1/05/18

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just slightly OT, but I saw a quick preview of the WAC in the paper today. EVERY member of the conference is 300+ RPI after OOC. Holy cow! Have you ever heard of anything like that before? Kind of a shame to think any of those teams is gonna get an auto bid.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just slightly OT, but I saw a quick preview of the WAC in the paper today. EVERY member of the conference is 300+ RPI after OOC. Holy cow! Have you ever heard of anything like that before? Kind of a shame to think any of those teams is gonna get an auto bid.
Surely they meant 200+? Highest is Seattle at #208 at the moment.

upload_2018-1-5_22-20-8.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Apparently my eyes were a little blurry when I glanced at the article. They had the same numbers you posted, I just read it incorrectly. Every team 200+ is still bad, but not as bad.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If these numbers are correct, Chicago State has 51 straight losses, yet there are still about 25 teams or so ranked worse than they are? How can that be possible? 51 straight losses is almost two whole seasons. It will be by the end of this season if they don't win any.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If these numbers are correct, Chicago State has 51 straight losses, yet there are still about 25 teams or so ranked worse than they are? How can that be possible? 51 straight losses is almost two whole seasons. It will be by the end of this season if they don't win any.
Do you mean how is it possible that they've lost 51 straight, or how is it possible that there are some 25 teams ranked below them?

Chicago State hasn't won a game since February 4, 2016.

Obviously, the RPI doesn't reflect previous years' results. Their 0-15 record doesn't put them last in the RPI because they have a better strength of schedule (which is 75% of RPI) than the teams ranked behind them.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Do you mean how is it possible that they've lost 51 straight, or how is it possible that there are some 25 teams ranked below them?

Chicago State hasn't won a game since February 4, 2016.

Obviously, the RPI doesn't reflect previous years' results. Their 0-15 record doesn't put them last in the RPI because they have a better strength of schedule (which is 75% of RPI) than the teams ranked behind them.

Yes, I realize the prior year doesn't count, but no matter how bad any teams' schedules are, you would think if they have at least one or more wins they'd be ranked higher than a winless team in the RPI. There's a four win team on the list, Utah Valley State, that's 10 points behind winless Chicago State in the RPI. They must be playing nothing but glorified high school teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes, I realize the prior year doesn't count, but no matter how bad any teams' schedules are, you would think if they have at least one or more wins they'd be ranked higher than a winless team in the RPI. There's a four win team on the list, Utah Valley State, that's 10 points behind winless Chicago State in the RPI. They must be playing nothing but glorified high school teams.
That's just the nature of the RPI. Strength of schedule is heavily weighted. Just the same as how Tennessee, despite being one of only four undefeated teams, is currently #10 in the RPI and several teams with one or two losses are ahead of them.

upload_2018-1-6_8-27-57.png

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I taped the USC Oregon game as it was on too late for me and watched it this morning. What a delightful game to watch!

As noted, the first quarter with kind of strange with Oregon scoring only seven points. I think they shot 14% for the quarter. In the third quarter about halfway through the announcer mentioned they were hitting over 80% and then they had another one, yet they weren't blowing USC off the court.

Last year, USC had a 16 point lead at halftime but ran out of steam and couldn't finish. It seemed like that might be what would happen in this game is USC has a strong starting five but not a lot of bench while Oregon has a lot of firepower but USC didn't quit, the five-point lead back to two or three and then tied up with about a minute and a half to go.

I wasn't impressed by USC's time management in the last minute — why are you standing around eating clock when you are behind — but other than that one nit, this was one of the most exciting games I've watched this year.

It's a shame that USC is o for three in conference, but keep an eye on them that might surprise somebody.

Is great to see Sadie Edwards play — it wasn't her best game but glad to see she's doing well.

I like USC's energy. Mazyck was especially impressive, but as someone else noted Simon also had a great game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom